Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

fogcutter

Pages: 1 13 replies

N

anyone a fan of this drink? i made a couple for the first time, following the bums revised vics version. i found it to be not very drinkable. 2oz of lemon made it an overly tart drink plus the mix of gin, brandy and rum didnt seem to blend well. it was more of a clash that left an unsavory aftertaste.

thoughts?

AF

I think the Fogcutter, and especially the pictured Tiki Ti version, is a really great drink but also misunderstood.

The drink only has two problems as I can tell. One is a persons reaction to the question "What's in a Fogcutter?" It's three liquor mix of Gin, Rum & Brandy turn a lot of customers off right away. The second is the inconsistency of the different versions offered at establishments. Just like a Mai Tai can be altered, the Fogcutter was and is often "special receiped" as well. Lime or Lemon juice, (I've even tasted one with orange juice!), etc.

But I've long felt that it's the perfect "Tropical Drink" on a warm afternoon or evening because it's not overly syrupy, just the right mix of tart & sweet making it very refreshing. Mike Buhen tells me that the Fogcutter was the most popular drink at the Tiki Ti, until his Dad poured the wrong syrups and his customers found out that the "Ray's Mistake" tasted really good!

So I say give it a try, experiment on your own, you just might like it!

N

Why is it red?

K

On 2013-12-20 17:31, nomeus wrote:
Why is it red?

Judging by what I've read above, I'd say "Tiki Ti version," "inconsistency,' and "altered" to be the reasons.

N

maybe its my palate....just didnt taste good

[ Edited by: nomeus 2013-12-21 11:28 ]

Yes . . . why is it red?

it IS supposed to have orange juice. i think there are a bunch of threads out there already on the fogcutter topic.

but answering the question- i think it's a great drink, does favor lemon more than the oj obviously, so it is tart, just up the orgeat for your palate.

I agree, the 1st time I made the fog cutter I found the lemon juice way too overpowering! Lemon juice is a 'strong' ingredient in tiki drinks - it can ruin them. I usually reduce the lemon juice rather than increase the sweetener.

There are several fog cutters reciepes out there, after tweaking the lemon / orange, none of them have a 'wow' factor for me.

'My fog cutter' at home messes with the ratios: 2 parts orange juice, 1 lemon, 1 brandy, 1 gin, 1 white rum, 1/2 orgeat & an amaretto float.

Shake it in a big jam jar filled with ice, stick a straw in & serve it... I consider it to be a good drink to serve a guest who wants something long, fruity & refreshing rather than with depth.

If you want an orange & lemon drink with a bit of depth - the London Sour is a favourite of mine at the moment :)

Ps I have no idea why the pictured drink is red! Fog cutters are yellow / orange in my book. I'd have double checked with the bartender!

Maybe it contains blood orange juice? Maybe it's a Singapore Sling in disguise?

N

apparently i cant spell palate...and my apologies for starting new post on old drink

Maybe it contains blood?

AF

The red in the Tiki Ti version is the "Fog" as Mike calls it. But just like the Ray's Mistake, we're all left guessing what that ingredient is. Remember Ray Buhen was an original Don the Beachcomber bartender and therefore protective of what drove his business, his recipe's. Try the Tiki Ti's version next time you get to LA, it's most likely very close to, if not exactly, like the one Ray first poured over 50 years ago!

N

i looked for that version (tiki ti) but couldnt find it

Pages: 1 13 replies