Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Lucky Star Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 39 replies

I would like to first say hello . We are new to Tiki Central. Thanks for having us.

And now I would like to introduce my home Tiki bar. The Lucky Star Tiki Bar. (Follow us on twitter @lstartikibar)

I built this bar over the summer and it is not quit done but we got it to a point where we could use it on most nights. The back bar and behind the bar will be built in the spring. Anyway here is a little history.

My family has always been into or even in aviation. We are all pilots of one kind or another. My grandfather designed aircraft for Lockheed. We have always loved the old WWII war birds of the South Pacific. See where the tiki influences might come from? After we decided to build a tiki bar in our new home it was clear it was to be a WWII South Pacific Pilots Tiki bar. So we started building. Now my grandfather worked on the wing design for an airplane called the PV-1 Ventura or Vega Ventura. In Latin this is roughly translated to Lucky Star. Bam! we had a bar name. The Lucky Star Tiki Bar. It is an outdoor bar that is 3/4 covered and weather proof. It will be a full wet bar with 6 beer taps on the back wall with keg storage and cooling on the inside of the house. Again still in progress but I thought I would share my tiki madness with you all. Enjoy.

Will

the walls go up

three weeks later. Also note in the this photo the 500lbs bomb that is now a fire feature.

The artwork. This is a 3D model my uncle did of a Vega Ventura PV-1 with costume logo

this was taken last night. The photo wall will have photos of our friends and loved ones that have flown west.

I will post more as we take them.

Thanks for looking

Will

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2013-11-28 13:26 ]

[ Edited by: Lucky Star Tiki Bar 2013-12-01 18:18 ]

[ Edited by: Lucky Star Tiki Bar 2013-12-01 18:32 ]

And some more photos

The Trader Vic Tiki

It may be in the low 50's but we tiki on.

The other tiki

and the fire feature

[ Edited by: Lucky Star Tiki Bar 2013-12-01 18:35 ]

I like the Port Holes with the blue lights. Nice touch!

Looking good so far...like the aviation angle too. CHEERS :drink:

I just flew in on that PBY and I like what I'm seeing. It amuses me that having a 500lb bomb suspended over your tiki bar is not considered anything unusual - only in our wonderful world of tikiness.

Love your work.

T

Ditto MaukaHale and Vampiress. I love the blue lit portholes. And yes, the bomb is the bomb. Looks great, look forward to seeing more photos!

Welcome to TC Will! Where are you located? You have found the right place. Everyone here shares your passion for tiki.

I am very jealous of your big beautiful tikis. I'm guessing you're on the West Coast. I'm from NJ and I'd have to drive a LONG way from home for that kind of tiki goodness.

Keep posting pics as your bar progresses.

Love it! Some nice tikis and the south pacific pilots theme is really cool. I'm looking forward to more pictures as you add more later.

Thanks everybody for the great comments. You guys are very encouraging. We are having the best time ever getting in touch with our inner tiki's. It's been so much fun mixing our passion for aviation and tiki goodness. Perfect match I say.

We are on the west cost about 40 miles south of San Francisco, and just across the SF Bay from the First Trader Vic's. The two tikis are from Hawaii. We found them on line. Don't have the info handy right now but I will post it if you like.

On the yellow bomb we are going to stencil "Come in and get bombed" Oh it keeps going. I will keep adding pictures here. But also follow the bar on twitter @Lstartikibar

Thanks again totally feeling the tiki love

Will

First scorpion in The tiki bar. Oh this tiki lifestyle is pretty freaking awesome.

Happy thanks giving a few days late. Yes we are thankfull for our tiki bar.

Enjoy the weekend everybody

Will

M

Welcome to tiki were everything is fake-real and your only held back by your own imagination. Love that fire pit is that a real bomb?

Aloha lucky star
Great story/ inspiration
Good lookin so far
Keep it up
N cheers bruddah

Jon

Yup that is the tail section to a 500lb bomb. I rigged a fire ring and propane take to it. Quite the conversation starter. The yellow one is an old practice bomb, or something like that.

Vic gets a spot light.

$20 outdoor lamp modified to look more rustic or military

On 2013-12-01 08:28, Lucky Star Tiki Bar wrote:
Yup that is the tail section to a 500lb bomb. I rigged a fire ring and propane take to it. Quite the conversation starter. The yellow one is an old practice bomb, or something like that.

God, there are so many leads here I don't where to start -

Went over to Will's last night and got bombed.

That party at the Lone Start Tiki Bar was a real blast....etc....etc

Love it!

On 2013-12-01 18:41, Thurston Howell IV wrote:

On 2013-12-01 08:28, Lucky Star Tiki Bar wrote:

God, there are so many leads here I don't where to start -

Went over to Will's last night and got bombed.

That party at the Lone Start Tiki Bar was a real blast....etc....etc

Love it!

Right? So many for sure. We are going to put on the yellow bomb at the opening "Come in and get bombed"

And thanks it's been fun for sure.

The Palms have found their new home. Old ammo crates make awesome planters

New Med kit hangs on wall. In med kit there is a wash cloth, small towel, mouth wash, and Tums, you know for emergencies' Oh and some Tiki band aids, just in case.

