Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Bahooka Restaurant items for sale

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

FM

Hi everybody! I'm finally getting around to posting this here on Marketplace. I have a full-time job and get to this stuff when I can, so thanks to those who have been waiting for me.

So, I was able to buy up the remaining items that were in the Bahooka Restaurant in Rosemead, CA. The restaurant closed down in March of 2013. Youtube Bahooka videos and you'll see that this place was truly a paradise. These items will be great for your home tiki bar, or for your actual tiki bar/restaurant. Everything is over 45 years old, so you must expect some sort of rust, dust, dings, and cracks. These items are in very limited supply, so I must go with a first-come first-served type of response. I can ship most of these items, preferably in the continental US.

These Abalone Shells decorated the bar area. They are over 45 years old and have a small hole drilled in the center for the screw used to secure them to the beams. I cleaned a few up and they are beautiful and shiny! $35 ea.

These are Naval Lanterns that also hung about the bar area. The Bahooka had a lot of nautical and military items, like the anti-aircraft gun out front. These lamps were rigged up with a wire and bulb to light up whereas they originally used dry cells to power them. I have a 70 year-old coworker that remembered these from when he was in the Navy in the early 60's. $65 each. I have about six of these available.

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-12 21:06 ]

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-12 21:08 ]

FM

Aaannndd... The Bahooka Parrot! I have about five left. Various states of being. Some may have a missing eye due to the glue being 45 plus years old. Will include a 5 watt light with them so that they may glow again!

FM

These are the medium sized barrel lights that hung all over the restaurant. These were custom made for the Bahooka in the 60's and each one has a unique rope design underneath or cut-out for the light. These are VERY sturdy and include the chains needed to hang them. I also have a larger size. $125 each. I'll give a quantity discount on these and can deliver to most in SoCal.

What's the price on the parrots? Thanks

FM

Oops, I thought I put the price on. They' re $50. I'm dropping the abalone shells to $30.

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-14 13:40 ]

FM

I also have the fiberglass float lights from the Bahooka. I have three sizes:
The small ones are about 29 1/2 inches in circumference.

The medium ones are about 41 inches in circumference.

The large ones are about 52-53 inches in circumference. Yeah, they're big.

Remember that these hung in the restaurant for over 45 years and are original. Thus they may be dirty, scratched, written on or may have a small crack. But, you are getting the real deal and not something that was made in China last month. Most have nets, some have the original lights, and they are all pretty unique. Some are chunk-style, some are colored, and some are just good ol' regular textured fiberglass. I'm asking $125 for the small, $175 for the medium, and $250 for the large. These prices are subject to change if I decide to throw them onto Ebay. I still have friends and family looking over these, which is why I've been waiting to put these up. Send me a message and we'll see what I can do.

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-17 00:03 ]

FM

These are the Drambuie crate lights. Old crates of Drambuie from the 60's were custom made into lights for the Bahooka and look pretty darn cool. They each have a unique rope design or wood cutout on the bottom. These are $150 each.

FM

This is the small barrel light. It's smaller and lighter than the other two and are the most popular ones because they're easier to hang and are more portable. They all have different markings on them and were custom made for the Bahooka 45 plus years ago. These are $175.

FM

These I'll be saving for myself when I open up Trader Steve's : ). The Bahooka restroom signs.

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-17 00:07 ]

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-17 00:08 ]

You're asking especially high prices for old damaged globe lights, many that don't work
and lack netting ( Didn't you mention you got these for free?)

Now if you fixed them up with working lights,netting etc. I wouldn't be so critical
but if your really going to ask $125 for the small dirty, possibly cracked, none working plastic globe light
without netting, I would say anyone who bought these would be a real sucker.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-01-17 04:40 ]

Pm sent

FM

I never mentioned that I got these for free, I paid for all of these items. As far as condition, I'm pretty clear about that.

I don't think it's polite to call someone a sucker; it smacks a bit of jealousy. Something is always worth what someone else is willing to pay. If these items are truly overpriced, they won't sell, and then the price will likely come down. If they do sell, then it means that the price is apparently fair to someone.

