Pages: 1 34 replies

N

i googled dons spices #2 but came up short

dons spices #2
dons mix
dons spices #4
pom grenadine

and any others you may wish to add to the mix

Don's Mix = 2 parts white grapefruit juice and 1 part cinnamon syrup.

Don's Spices #2 = 1:1 vanilla syrup and pimento dram

Don's Spices #4 = cinnamon syrup

POM grenadine = cold process grenadine - 1 cup of POM pomegranate juice to 1 cup plus 1-2 ounces granulate white sugar.

N

so if i already have st. elizabeth allspice dram, im just adding vanilla to that? equal parts vanilla extract?

what about the cinnamon syrup?

R
Rawim posted on Mon, Dec 30, 2013 9:00 PM

Syrups. You need to make sugar based syrups. Or just buy everything. From BG Reynolds like I do. And let him do all the work.

N

ha thanks, i think its kinda obvious im asking for recipes on the syrups...but those that dont take sugar arent exactly a syrup

All the Mixes & syrups mentioned are sugar based.
don't use extracts unless you are adding them to a syrup recipe.

N

dons mix has unsweetened grapefruit and cinnamon...err syrup. noted.

The Bum's recommended starting point for cinnamon syrup is 3 crushed cinnamon sticks in a 1:1 simple syrup (1 cup of water and 1 cup of granulated sugar), bring to a boil and simmer a couple of minutes then remove from heat and steep at least 2 hours before straining and bottling. I use the cheap Badia canela cinnamon sticks and they are pretty short sticks so I use 5 of those in my syrup.

Jeff also recommends equal parts dram to vanilla syrup in the Spices #2, but the St. Elizabeth dram is has such a strong and concentrated flavor that I bring it way down — at 1:1 the allspice is overwhelming and at the recommended amounts in published recipes it overwhelms the drink in my opinion. To tell the truth, I don't keep Don's Spices #2 premixed on hand anymore. Instead when a recipe calls for it I sub straight vanilla syrup and then dash an appropriate amount of St. Elizabeth to give me what to my tastes is a balanced drink. Jeff's recommendation on a vanilla syrup is Fee Bros. but I usually just use the Da Vinci syrup you can find in the coffee aisle in the grocery store.

N

i have cinnamon sticks, demerara sugar, pom juice, white unsweetened grapefruit juice, pure vanilla extract and pure almond extract. will any of these work?

You're in business with the cinnamon, POM and grapefruit juice. I've done cinnamon syrup with white sugar and Demerara and they both turn out good so I think you're set there as well.

Like ATP said, flavor extracts are only going to work if you add them to simple syrup. I do use a bit of bitter almond extract along with fresh blanched almonds when I make orgeat, but I haven't ever tried to use vanilla extract to make a syrup. And as expensive as real vanilla extract is I think you're better off buying vanilla syrup.

I've always wanted to make scratch vanilla syrup until the cost of whole Tahitian vanilla bean pods gave me sticker shock.

N

then i guess i dont understand the vanilla syrup with st elizabeths...i have a bottle of simple syrup here somewhere

Vanilla extract is the super concentrated stuff you cook and bake with. Vanilla syrup is simple syrup flavored with vanilla.

N

so i just add some extract to the simple syrup?

im looking for the recipes, the step by steps. as i initially stated, i googled some of these and couldnt find anything. i found the falernum #9 but not the others.

Like I said, I buy commercial vanilla syrup like you'd flavor coffee with (Da Vinci, Torani, etc.), but give the extract plus simple a go and let us know how it works.

N

if anyone has the steps to make the syrups, id appreciate it!

S

On 2013-12-31 07:47, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
The Bum's recommended starting point for cinnamon syrup is 3 crushed cinnamon sticks in a 1:1 simple syrup (1 cup of water and 1 cup of granulated sugar), bring to a boil and simmer a couple of minutes then remove from heat and steep at least 2 hours before straining and bottling. I use the cheap Badia canela cinnamon sticks and they are pretty short sticks so I use 5 of those in my syrup.

I do not recall steeping 2 hours in the recipes, but re-reading, it is there. I need to do that. Mine is not as strong as BG's, but I think his is twice as strong as it should be. I have always simmered 15 minutes and strained.

I order my cinnamon sticks from Spice Barn and re-use them a good bit. I get the 10 inch ones. After a bit, they get retired when I make my next batch of cinnamon syrup and crush them up for it.

Now, what is the recipe for #7?

N

how many are there? 2,4......

On 2013-12-31 08:39, nomeus wrote:
if anyone has the steps to make the syrups, id appreciate it!

