Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Wall help

Pages: 1 6 replies

TT

So I'm setting up my first real home tiki lounge in a second living room (12'x16'). I could use some tips on what to do with my walls on a budget. I tried to paint a faux grasscloth, but it doesn't show up. I have tapa cloth for the ceiling, so not sure I want it on the walls too. Not sure I want to do bamboo fencing or matting either. Hmm.. just not sure. Any advice or tips? I searched the internet and it looks like bamboo, Lauhala, and tapa cloth are the most common. What other options are there?

I'd start by looking at all 10 pages here
Have fun
:)

Agree...there are so many different styles posted here. Take your time and sketch out what you want and where. If there are any home bars in your area, link up with those folks so you can see some live. Sometimes it is good to collect your swag now and then it will give you time to review the pictures in this forum. Best of luck to you...post a picture of your space so people can give you suggestions.

I used straw beach mats for the ceiling. Got them for $2 a piece. It actually came out pretty cool. Then I scored a huge roll of tapa that I used for the walls. Very inexpensive.

I would look at the different Trader Vic's interiors,

They use a lot of wallpaper that looks like tapa cloth:

Here is one that they use ceramic tiles:

You might even try something with cork floats:

Here's an interesting idea from a vintage TV that was once owned by Merv Griffin:

TT

Thanks for the tips. Apologies if this was a redundant topic. I know that bugs some people who use forums. I just haven't fond a lot of useful information yet and I live in a very un-tiki part of the mid-west. Not a lot of inspiration around here. :(

Pages: 1 6 replies