Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki newbie introduction

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi all. Just joined the community and wanted to introduce myself. Hubby and I recently purchased a 1960 home in Florida and are in the process of converting the porch/utility room into a tiki area and bar. Actually, more of a combo tiki-"aviation" bar, as hubby is a retired navy fighter pilot and I NEED someplace to stash all of his "I love me" stuff! :wink: ) This project will be a slow work in progress. We found some vintage tiki bamboo/rattan furniture at an estate sale a few months ago, which will be recovered this spring some kind of a fun, tiki style print. We're trying to do this on a pretty limited budget, so are going slowly and taking our time with it, searching thrift stores and consignment shops for the right accessories, and also repurposing things we already have. I have also begun collecting vintage exotica LPs when I find them at thrift stores, etc. Having a great time with it all and are looking forward to learning from the "experts" here!

[ Edited by: Geronitiki 2014-01-09 18:23 ]

D
dtel posted on Thu, Jan 9, 2014 4:29 PM

Welcome, cool looking home and I think you had the perfect idea especially looking at the rest of the house it should fit in perfectly.

Great start, it's slow around here sometimes but tons of great ideas to be borrowed.

Aloha!

Welcome to TC...head on over to the Home Bar forum and post before, during and after pics of your project. Lot's of good ideas in there too...and especially for budget minded folks.
CHEERS :drink:

TM

aloha!

Aloha! It's Outrigger Island here and I am more than an individual on the path to tiki heaven. I am also chief of THE Outrigger Island in Australia's new chapter of Blazing Swan. What's Blazing Swan..? It's Western Australia's adoption of the Burning Man theory and festival. We just had our first year and it was amazing! Can't wait for round two. I've always been a fan of Polynesian culture and while we don't have much of it here, except for Hula Bula and another new bar opening soon, we are slowly getting there. I'm also sketching out plans for an outside bar at my house as well. Looking forward to meeting and chatting to all you cool cats and kittens.

Brett

H

Copied Outrigger Island's intro to the Official Introductions thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6&forum=1&start=3885&3887

Pages: 1 6 replies