Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

2014 San Diego Tiki Home Crawl - March 8

Pages: 1 38 replies

Now scheduled for March 8

Aloha, San Diegans! Mark your calendars for the 2014 San Diego tiki home crawl, taking place Saturday, March 8.

I’m so excited to announce that we have four great houses on this year’s crawl, none of which were featured last time! Our hosts for the 2014 crawl are:

1. Lunavideogames (Treg and Emily): “Tiki the Hut”
  2. Karl S.
  3. Kiwi Steve (Steve and Amy)
  4. Tiki Slinger (John and Elena): “The Lookout Lounge”

We want to make the crawl as inclusive as possible, while also ensuring that it doesn’t exceed the limits of what our hosts can accommodate. In light of this, we’ll have a slightly smaller group than last time and limit the number of crawlers to about 40. If you’re interested in crawling, please PM me your email address no later than January 31.

I’ll send an Evite to all interested crawlers on February 1. You will need to RSVP "yes" to the Evite in order to reserve your place on the crawl. When the crawl reaches capacity, RSVPs will be closed. Hosts' addresses will not be posted here on TC, but will be emailed to all “yeses” one week before the crawl.

Note that this is a drive-yourself event, so please plan accordingly.

Big thanks in advance to all our hosts, and looking forward to crawling with you all March 8!

[ Edited by: SoCalTikiGal 2014-01-19 13:35 ]

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Cleaned up some edited bys. - 2014-01-20 10:20 ]

YAY!

On 2013-11-26 20:49, SoCalTikiGal wrote:
Aloha, San Diegans! Mark your calendars for the 2014 San Diego tiki home crawl, happening Saturday, March 1.

More details to come after the holidays. Mahalo!

Hi SoCal Gal, Are you gonna allow us heathen Tiki-phreaks from up north (L A & Orange Counties) to come and enjoy the fruits of your labors? Sure hope so,we had a blast last year.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-11-27 21:58 ]

Hi SoCal Gal, Are you gonna allow us heathen Tiki-phreaks from up north (L A & Orange Conties) to come and enjoy the fruits of your labors? Sure hope so,we had a blast last year.
Cheers

Absolutely--you needn't be from San Diego to be a crawler. Heathen Tiki-phreaks from anywhere are welcome.

[ Edited by: SoCalTikiGal 2013-11-27 20:12 ]

I’ll keep an eye on dis thread.
Mahalo

A

Road trip!

S

Sounds great...looking forward to hearing the details.

Hmmmmmm...might plan on that and then a tour of the LA Tiki spots through the week and following weekend (hopefully there will be an ITMP on the second weekend in March). Marking my calendar.

T

Thanks for organizing- not sure if you were at Bali Hai this past week (missed it, had to work), but look forward to talking about the crawl again soon- I'm (still) working on the home bar project...

Very cool!!! Do you have a list of bar/homes we will be visiting this time?

Had a blast last time and its one of the reasons I moved to San Diego, met so many good people that turned into great friends.

On 2013-12-13 22:50, Derek Mitchell wrote:
Very cool!!! Do you have a list of bar/homes we will be visiting this time?

Had a blast last time and its one of the reasons I moved to San Diego, met so many good people that turned into great friends.

So glad to see so much enthusiasm! I'm excited to say that we have a slew of new hosts opening up their homes to us this year...The final list will be announced after the holidays. Stay tuned!

Please see updated first post for details on the crawl...just two months away!

whoot!

Due to some unforeseen scheduling issues that have arisen for the organizers and some of our hosts, the crawl is being pushed back one week to Saturday, March 8. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes for any of our guests--but, needless to say, we can't have a crawl without our awesome hosts. We hope everyone can still join us on this new date.

If you're interested in participating as a crawler, please see the first post in this thread for details.

Mahalo!
April

Definitely would like to participate! my fella was chatting with John yesterday and sounds like a great time! will PM you our contact info! :)

Will this be evening or day time?

I believe we are trying to have it from 1 pm to 6:30 pm, so day to evening.

Yep, midday to evening. Though this is a drive-yourself event, so you can join in late or leave early as needed.