These items aren't worth that to me, but I never went to the Bahooka. :wink:

FM

Thanks TikiTacky, I didn't read the full post from ATP, only the first couple of sentences before I responded. Humor me if you all will, but I will explain everything, although I really shouldn't have to.
I'm a huge fan of the Bahooka. I grew up about 12 miles east of it and became a pretty regular guy after I moved back down from Berkeley in 2002. I was heartbroken when it closed and I was there several times during its last week. I went back at least twice a month afterwards to see what was going on with the place. I would pick up In N Out and eat in the parking lot. I would wish that I was a millionaire so that I can re-open the place and then go home. Fast forward a few months and I was lucky enough to meet the new owner during one of my visits. I befriended him and asked him to let me in to check out the place. When I saw all of the stuff hanging and piled away, I made him a cash offer for everything. A nice cash offer, paid in full, upfront. This guy didn't know a tiki from a teepee, but he is a businessman and knew it was worth something. He's a lot savvier now about the whole thing. Anyway, he's been kind enough to let me come back on most Sundays to take stuff down and to take them home in my truck, Yota. It's been great because I would still take a lunch to eat there. I would say that I pretty much cleaned the place out and I still leave wishing that I was a millionaire so that I can re-open the place.
I have sold several items, all below the prices I have above. What would be the worst thing to happen to me if I didn't sell a single thing again? I would have one of the coolest tiki hangouts ever. As a tiki and Bahooka fan, there is no downside for me. I love looking at this stuff, LOVE it. I post this here so that Tiki Central folks have first crack. Then comes Craigslist, Ebay, Etsy, and everything else. I'm reasonable and flexible, but these are quality vintage items. The barrel lights? Find me something comparable. The closest thing I've seen on Ebay goes for $375. And that's for something that was just made. My brother is itching to take these to the wineries to sell. The issue of cleaning or restoring these items was covered in my Tiki Home Bars thread. It was pretty unanimous that they should be left alone. These items absorbed the atmosphere of the Bahooka, especially the barrel lights which still smell like the Bahooka. If anyone is still interested, reply here, send me smoke signals or a PM. Much love to you all!

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-17 17:04 ]

On 2014-01-17 09:55, TikiTacky wrote:
I don't think it's polite to call someone a sucker; it smacks a bit of jealousy. Something is always worth what someone else is willing to pay. If these items are truly overpriced, they won't sell, and then the price will likely come down. If they do sell, then it means that the price is apparently fair to someone.

Jealousy? there is no correlation, I can say without a doubt that I am not jealous of someone I consider
to be lacking in common sense & deserving of the moniker "sucker"
And yes one is born every minute, also everyone has a right to be a sucker if they choose.

As for assigning value to Fez Moai's items for sale, if he had Tikis, mugs & items of that sort, yes they would have value to collectors
but everything that is for sale only has "Sentimental Value" so if you need a piece of the Bahooka to remember it by
and are willing to pay the asking price, go to town, but don't kid yourself, the item has no real intrinsic value
something I believe Fez Moai is hoping to capitalize on, not that he doesn't have the right to do so
but I will be the one pointing at whom ever buys it & exclaiming "sucker"

FM

On 2014-01-17 21:08, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2014-01-17 09:55, TikiTacky wrote:

Jealousy? there is no correlation, I can say without a doubt that I am not jealous of someone I consider
to be lacking in common sense & deserving of the moniker "sucker"
And yes one is born every minute, also everyone has a right to be a sucker if they choose.

