Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

RIP Edward Malcolm (Mick) Brownlee Tiki carver In 1950's Waikiki. Canlis, Tahitian Lanai, IMP

Pages: 1 7 replies

The master carver, Edward M. Brownlee passed November 24th. Here's a few snaps from around Tiki Central... Feel free to add when you come across them...

Responsible for the Matson Ticket office, Honolulu.

Canlis,

Naugatiki snapped this in the 90's

Tahitian Lanai Restaurant/Waikikian Hotel

International Market Place

Woodcarving at the Aku Aku, Las Vegas

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-12-21 14:04 ]

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-12-22 09:56 ]

M

Almost like he was waiting for you to get all your tours in before signing out. Too bad I couldn't make any of them, but you've kept his spirit alive.

On 2013-12-21 17:38, msteeln wrote:
Almost like he was waiting for you to get all your tours in before signing out. Too bad I couldn't make any of them, but you've kept his spirit alive.

mahalo. I'm surprised more people aren't reading this thread.

...what looks to be a different Edward Brownlee tiki at the Ala Moana Center that Sabu posted

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-12-30 14:41 ]

RIP.
Getting to see his work at IMP on your tour in August was amazing!

Rest in Peace. Thanks, Phil for introducing me to Mr. Brownlee's art. Truly a tiki pioneer. I think about all the times I've been to IMP and it wasn't until the last time that I actually realized all of the history and beauty it held. I guess we look at things with different eyes as we grow older. I try so hard to show my kids the beauty that exists around them but sometimes they just can't see it. I had lived in Hawaii in the 60's and 70's but never experienced the IMP in its heyday. I was never interested when I was a kid. Now it is gone forever and I will miss it very much. Although some folks think of it as a tourist trap (I did for decades), it has some significant historical value of what Hawaii was like in the middle of the last century. No, its not authentic but it is still a part of our past. Congratulations on your wedding, Phil. May you live long and prosper...

FM

Wow, that is some great stuff. There should be a thread here dedicated to these old school carvers and their works. And if there is, oops sorry.

One of the best.. RIP Edward Brownlee..
Mahalo's Phillip for sharing that..

Found this great article and pictures of Edward Malcombe Brownlee in the 1958 Holiday Edition of The Paradise of the Pacific Hawaii Magazine...

Pages: 1 7 replies