P

I'm afraid I'm out then. :( Long mandatory work day. Hopefully there's an after-party somewhere!

we r super excited!!! loved last one we went 2!!! thanx 4 setting it up :)

T

Alohhha! We're all signed up, just wondering if a D.D.carpool plan has been conjured up? We'd be happy to buy in!

T

Aloha everyone! We are flying in on Friday and renting a car, so we thought we would get a mini-van just in case we can rustle up a D.D. - the van is on us, but does anyone have an idea for a driver.... maybe easy money for an ambitious teen? open to suggestions! TiKiTnT

T

Since no one's posted in a bit, look forward to seeing/ meeting everyone on tomorrow's crawl. Weather should be perfect- and warm.

Thanks to all the hosts- and to April for organizing all....

A

Should be a great time. See you tomorrow!

3-2-1... Tiki!!!!

T

Up early for work after a fantastic crawl w/ the SD Ohana. Huge thanks to SoCalTikiGal for organizing, and huge thanks to the hosts for providing all throughout the day. I tried to take a bunch of photos throughout the day to document- unfortunately, a lot of the photos aren't that sharp, apparently not using my phone camera didn't work out the best... :wink:

It was another perfect day in San Diego, which created a bit of traffic to the first stop- Treg & Emily's "Tiki the Hut."

Traffic heading towards the beach...

A great way to kick off the crawl, huge amount of food and variety of cocktails to choose from.

Everyone was busy admiring the bar and Treg's rum and mug collection in the bar- while Treg was focused making drinks... unlike this photo:

or this one...

Steve & Amy, hosts a few stops later...

Next up was a short drive to Karl & Angie's bar in Clairemont. Beautiful home and a backyard w/ fantastic landscaping and details that everyone was loved.

Karl busy behind the bar:

Great details everywhere- the sunken Moai in the pond was my favorite:

Ed kept busy tray passing food, cocktails, and water (it was pretty warm)..

Treg & Emily, hosts of the first stop, able to relax a bit...

Ted's epic aloha shirt got compliments throughout the day....

Nice pendant, Derek...

Karl kept going:

Mugs need some Vitamin D too...

(more pics later)...

Thank you Tiki Crawl hosts & hostesses for opening your homes to us! This was our first crawl and we had a wonderful time! So impressed by the hospitality and friendship shared! You've inspired us to want to host a stop on next year's crawl!

Huge, huge thanks once again to all our hosts--Treg and Emily, Karl, Steve and Amy, and John and Elena--for allowing us to come visit your tiki bars. We're all lucky to be able to experience your beautiful homes, great drinks, and gracious hospitality.

Big thanks, too, to all the crawlers who helped make yesterday such a fun day. It was wonderful to see so many familiar faces and meet new folks as well. I'm already looking forward to next year!

And thanks, TikiAno, for posting the great pics. Can't wait to see the rest!

Mahalo!

W
Wedgie posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2014 2:51 PM

Thanks for posting those pics, TikiAno. And many thanks to our gracious hosts and to SoCalTikiGal. Joni and I had a great time, as our circle of tiki friends continues to grow with each event we attend. Can't wait for next year!

Huge Mahalos again to April, all our generous hosts, and all the super friendly and fun crawlers yesterday! It was our first crawl too, and we enjoyed every minute of it. We're feeling a little guilty for having a lazy day today instead of making a return tour for clean-up duty. Thanks so much for letting us enjoy your bars and doing all the work to throw such a cool, travelling party.

Cheers!

I'd like to chime in as well to thank everyone who helped organize, open their homes, and generally made this such a great day! Thoroughly enjoyed myself in the company of a bunch of really great people. Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.

[ Edited by: whoseyrtiki 2014-03-09 17:27 ]

T

More Bar stop photos... John & Elena (our final hosts) stopped for a photo op as we left Clairemont:

Next up was a stop in Kensington at Kiwi Steve & Amy's. Not only was their mug and art collection beyond compare, their hospitality was generous- all crawlers enjoyed drinks in ceramic mugs- and that shrimp ceviche was delicious!

Here's a blurry photo of Kiwi Steve in front of one of his many showcases of mugs:

And John oohing and ahhing over some of their rare mugs:

a few of their Munktiki selections:

One of the showcases...

Part of another...

Coconut Shrimp ceviche, Kona Banana Bread...

Walking through the house took you toward the Oasis in the backyard...

