Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Question for the rum experts - Puerto Rican Light Rum

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hey Folks,

I recently began using the El Dorado 3-Year Light Rum - as my light Puerto Rican light rum. I know it's not Puerto Rican, but I had just finished my Flor De Cana (I also realize it is Nicaraguan - but it has served as a great sub for Puerto Rican Light). Anyone think the flavor profile is so different that I should switch back to Flor de Cana? Is there a different, more authentic "Puerto Rican Light" rum I should pick up?

I am working my way through Beachbum's Remixed (you can easily find my other thread on the journey) and had been using the Flor De Cana light - for all the Cuban and Puerto Rican light rum recipes. Any objections or suggestions?

Thanks

On 2014-01-10 07:39, Destro100 wrote:
Any objections or suggestions?

Yes - I object that we can't all be there with you while you're mixing these drinks. Heh...

Great work, by the way. There should be a Nobel prize or something for your service to humanity.

On 2014-01-10 07:39, Destro100 wrote:
Hey Folks,

I recently began using the El Dorado 3-Year Light Rum - as my light Puerto Rican light rum. I know it's not Puerto Rican, but I had just finished my Flor De Cana (I also realize it is Nicaraguan - but it has served as a great sub for Puerto Rican Light). Anyone think the flavor profile is so different that I should switch back to Flor de Cana? Is there a different, more authentic "Puerto Rican Light" rum I should pick up?

I am working my way through Beachbum's Remixed (you can easily find my other thread on the journey) and had been using the Flor De Cana light - for all the Cuban and Puerto Rican light rum recipes. Any objections or suggestions?

Thanks

The flavor profile isn't so different in the white rums generally. The PR stuff is different, but in my opinion not so much so that you are risking the integrity of the drink.

As to a more 'authentic' rum? I really like Ron Barrilito.

http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=26

And here, scroll down a bit

http://www.robsrum.com/Rums.html

It is a blend of 3 to 6 year rums and spends time in sherry barrels. Very yummy!

S

It depends on your own palette. I don't look beyond the words "white" or "light" and grab my stock white rum for the drink. But I am more of a pragmatic mixer. I get a good white and use it for everything, same as gold and dark. Demerara is it's own flavor.

If I am making something that really is just a white rum statement like a daiquiri, I'll use my supply of Ron Cubano 3YR.

I think historically, that rum was likely Bacardi when Bacardi was the standard for smooth nice white rum.

for white rums, Plantation 3 star is a nice and somewhat cheap for the quality.

...but if you can get it, I think Cana Brava is just f'ing outstanding for any cocktail calling for a white rum. These guys somehow roped one of the old Cuban distillers who lives in Panama into helping them make this unbelievable white rum.

when I tried it next to Havana Club white, I found them to be indistinguishable.

ED3 is distinctive and tastes quite different from spanish white rums. (whereas, the plain ED white isnt very distinguishable from a spanish style white).

If you're mixing through the recipes from BBR, Flor de Cana's light rum is a good choice for "White/Light Puerto Rican rum". I typically use Cruzan white or Don Q Cristal for those recipes. They meet the profile and aren't that expensive. Usually in that type of recipe you're layering rums and the white rum is really there as a boost, not to add a lot of flavor on it's own.

Save the more specialized white rums (Montanya Platino, Banks, Koloa White, etc.) for a daiquiri when you'll be featuring the rum itself and notice its more subtle characteristics. That being said I don't always take my own advice and I will mix with these types of rums, but in my own recipes.

kevin

For white rum I prefer to use Cruzan (Virgin Islands) and I use their Aged Dark as my "generic" dark rum, with both Cruzan rums being very 'cost-effective. For Jamaican dark I use either Kohala Bay, Smith & Cross or Myer's, depending on the drink. For a gold, I use Don Q or Appleton Special with both of those being very cost-effective as well. For Demerara, it's El Dorado 12 (Can't get anything younger around here) or 15. Of course for the certain drinks: Lemon Hart 151.
As I've aged, I've become less of a "Rum Snob" and scaled back the variety of rums I now hold in inventory; mostly because my guests can't tell the difference anyway. I still keep a few "Special" brands that I hide from sight and use to treat myself privately every once in a while.

Cruzan 'aged' is also my go-to PR gold rum. I'd love to try Ron Barrelito but it's pricey. While we're on the subject, does anyone like Don Q? I've avoided it since its usually shelved with Bacardi and Ron Rico, but I've read a few positive reviews lately

On 2014-01-13 07:11, Kill Devil wrote:
Cruzan 'aged' is also my go-to PR gold rum. I'd love to try Ron Barrelito but it's pricey. While we're on the subject, does anyone like Don Q? I've avoided it since its usually shelved with Bacardi and Ron Rico, but I've read a few positive reviews lately

The basic Don Q white is OK. Excellent for the price point, but overall nothing special. Same with their basic gold... excellent rum for the price point but overall nothing special.

The Don Q Gran Anejo is, however, something tasty that you should look into adding to your bar. Not so expensive that you avoid mixing with it, good enough on its own to share a glass with nothing more than ice.

D

Flor de Cana is a good white for mixing, and I also use Cruzan

I recently bought a few bottles of Banks, which is pretty amazing, if cost is no object I would go with banks - when fresh white grapefruit are in season and switching the white rum in a Navy Grog from Cruzan / Flor de Cana to Banks, I can tell a remarkable difference

When you can get the 1.75L jugs of Flor de Cana for under 20 it is hard to say no

My general rule is that if the drink will show off the rum, then use banks (navy grog, mojito - Barbancourt 8 year is what I prefer)

if it will hide the rum (pina colada) use the cheaper rum

My choice for a fine Puerto Rican silver rum, Bacardi 1909 Ron Superior:

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=33594

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Bacardi+1909&qpvt=Bacardi+1909&FORM=IGRE

It makes a great Daiquiri or Bacardi Cocktail. My guess is that it tastes similar to the original Bacardi silver that brought them fame.

A

I think you can use any Spanish style rum & pick what you prefer.

I brought several bottles on the way back from Mexico last year & compared them - 1st equals were Brugal Blanco & Havana Club Blanco. Flor De Cana 4 came in 3rd. Don Q was too light, Cruzan White or Bacardi Superior both had that 'this is alcohol' taste.

I still have 2 half bottles from that tasting! When I run out ill grab any of those top 3 - they are a bit fruitier.

Havana club 3 is my preferred white rum in mojitos & hemmingway diaquiris as it has a drier edge. I haven't brought any El Dorado 3 or Plantation 3 Star yet but would like to, I think they would also have a slight edge.

By the by Appleton White works well in Missionarys Downfalls & Sumutra Kulas (or normal white rum with a splash or Wray & Nephews)... I have a 'gotta try them all' attitude!

Having said that I've not really explored gold Spanish rums - IMO they are a bit one note & a good white seemed more worthy of finding to make excellent mojitos. I stick with Bacardi 8 or a Havana Club as my gold - it's good stuff.

Any suggestions for a good gold?

I think I've settled on returning to Flor De Cana 4 year Light Rum. It's a great value and has always served me well in my drinks. I might pick up another bottle of Cruzan white for select drinks calling specifically for light Virgin Islands rum. I think I'll save the El Dorado 3 white rum for the more latin-based cocktails - daiquiris, mojitos, or other experiments.

I finally located the ED 3 on the east coast of Florida and popped for a bottle several months ago (now long gone). It was very good, not quite on par with Banks 5 Island, but was a great premium white mixing rum. I didn't find it to really have the textbook dry Spanish white rum character but it made really good Daiquiri style cocktails so I think it's a fine choice.

Pages: 1 14 replies