Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Date Change**Plastic Paradise is finally being shown in Los Angeles-MARCH 4TH***

Pages: 1 31 replies

http://www.kcet.org/shows/plastic_paradise_a_swingin_trip_through_americas_polynesian_obsession/plastic-paradise-a-swingin-trip-through-americas-polynesian-obsession.html

Tuesday March 4th at 9pm on KCET Los Angeles.

In the 1940s and '50s, the return of American GIs from the Pacific and the runaway success of James Michner's Pulitzer-winning Tales of the South Pacific (adapted into the famous musical) created a craze for all things Polynesian. This 'Tiki' culture - so named after the large, wooden sculptures popular throughout Polynesia - included candy-colored, rum-infused cocktails with names like the Shrunken Skull and the Deep Sea Diver, crazy Hawaiian shirts, exotic instrumental music fused with space-age sounds, and a nonstop party scene inhabited by self-styled nonconformists and swingers. Today, the spirit of Tiki endures among a new generation of Polynesian pop adherents, including painter Tiki Tom, musicians King Kukulele and the Haole Cats, cocktail anthropologist Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, and Tiki historian Sven Kirsten. PLASTIC PARADISE will explore this fascinating, little known, and surprisingly enduring subculture, culminating with a visit to the annual Hukilau celebration, a gathering of Tiki enthusiasts from around the country held every June at Fort Lauderdale's famed Mai-Kai Restaurant, itself one of the last great holdovers from Tiki's golden age - waterfalls, Polynesian floor show, and all.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2014-01-21 10:11 ]

Thanks for the heads up Lori.

Excited to finally see this. Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to see it! Thank you for posting!!

thanks for the heads up.
I am sure you will,
but can you please remind us as it gets closer?

Jeff(btd)

It would be cool if there could be a watching party at one of the Southern California tiki bars.

On 2013-12-20 14:38, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Lori.

p.s. Crazy Al was a punker??! lol..... :wink:

Followed the link says its on March 4th at 9pm. I guess they changed the date looked on my tv too, no showing for jan 28th. Kind of bummed.

Nash Grady, you're correct and yes, that does suck. I'll change the date on my post.

Sweet deal. Ive updated my calendar but ill keep checking back just in case they change it again.

Is it March 4th or March 9th now? :)

Oy vey, the 4th!

Bump.

Thanks Lori for keeping us updated!

T

I thought this was airing tonight but just checked the KCET website. These are the airdates/times they have listed:

Wed Mar 5 at 10:00PM
Mon Mar 10 at 6:00AM
Mon Mar 10 at 10:00AM
Wed Mar 12 at 6:00AM
Wed Mar 12 at 10:00AM
Fri Mar 14 at 10:00AM

O

I just looked up their schedule for tonight and it still shows to be on at 9pm?

T

KCET still shows that they are airing it tonight at 9:00PM. I double checked it on my dish tv guide and it confirmed the airing at 9pm.

My girlfriend said our DVR shows it airing tonight as well. Weird.

T

I have what I need to make my Mai Tai at 9pm.

I almost forgot about this, set the old DVR & I will check back with you peeps
on what you thought, Thanks again Lori for posting this.

Edited for damn sticky keyboard issues!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-03-04 20:02 ]

On 2014-03-04 18:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I almost forgot about this, set the old DVR & I will check back with you peeps
on what you though, Thanks again Lori for posting this.

You are welcome, sir!

So what was people's thoughts on this?

T

It was pretty good. Enjoyed viewing it. Wondering why a lot of focus was on the Hukilau event. Definitely should bring more people into the fold. Hopefully will make the Hukilau continue past this year.

S

On 2014-03-05 11:24, Tiki-ESP wrote:
It was pretty good. Enjoyed viewing it. Wondering why a lot of focus was on the Hukilau event. Definitely should bring more people into the fold. Hopefully will make the Hukilau continue past this year.

Mainly because the crew was Miami based and they intro to Tiki culture was Hukilau.

T

Good to know, thanks. Awesome nonetheless to get this out there regardless of the event.

B

I enjoyed it but wish there were more of the performances. If the Hukilau does end after this year I am very worried for the Mai Kai. Perhaps someone would be willing to take over administrating the event from Christie?

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2014/01/15/fom-announce-ohana-luau-by-the-sea
The Fraternal Order of Moai are going to put on Luau By The Sea in South Florida starting in 2015.

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2014 5:54 PM

My understanding is that the FOM event is a separate thing, and not necessarily a "passing of the torch" from Hukilau.

On 2014-03-05 17:54, JOHN-O wrote:
My understanding is that the FOM event is a separate thing, and not necessarily a "passing of the torch" from Hukilau.

Yes, it is. I'm sorry about the miscommunication.

I

I just now watched the Plastic Paradise show on Tiki. I actually teared up a bit during certain parts because I just love the feel of retro life style and Tiki is the ultimate. Made me want to go to Tiki Oasis this year.

Pages: 1 31 replies