As for assigning value to Fez Moai's items for sale, if he had Tikis, mugs & items of that sort, yes they would have value to collectors
but everything that is for sale only has "Sentimental Value" so if you need a piece of the Bahooka to remember it by
and are willing to pay the asking price, go to town, but don't kid yourself, the item has no real intrinsic value
something I believe Fez Moai is hoping to capitalize on, not that he doesn't have the right to do so
but I will be the one pointing at whom ever buys it & exclaiming "sucker"

I got the feeling you didn't like me when I joined up here. It's funny in a sad, nothing-better-to-do kind of way. Only "Sentimental Value"? These aren't physical items? I have nothing but good, positive responses from folks here. How is it possible to have someone Troll me like this? Have a Mai Tai and a Xanax dude. A big part of all this culture is "sentimental". You are collecting for the monetary value or the sentimental value? What "intrinsic value" does a 60 year-old empty matchbook from a defunct tiki establishment have? Or a picture of Donn Beach with beautiful babes? "Tikis, mugs, or items of the sort". Please elaborate what items of the sort you mean? Only drinkware from these places are worth collecting? You wrote that if I fixed up these items you wouldn't be so "critical", but apparently that's not the case. The items and myself are an issue with you, and that's too bad. Insulting people here by calling them a "sucker" smacks of conceit. Are you feeling Tiki-er than thou? Is that it? You don't know me or how long I've been involved in this. Please, stop embarrassing yourself.

S

Well put Fez Moai. You'll have to excuse ATP. He is the tiki police around here. Someone who loathes Facebook and all who use it and yet he treats this forum exactly like that and as his own personal blog where he bombards us with his 'witty' comments and insults those whose opinions he disagrees with, because he knows better than everyone else. And don't try to defend yourself and give it back to him, because he can dish it out but he can't take it.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2014-01-18 04:56 ]

FM

Lol, thanks Swizzle. PM me your address and I'll send you a "mystery" item from the Bahooka. On me.

FM

Items shipped today to those who've responded. Thanks! Here's a couple of items with plenty of sentimental value for me. Not for sale, but mainly for those who wonder "whatever happened to....?".

Urban Archaeology.

Rufus is still doing fine, but may be looking for a new home soon.

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-18 12:19 ]

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-18 16:49 ]

Now Fez Moai I don't know you & I don't dislike you
I am a blunt fellow & just questioned your very high prices
on items I don't think are worth it & I haven't called anyone a sucker....yet.

But to put things in perspective, You show up here on TC and the first thing you post
is "Bahooka" items for sale, yet none of the Bahooka regulars know who you are?

We don't know you from any Tiki events held there or anywhere else
and you did a very uncool thing a few weeks ago by showing up at Don the Beachcomber
and selling your items covertly out of the parking lot, during the Tiki Marketplace!

So I am questioning your motives here & your sincerity, maybe I am wrong?
but I will reserve that opinion until I see proof of it, but so far I have only seen
someone trying to make a buck off the Tiki community at which point you had nothing to do with
outside of selling your goods (which you have every right to do, but that doesn't make it cool).

As for Swizzle's comments, well they are rather contradictory as he likes to insult me frequently
which I rarely rebute, but in this case he is lacking all the facts.

FM

Correction, I was at Don the Beachcomber to GIVE away a few items and to deliver a couple that were already paid for. I won't mention who I gave stuff to, but it will probably cause you to stick a pu-pu platter in your tiki-hole and leave me alone. And I was there as a buyer, I bought the Deadhead Rum box and other items. BIG difference dude, read the post on Tiki Events where I wrote about this a month ago. I tried to get in as a vendor and I've been trying to get into the next one also, with no luck. So there goes that bogus argument. So I guess we established that it is a personal thing. Who the heck are you to establish criteria for a tiki fan? Being a bit clique-esh, eh? Yeah, we've never met, thank God. I run in many different circles and tiki is just one slice of the pie. I have a crazy, full, beautiful life -didn't you read my short bio? I know you have. Do you know what matters now? Take a long look at the pics and remind yourself that I'M the one with all of this stuff. That going forward, when people talk about the Bahooka and what happened afterward, I'm going to be one of the go-to guys. Digest it, bro. Man, why are you trolling me? Aren't there rules in the forum against that? You're not my type, sorry. Are you on the Tiki Introduction thread frisking everybody and asking for a resume? Are you a cyber-bully? LOL, I'm the guy bullies learn to stay away from when they find their own head stuck in the toilet.

