Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Displaying Mugs

Pages: 1 26 replies

T

So, my mugs are STILL in boxes, I've been in the saucer house a month and a half now, and I still am pondering the perfect way to display them. I would love to see pics of everyone's tiki mug displays to see if I can pilfer anyone's ideas... plus, I think it would just be a cool thread to see pics of everyone's collection!

Jane,
First I want to say I was disappointed when you posted you weren't coming to the Hukilau. I'll meet you one of these days. Second, "The Saucer House?", did you move? Are there pictures? As far as displaying mugs the narrow shelf set high on the wall has always worked well for me. It is out of the way, easy to install and pretty cheap.

Here is another easy shop project, relatively inexpensive and easy to make. I've seen your work; costumes, painting and other creative projects. If you've never worked in wood, I think you can handle it easily. Bookcases and shelving are in demand, do you ever notice thrift stores never really sell shelving units? They are always used to display flea market bric a brac. The ones you find for sale tend to be expensive

Here are some othe shelves I made. Home Depot (In Canada is it "Igloo Depot"?) has melamine stock in wood look or white. It is pre drilled for small pegs so all the shelves are adjustable. These shelves took me one day to do, I rented a saw, it was pretty easy.

I'm curious to see how others display their mugs.
Mahalo,
Al

1. Yes, we moved - the 'Saucer House' is actually our nickname for our new condo, and it has one round curved wall of floor to ceiling windows in the living/dining/kitchen, hence it kinda looks like you are looking out from a flying saucer over the city 29 floors up.

2. I like the long lean shelf up high - that's where I'm leaning to right now - above the kitchen cabinets. Very cool.

Al,
Very cool pad...
I dig the walls and ceiling.

TK

From Tiki King's 821 club...

The Bamboo cross rails provide some earthquake protection. The mugs here are two and three deep. in the next version, I think I will only go one deep to make for easier veiwing

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2003-07-15 16:33 ]

B

I just got done revamping our Display Shelves in the Dining Room. My Bobble Head and Pez collection have been sent to the Computer Room, to free up room for my newest mugs.

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2003-07-20 17:59 ]

This is all great to see... because of the saucer house's lack of wall space, there is really limited things for me to do. This evening I just finished taking the mugs out of boxes and putting them in the kitchen cupboards for now... sigh!
The old place had built in shelving so it was no problem. This place is all steel and glass - a great look for our mod saarinen furniture, but more difficult for the tiki mugs.

I took the Walt Disney World Polynesian Village ones out to the balcony and put candles in them... made a nice little 'shrine' out there. That's really the best thing to do with those mugs. Too heavy to drink out of, and not really a 'mug' anyway. But they look fab all lit up from inside.

I am thinking of getting a cement garden moai from Loblaws for the balcony too - saw them the other day as we were pulling out of the parking lot so I couldn't get a price... this info is probably only useful for Ontarians anyway... don't even know if there are Loblaws stores outside Ontario - however, the inclusion of Moai in the regular grocery store garden statuary department shows that buyers think the Canadina general public is ready to go tiki... so that can only be a good thing!

Try a thick fishing line for Earthquake proofing. You can run it across the bottom and mid section and still see your mugs. I always suggest it when "muggers" buy our shelves for mug displays.

Or better yet just move off the faultline! :wink:

R

HEY FISH! Hold the phone!

Saucer house? I missed out on this. Got pics? The name "saucer house" alone is conjuring up great mid-century images in my head, but I wanna see the real deal!

And Al, I love you guy's bar. You've actually caused me to covet. Is that in a basement, or do you guys have a room dedicated to it?

S

I shop the flea markets and tat stores for small wicker and bamboo curios and shelves. My apartment is spacious, but wall space is highly limited. Using small Tiki compilations here and there allows me to display all my mugs and add visual interest to many areas of my home. Keep the Tiki in sight no matter which room I happen to visit (including my weight room!)

K
kctiki posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 8:13 PM

On 2003-07-22 15:46, scigirl wrote:
I shop the flea markets and tat stores for small wicker and bamboo curios and shelves...

I like to use the small shelves too, here are a few pictures

[ Edited by: kctiki on 2003-08-07 20:20 ]

D

I am so glad someone asked this question, I have been wondering the same thing, I am remodeling my house (will it ever get finished?) so all of my mugs are also in the kitchen cupboards :-? just waiting for some shelving ideas.

Hey KCtiki,
That's one ugly coconut head you have on top of your shelf. Only a mother could love.
No offence. :)

K
kctiki posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2003 4:00 PM

Poor ol' Kaw-Liga, he never got a kiss

C
croe67 posted on Sat, Aug 9, 2003 7:37 PM

This summer I found some nice, narrow shelves at IKEA that have worked great for my Tiki Mugs - they are quite narrow - only about a total of 3" deep - you can tell from the pictures below how narrow they are & some of the wider mugs hang over the edge a bit. The shelves come unstained & I think they were $2.99 or 3.99 a piece. We have a teak bar, so I stained them to be a bit darker.

Good Luck!!!

Took me quite a while to find shelves that were just what I wanted!

[ Edited by: croe67 on 2003-08-09 19:43 ]

[ Edited by: croe67 on 2003-08-09 19:45 ]

Those IKEA shelves are great. I put some across a wall for displaying mugs. The shelves are nice and discreet but it would be nice if they were about 1/2 inch deeper.
Aloha,
:tiki:

F

I too was eyeing those IKEA shelves. When I saw them on display in Costa Mesa they had a bunch of finishes- I wasnt aware that you had to stain them yourself... or do they also offer an unstained version for color-matching?

C

At the IKEA I was at (Chicago), they only had unstained ones - but you lucky West coast-types may have more options at your IKEA

K

I can't find them on the website. We don't have an IKEA in Atlanta, are they in the catalog?

C

I just checked & didn't see them in the catalog, unfortunately - I only saw them "live" in the store. & I don't have any still in the packaging to tell you the name or with a code # - anyone else have any with the info. still on them? Or a recipt that lists the name of each item? I'm sure if you can get the item name or number that they would probably ship them your way.
Best of luck!!

Hey Croe, I like the "Celia Cruz" wig on the Monster Marq. !AZUCAR!

CREO,
Nice shelves. Unfortunately, I live in EarthQuake country.
So... if the tiki huts a rockin.... scramble like hell to save your tiki mugs!
:tiki:
Cheers

C

Yes, I think Monster Marq now prefers to be called Monster Marq-ette when here in our Tiki bar....

& the lack of Earthquakes here in the land of Cows & Cheese makes my mugs safe on even these narrow shelves - hah! - us Midwest tikiphiles finally have an advantage over you West-coast types who have the real advantage of living in the land of Tiki everyday :)

C

On 2003-08-12 18:07, croe67 wrote:
....the lack of Earthquakes here in the land of Cows & Cheese makes my mugs safe on even these narrow shelves - hah! - us Midwest tikiphiles finally have an advantage over you West-coast types who have the real advantage of living in the land of Tiki everyday :)

at least until the New Madrid fault hiccups again :(

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Jun 13, 2010 7:21 AM

Any other advice on how to display mugs? I am going to make a shelf and I'm looking for ideas and recommendations. Any other thread on how to make your own Tiki mug shelf? This is a useful thread and deserves to be revived after 7 years of slumber. Aloha.

Pages: 1 26 replies