The bar towards the back, as the queue excitedly got ready to try the hosts' drinks..

Amy's drinks were (obviously) delicious, w/ homemade falernum and more...

A rare moment where Amy stopped making drinks...

Personal mugs and mugs from the hosts lined up on the bar...

Derek & Miss Hell/ Michelle mugging for the camera...

A few chose to cool off in their beautiful pool...

The waterfall was pretty bad ass...

Rattan fishtank close-up...

Muggin'...

Next up was a short drive to John & Elena's "Lookout Lounge"

The lounge was definitely a room w/ a view- and a perfect place to enjoy the end of the crawl- and watch the sunset....

(Awesome propane torches- before they were lit- I'm sure someone else has photos of them burning)...

John & Elena's home was a midcentury modern marvel- beautifully designed and stylized details. Unfortunately, I missed lots of great photos- the fireplace in the courtyard as you entered, the large moai mounted on the wall, and all of the art....

Everyone dug their living room. Here's our Tour Guide, April/ SoCalTikiGal reluctantly posing...

April, thanks for ALL the organizing, and putting up w/ these photos...

Who needs Palm Springs when you have El Cajon?

There was lots to eat and drink. John was kept busy behind the bar, slapping mint and pouring...

The Lounge had tons of seating, so everyone got to relax and talk about the day's crawling...

Right outside the Lounge Ted & Bamalamalu enjoyed watching the sunset...

Derek & Brad:

Spicy Zombie Sticks were fired up on the grill:

Some guests kept themselves busy without any cocktails...

Once again, thanks to all our hosts for your over the top hospitality and for showing all of the SD Ohana (and all of its guests) the love. Huge thanks to April for organizing all of this, I look forward to the next crawl!

I look forward to seeing others' photos- I obviously missed a whole lot of people on the crawl. There WERE lots of out of focus photos which I didn't post up- which I'll just have to blame on all that rum....

Muchos mahalos,

David / Tiki Ano

Well the highly anticipated second San Diego Tiki Home Crawl was a great day. What an awesome time to spend with new and old Ohana groove'n and lounge'n. Elena and I were so happy to see everyone enjoying themselves at the Lookout Lounge. I was going to caption these photos but I think they speak for themselves. Especially after the 5 gallons of libations. I must say, ya'll were look'n good, all dappered and dolled out in your aloha threads. Honorable mention goes out to Vanessa for her brilliant dress. She lit up the day and the evening with it, I asked her if it had an on/off switch. The last tiki peeps hung out around the fire till about midnight. Wow, that was a good one.

Thanks so much to DJ Glen Gorham for spinning the killer Tiki tunes. Also, to Tiki Roy for helping me at the bar and crafting the Midshipmen recipe (recipe below) and Tiki Pat for helping us prep and taking pictures. And a special thanks to Buzzy Meeker for making the awesome bar sign in short order. Thanks Chuck, Michael, Mike, Tim and Michelle for the kitchen prep. And Mike for grilling up the meat.

And to April the queen of the SD Tiki Home Crawl, Thank you so much for putting the whole thing together once again. And to the other Hosts, good job!

And I cannot forget to thank the Tiki Gods for the good weather, the previous weekend would've been a rough Crawl. Instead we had a picture-perfect day, literally.

Aloha,
John / Tiki Slinger and Elena / TikiModa

Midshipman

1 oz Gold Rum
1 oz Dark Rum
Juice of half of a lime
2 oz grapefruit juice
.75 oz #4 syrup
Generous dash bitters

A

Had a GREAT time. Thanks to everyone involved

We said it throughout the event and tried to personally thank each host but here it is again. Thanks to each host home and event organizers for such a nice Saturday.

It was very apparent that each host put effort and time into some very interesting and tasty drinks, the appetizers at each home truly hit the spot and the other crawlers were a delight.

Each of you has some inspiring design ideas in your home. Lots of potential at each stop.

Thank You.

Derek and Roxanne

These crawls look like SOOOOOOOOOO much fun! I am (as usual) TOTALLY jealous!

Our photos are on the South Pacific Room's Facebook Page.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthPacificRoom

Muchos MAHALOS to all of our FINE HOSTS!

Thanks for all the great pictures everyone. Let's see more!

Pages: 1 38 replies