Happy Holidays everybody

Okole Maluna

Mele Kalikimaka from the Lucky Star. We hope you all have the best Christmas ever. Tiki on!

Been working on the tiki bar.

Hey who's going to Tiki Oasis 14? Let's meet up and tiki.

PP

your bar is coming along nicely! looks like a fun place to hang out, sit by the bomb fire and have a drink!! too fun! love your hanging bomb and the use of the ammo box as a planter, great idea!!!!
keep the photos coming!
paul

Thanks we are having a blast with it. We hope to work on the back bar this week or next. Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep posting photos for sure. you can also fallow the bar on twitter @lstartikibar

Okole Maluna

On 2014-04-21 08:27, Pele Paul wrote:
your bar is coming along nicely! looks like a fun place to hang out, sit by the bomb fire and have a drink!! too fun! love your hanging bomb and the use of the ammo box as a planter, great idea!!!!
keep the photos coming!
paul

[ Edited by: Lucky Star Tiki Bar 2014-04-21 09:15 ]

PP

awesome guys!!! where are you located? Im out here in Hemet, not to far from the 215 fwy. if I can be of any help, let me know, Im always finding cool militaria stuff like you have in your yard as well as crates, boxes, and barrels that I have too many of!
Hope to see ya at Tiki Oasis

paul

We are up in NorCal in Menlo Park. It's about 40 miles south of San Francisco. I will keep that in mind Paul. And yes we will be at Tiki Oasis for sure. We must tiki. Already booked passage and rooms. Can't wait, sounds like it will be a blast.

Will

On 2014-04-21 09:38, Pele Paul wrote:
awesome guys!!! where are you located? Im out here in Hemet, not to far from the 215 fwy. if I can be of any help, let me know, Im always finding cool militaria stuff like you have in your yard as well as crates, boxes, and barrels that I have too many of!
Hope to see ya at Tiki Oasis

paul

I thought I would toss up some new photos of the The Lucky Star. We finished the back bar. One thing I have discovered about building and having a tiki bar. It is never finished. Hope you like the photos.

On 2015-03-10 21:32, Lucky Star Tiki Bar wrote:
One thing I have discovered about building and having a tiki bar. It is never finished. Hope you like the photos.

Ain't that the truth!

Just in case you didn't know, this is not a Tiki, but an American Indian Totem pole.

T

Nice job!

I love bombs.
Keep posting pic's.

T

On 2015-03-10 22:37, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Just in case you didn't know, this is not a Tiki, but an American Indian Totem pole.

looks like a marquesan on the top and generic tiki on the bottom. looks good in your place!

H

Good job, more pictures please.

PP

loving the new hand painted signs about being off limits and air attacks! Classic stuff !!!! gotta make myself some of those!!! hope to see ya folks if your ever down south here!!!

paul

Looking great and that Ku looks like he is enjoying himself!!!

Ya I we kinda knew that but didn't say anything to my uncle who had it made for us. So ya it's a tiki Kinda LOL :)

Oh and it is supposed to symbolize Passion, prosperity, and sex. I think or that is what we were told :)

We all have bought something we thought was Tiki, just to find out later it wasn't
but it doesn't mean it's not cool. :)

T

The first Trader Vic's had a tricycle and a snow sled hanging from the ceiling.

Kahiki had many "tiki" from Mexico.

Parrott's are not cool for your tiki bar because of Jimmy Buffet, BUT if they are from Bahooka
EVERYBODY wants one.

OR
four lifelike macaws whose plumage matches their implied countries of origin. "José" is red, white and green and speaks with a Mexican accent, "Michael" is white and green with an Irish brogue, "Pierre" is blue, white and red, and has a French accent,while red, black and white "Fritz" has a German accent
Are TOTALY tiki as we can see them at Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

AND Cantonese food is tiki because almost every tiki joint serves it.

Burlesque, Fezzes, Hotrods, Voodoo, Egyptian Theatres, All tiki.

As long as you hold the Party City décor all should be fine.

I do like your army outpost take on tiki.
Great job.

T

On 2015-03-11 21:44, Lucky Star Tiki Bar wrote:

Ya I we kinda knew that but didn't say anything to my uncle who had it made for us. So ya it's a tiki Kinda LOL :)

if he made it for you and intended it to be tiki, then why not? i dont get the native american totem pole thing. if you posted that on totemcentral they would run you out of town. :lol:

T

On 2015-03-12 04:10, tikiskip wrote:
The first Trader Vic's had a tricycle and a snow sled hanging from the ceiling.

Kahiki had many "tiki" from Mexico.

Parrott's are not cool for your tiki bar because of Jimmy Buffet, BUT if they are from Bahooka
EVERYBODY wants one.

OR
four lifelike macaws whose plumage matches their implied countries of origin. "José" is red, white and green and speaks with a Mexican accent, "Michael" is white and green with an Irish brogue, "Pierre" is blue, white and red, and has a French accent,while red, black and white "Fritz" has a German accent
Are TOTALY tiki as we can see them at Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

AND Cantonese food is tiki because almost every tiki joint serves it.

Burlesque, Fezzes, Hotrods, Voodoo, Egyptian Theatres, All tiki.

As long as you hold the Party City décor all should be fine.

I do like your army outpost take on tiki.
Great job.

Awesome. Ditto ditto ditto and ditto.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.