Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

New Bar Build

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

Hello All,

I recently took a new job in California (after 15 years in Rainy Seattle) and am totally hyped to finally build a Tiki Bar. I went up to the roof the other day to watch the sunset and realized that we have a wonderful view of Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands. from our shop as we are about 1.5miles from the water.
I suddenly had a vision of the whole team up there enjoying Mai Tais and listening to some slack key music, fire pit, the whole nine.

Now I just need to build it. :)
It may take some time but I wanted to document and share my progress which is why came here.
I will be reading up through forums for tips and ideas and I appreciate feedback and advice.
From the beautiful bars that I have seen built from this sight I know I am in the right place. :)

Here is the area I intend to build in

I have already got a few folks at work excited and will start drawing out designs and posting progress as we go.

Again, all input is appreciated!

I also want to give a shout out to my buddy Mr. Pupu Pants. We used to work together and discussing his build with him is what got me fired up.

Mahalo for looking.

T to the IKI

Wow! What a great site for a tiki bar. Waiting with much anticipation.
Mucho luck and best wishes!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-11-23 20:17 ]

Nice view indeed. Thinking out load here...those kind of roofs can be problematic when it rains...be sure you have good drainage set up. Will you have stairs on the outside of the building...and be sure you have building permits. OK..those are my thoughts...looking forward to your successful build...should be fun.

H

I would recommend against putting a bar on the roof of your building.
The truss system isn't designed for that type of load, nor is the roofing good for a lot of foot traffic.
I realize that it will be for employees only, but that's still too much walking about on it.
To pull a building permit, you'll need to get an engineered set of plans.
Unless you're willing to do some major underpinning or reconstruction of that part of the roof, try to find a different location.

Not trying to dash any hopes, just my two cents worth.

I'm no engineer so I have no idea if Heath is right or not. (I hope he's wrong and you can build it there, the views are to die for!)

But in any case good luck on your quest for a tiki bar, it's an amazing ride. Mr. Pupu-pants has one of my all time favorite bars so if he's your friend and possible adviser you're in great hands!!!

Have fun!

Pages: 1 4 replies