Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine update - 12/20/13

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

Aloha everyone!

We wanted to give you an update on all the happenings behind the scenes at Tiki Magazine. First off, you're all probably wondering where's the new issue? We were hoping to have it out in December, and got about 80% there, before we were all waylaid by the holidays. The good news is you'll have a brand-new issue to help you unwind from the holiday season in January!

More updates coming soon!

[ Edited by: Tiki Magazine 2014-01-03 07:25 ]

Online subscriptions and renewals now available at our website! We've kept the rates the same and you can pay via Paypal:

http://www.tikimagazine.com/subcriptions.html

Also, if you're wondering where you are on your current subscription you can send us a message here or through our contact form and we'll let you know.

http://www.tikimagazine.com/contact-1.html

Hope your all enjoying the holidays!

Looking forward to the next issue!

RR

Aloha. What's the good word on the magazine? I'm looking forward to it. Wish you the best!

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the new issue and seeing what you guys are going to do with the magazine now.

Is the new issue coming out soon!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 21, 2014 12:14 PM

GROG has sent in the Bamboo Ben comic for the next issue. Here's a close-up of one of the panels as a preview :

8T

The usual riff-raff I see. What could they be up to next???

T

Just got my Tiki Magazine and more in the mail!
Great job on this one, lots of eye candy.
Very cool cover.

Job well done all.

I am waiting very patiently. Very, very patiently :sheckymug:
Soooo thirsty

[ Edited by: Kilaueakyd 2014-04-04 15:04 ]

T

My issue just arrived. For those Ohana who may have been concerned regarding the "& MORE" revised title need not worry. What I like is the new Tiki/Mid-Century Americana focus of the mag. Articles on Palisades Park and the Sip and Dip, were really nice. Looking forward to my upcoming visit to the Palm Springs Tonga Hut.

Got my issue in the mail yesterday. As Thor said, the addition of Vintage Roadside and opening the magazine up to articles on Mid Century Americana is (in my opinion) great. I really enjoyed the piece on Asian Modern by Naomi.

Wonderful job! Kudos to everyone involved in the new edition.

I hope to find mine in my mailbox tomorrow!!!!!!

Anybody know if they are going to sell them at Barnes and Noble again?

S

On 2014-04-06 23:42, creativenative wrote:
Anybody know if they are going to sell them at Barnes and Noble again?

For the time being you can only buy them at Tiki Ti or Tonga Hut or with a subscription.

So Barnes and Noble won't be selling them anytime soon.

I wish the magazine was at least sold at Wacko on Hollywood Bl like before! I don't like to subscribe because usually a mag gets mangled when delivered. Oh well, at least I can get it at Tonga hut. I would think Oceanic Arts would carry it like before as well.

S

This is the first issue since Amy has taken over TM.

If you realize that its a pretty big production to get the magazine out and then distributed you can assume that down the road more distribution points will become available--like Barnes and Nobles.

Until then just roll with it I guess?

JB

On 2014-04-07 12:59, Enchanted Tiki Guy wrote:
I would think Oceanic Arts would carry it like before as well.

They do.

Tonga Hut still had issues when I was there last week.

Got mine in the mail and enjoying it completely.

Hi guys!

It's wonderful to see you're enjoying the new issue. We're up to our eyeballs in our 2nd issue now and are working non-stop to get the next one in your mailbox.

Regarding locations such as Barnes & Noble, and other retail locations - our plan is to continue to mail directly to subscribers, have a few copies at the release parties, and hand-deliver a few copies to locations around Los Angeles such as Oceanic Arts, Tiki Ti, and the Tonga Hut. We hope to expand to more locations down the road, but at this time the costs of distribution don't pencil out. Again, this may change at some point, but for now the easiest way to get your copy is through a subscription.

Also, I don't get the chance to swing by here as often as I'd like but you're always welcome to email me with questions, feedback, ideas or anything else. You can reach me at jeff(at)tikimagazine.com

Cheers!

Jeff

Oh no! I'm scared my subscription ran out because I'm not seeing one in my mailbox. Is there a plan to set up auto-renewal or at least some kind of verification when renewal needs to occur? I sent my question about subscription to the contact us linked on the first page. I'll be heartbroken if I missed this issue as LA is kind of a long trip to make to buy one local. It'd be a fun one though.

M

On 2014-04-08 07:39, LoungeShark wrote:
Oh no! I'm scared my subscription ran out because I'm not seeing one in my mailbox. Is there a plan to set up auto-renewal or at least some kind of verification when renewal needs to occur? I sent my question about subscription to the contact us linked on the first page. I'll be heartbroken if I missed this issue as LA is kind of a long trip to make to buy one local. It'd be a fun one though.

Oceanic Arts ships everything they sell. Call them and see if they would mail you one.

T

"Oceanic Arts ships everything they sell. Call them and see if they would mail you one"

"Minimum order:
There is a $100.00 minimum for orders to be shipped.
Shipped orders under $100.00 require a $10.00 handling charge."

Per Oceanic Arts Catalog.
get some tapa that should put you over.

It is easy to let subscriptions lapse, but don't forget this one. Great magazine, always such good feature articles and fabulous pictures. GREAT JOB AMY!!!

Been talking with Jeff from TM and I believe he's got me all set up. I should have a copy real soon. Can't wait!

The new magazine was good.

I didn't mind the the Asian and Pacific Palisades pieces, interesting enough...

I did miss the Feature Carver and the Totally Tikified.... I always look forward to those and was bummed they weren't included.

Thanks for the feedback!

Working on a piece on a featured carver for the next issue as we speak.

On 2014-04-11 14:20, ErichTroudt wrote:
The new magazine was good.