I use a couple of cups of water, add 2 sticks of Cylon cinnamon and 2 sticks of cassia cinnamon and low simmer for about 30 minutes. Then strain, measure and add equal amount of demarera sugar. Bring to a quick boil to dissolve the sugar. Cool and add a bit of 151 to help extend shelf life. Refrigerate

In my experience, if you add the sugar first, it's easiser to burn it. Plus some of the water evaporates but the sugar doesn't so you can end up too sweet. White sugar works fine but I like the color and flavor that demarera adds

N

2 cups water, 2 cups sugar?

Yes that's a basic "Simple syrup" and a base for the other type of syrups
I do like the store bought "Monin" syrups for your basic Vanilla, Cinnamon type syrups.

N

i just made my first one, probably a fail.

1 cup of pom/blueberry juice (85% pom, 15% blueberry)

1 cup demerara sugar

i couldnt get it to mix cold so i added enough heat until it dissolved. added maybe 1oz of lemon hart for shits and giggles. bottled and in the fridge.

is the fact that i heated it going to ruin anything?

Unless you noticed pectin solids precipitating you provably didn't ruin anything. But if you are patient and shake the shit out of the mixture the sugar will dissolve. It may take a couple of days and extra shaking to get the last little bit into solution but it will dissolve.

15% blueberry juice may not throw the flavor off too much but I prefer to stick with the 100% pomagranate POM.

N

Yea I got the bberry pom mix just to try

N

pom grenadine done

cinnamon syrup done (let steep for 1.5hrs)

whats the process on this vanilla? should i make it or buy it?

Just buy it, because you need Vanilla Beans to make it
& enough good beans to make a batch could add up to $20 or $30 US
a bottle of Monin Vanilla syrup is around $8 and is all natural ingredients.

N

thanks! idk if reynolds makes it but if they do, maybe ill get that. i have their passion mix which is quite tasty.

N

[ Edited by: nomeus 2013-12-31 20:23 ]

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but here's is how I make my syrups;

I add a load of water in a pot and add a load of whatever flavors I want and simmer it for some time and after that I add the sugar. So let's say, for example, cinnamon.

A lot of water, a load of crushed cinnamon-sticks. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer till about half of the liquid has evaporated. An ideal time would be about 30-60 minutes. After that, strain it, measure it, and add an equal amount of sugar. Stir until dissolved.

If you're using fresh fruits like passionfruit; simmer the water with passionfruit as noted above. Add more fresh passion fruit after dissolving the sugar and let it cool with it for about two hours. Strain again and bottle. I've found that this technique results a really intense syrup.

N
nomeus posted on Fri, Jan 3, 2014 5:44 PM

i like your approach...just get a bunch of stuff cooking and boil it down...

On 2013-12-31 16:07, nomeus wrote:
is the fact that i heated it going to ruin anything?

I get around issues with sugar related to heating/boiling by using my blender. The blender is a good way to make cold-process syrups where sugars are fully dissolved. Blend the hell out of your mixture until tiny air bubbles make it milky white. Then let it sit and the air bubbles float to the top and gradually disappear. You're left with a nice clear cold-process syrup.

I have no experience (yet) making syrups which contain fruit puree. However I always think of how much the flavor of carrots change when you heat them and figure the same would be true for tropical fruits. So I think that heat can be your friend as much as it can be your enemy. You have to learn when to use it and when not to use it. Fortunately the blender offers a pretty good workaround for some, but not all, situations.

O
Otto posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2014 4:33 PM

On 2013-12-31 11:24, nomeus wrote:
2 cups water, 2 cups sugar?

The Grog Log recipe is two POUNDS of sugar to two cups water!?!

On 2013-12-31 09:00, Swanky wrote:

Now, what is the recipe for #7?

#7 = grapefruit + #4 (cinnamon syrup), correct?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22455&forum=10&vpost=544344

N

this thread lives!

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jan 8, 2019 12:48 AM

Bump.

There's a recipe for vanilla syrup on page 326 of the Smuggler's Cove book, which is a rich syrup with vanilla beans. When I made my first batch, I made it a regular simple. It was good, but it went bad before I could use most of it.

Last week, I bought a 375 ml bottle of Torani vanilla syrup, and I must say, not only was it cheaper than homemade, but it also tastes about the same, so from now on, that's one syrup I'm definitely going to purchase over making.

N
nomeus posted on Tue, Jan 8, 2019 6:08 AM

Wtf...

I had no idea all these replies were here after almost 6 years. I just got a notification. That's crazy

Pages: 1 34 replies