I didn't mind the the Asian and Pacific Palisades pieces, interesting enough...

I did miss the Feature Carver and the Totally Tikified.... I always look forward to those and was bummed they weren't included.

Good job Amy. We loved the magazine and especially everything Eric October.
We look forward to going to Palm Springs to visit the new Tonga Hut.
We will be keeping our subscription going and going and going and never gone!

Wendy and Dan

P

Hi there!

I'm new here; my name is Pablo. : )

I love the new Tiki Magazine!

I was pleased to see the "& More" refers to Mid-Century modernism. As much as I loved the old Tiki Magazine, the hot-rod / Dream Wahine stuff really wasn't my favorite, and I love the new direction.

I went to the Tonga Hut party, and some kind person pointed me in the direction of BG Reynolds' syrups, and I was pleased to see the Blair Reynolds interview in there.

So -- veering off-topic -- I'm in process of putting together my first "tiki cocktail-making kit," although unfortunately, I don't drink alcohol.

So I've started with:

• Don's Mix
  • Passion Fruit
  • Ginger
  • Falerum Syrup
  • Fee Brother's Old Fashion Bitters
  • Coco Lopez
  • Coco Real (squeeze type to compare)

... a shaker, blender, and am excited to be on my way!

Finally my tiki mugs will have life.

LIFE, I say!

(But mainly the test will come when my gf and I test my mocktail skills in Palm Springs in May!)

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

[ Edited by: PabTiki 2014-05-10 08:25 ]

T

On 2014-05-01 17:38, PabTiki wrote:
Hi there!

Hi there yourself!

P

Nice to meet you Greg!

T

Likewise!

AT

If we start a new subscription will we receive the first Copy or the second?I have missed the first copy because my local magazine store does not have it any more.

I would also like to know the answer to this. :)

Hi AZ Tiki & Mockingbird - I just received the very last of the overruns from the printer and have been mailing Issue 1 out to everyone that subscribed after our last mailing from the printer.

I just took a quick look at the subscribers compared with the magazines I have, and as of right now there's literally about 10 copies of Issue 1 up for grabs. After that they are 100% sold out.

Our Issue 2 is mailing around the end of next week.
I don't get over here as often as I'd like, but if you have any other questions feel free to send an email to info(at)tikimagazine.com.

Thanks!

I am a subscriber and never got mine in the mail. Is there somewhere I can go to check status, etc?

Oops, just saw the link, thanks.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2014-05-06 18:22 ]

Just put in my sub today, so hopefully you will still have one of those 10. Thanks for the response. :)

On 2014-05-07 13:02, Mockingbird wrote:
Just put in my sub today, so hopefully you will still have one of those 10. Thanks for the response. :)

Mailed your copy of Issue 1 out today!

My subscription had expired unknown to me, but Jeff at Tiki Magazine took care of me by saving a #1 issue while I re-upped. So there are only a few more #1 issues left, subscribe NOW!

Thanks for the effort Tiki Magazine, checking mailbox daily.

I used to get these great mailers from Tiki Magazine alerting me to the end of my subscription. Would like to see that tradition continue.

DC

R

Wow, I guess things are hopping at Tiki Magazine. I emailed them and asked if I subscribed would my subscription start with the 1st issue under the new publisher and never received a reply. Good news for them as they must be so busy they don't have the time to reply, bad for me as it looks like I missed out.

Looks like the Tiki magazine business is booming.

Dustycajun - Glad we got you squared away and set up with a copy!

We are working on new versions of the postcards, and we've now got email addresses for almost everyone so can send updates via inboxes now.

Have a great weekend!

Jeff

On 2014-05-09 19:23, Roadtiki wrote:
Wow, I guess things are hopping at Tiki Magazine. I emailed them and asked if I subscribed would my subscription start with the 1st issue under the new publisher and never received a reply. Good news for them as they must be so busy they don't have the time to reply, bad for me as it looks like I missed out.

Looks like the Tiki magazine business is booming.

Roadtiki - I'm sorry I did not see an email from you. It's just me handling email, and I've worked to respond almost immediately to every one that comes in. Sometimes emails get waylaid and I apologize I missed yours. You're more than welcome to email me directly if you'd like. jeff(at)tikimagazine.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Magazine 2014-05-09 19:33 ]

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 9, 2014 8:05 PM

"I'm sorry I did not see an email from you. It's just me handling email, and I've worked to respond almost immediately to every one that comes in. Sometimes emails get waylaid and I apologize I missed yours. You're more than welcome to email me directly if you'd like."

I knew there was a reasonable explanation!

T

Roadtiki You joined TC in 2011 and that's your first post?
Welcome to TC Roadtiki!!

Hi All, glad you like the new magazine. Jeff and Tonga Tom are doing all the heavy lifting but I do get to talk creative with the team. We have added more Mid Century and some other Vintage amusement articles. This next edition will have a carver and we are still looking at Balance and content. Do tell us if you like a certain era or style.

Thanks again

The Tiki Magazine Team!

R

On 2014-05-09 20:09, tikiskip wrote:
Roadtiki You joined TC in 2011 and that's your first post?
Welcome to TC Roadtiki!!

Yup, I'm slow on the uptake. Actually I spend most of my time just reading the huge amount of posts. This time I actually needed something so I posted. Maybe I'll get lucky and snag one of those rare 1st issues.

Dave

On 2014-05-09 11:19, Tiki Magazine wrote:

On 2014-05-07 13:02, Mockingbird wrote:

Mailed your copy of Issue 1 out today!

Awesome! Thanks Tiki Magazine.

Pages: 1 2 61 replies