That's a bunch of BS.....dude

yes I know who you "sold" (i.e. took money for goods) stuff too
no matter how you color it, it is not cool
and I am getting the impression that's all you're about.

But I am not telling you that you can't sell whatever crap you want to, so don't try to
use that as an excuse, but when & if you do sell all your goods
I wonder if you will be posting on here anymore?

I made my point & will leave you to do what ever you are doing.
but know this, TC does have rules against threating people "find their own head stuck in the toilet"
so cut that crap right now!

FM

LOL!!! Yeah, I'm going to find you and stick your head in a toilet. Get real. Poor toilet. And tiki really is a slice of pie that I eat. Maybe I just watched too many After School Specials during the 80's where bullies did that, but you have no clue anyway so quit making something up. You got caught with your hand in the cookie jar with questionable posts and I called you on it. I see you didn't answer any of my questions, so Swizzle was definitely right. I'm glad you're done, don't be a stalker! You'll probably see me at the next ITMP at Don's, so put out an APB now Sheriff. I should probably change my name now to Tiki Bandito and you can follow me around. Creepy.

Well since you're the "guy with all the stuff" I guess you win :lol:

(Beat you to it Grog! :) )

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-01-18 18:10 ]

FM

Win? I didn't know there was a competition going on. I'm just trying to keep myself from being slandered.

EJ

I'm gonna pull a Grog. It's you're not your.

Please stop ATP. I know you won't think so but YOU'RE embarASSing yourself. I just don't get why you feel compelled to speak for so many other people when they did not ask you. I know the whole "I'm a blunt guy and can post or say whatever I want" is the schtick you hide behind but it's just tired. If you don't like the prices don't buy and move along. Obviously others have no problems with the prices. To just create your own revisionist history of how Fez obtained the items and then presented them here is the real BS.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:41 ]

EJ

On 2014-01-18 18:51, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2014-01-18 18:36, El Jefe wrote:

I just don't get why you feel compelled to speak for so many other people when they did not ask you.

You mean like you are doing, right now?

You are not the "jefe" of me, or anyone else. ATP is entitled to his opinion like anyone. I actually think he is on to something with this whole thing. Guy just shows up a month ago on this forum, buys a bunch of stuff from a now defunct restaurant as is selling these pieces for some pretty ridiculous prices...yeah, it's a free country...but I also feel there is something immoral about it. I don't know the whole situation, and won't pretend to...but on the face of it, doesn't smell right. ATP (Like anyone else) should be allowed to question the whole thing, same way this Fez Moai person is allowed to buy up stuff with little intent for personal use, and open a store here, or in the Don's parking lot. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

Here we go......the other dance partner has arrived.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:40 ]

FM

I just don't get why you feel compelled to speak for so many other people when they did not ask you.

You are not the "jefe" of me, or anyone else. ATP is entitled to his opinion like anyone. I actually think he is on to something with this whole thing. Guy just shows up a month ago on this forum, buys a bunch of stuff from a now defunct restaurant as is selling these pieces for some pretty ridiculous prices...yeah, it's a free country...but I also feel there is something immoral about it. I don't know the whole situation, and won't pretend to...but on the face of it, doesn't smell right. ATP (Like anyone else) should be allowed to question the whole thing, same way this Fez Moai person is allowed to buy up stuff with little intent for personal use, and open a store here, or in the Don's parking lot. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

"Groan", Another troll? READ what I wrote above about keeping stuff Lucas! Jeez! You and ATP must be bowling buddies or something. Another person high on opinions but low on facts. So you think I'm a profiteer, great, duly noted, now move along. God Bless America! Tell you what, If I do show up to the next ITMP at Don's, how about you and ATP buy me a drink and you'll see that I'm a pretty cool dude. I'll crack a few jokes, say some tiki things, and everything will be hunky dory!

FM

I'll bet you guys are the reason why I can't get a spot to the ITMP. Soccertiki? Woohoowahine? I can see it now, "waaah, don't let him in because he is out in the pouring rain selling stuff!" I explained my presence there and Sven Kirsten can back that up. Woah! REALLY?!

EJ

On 2014-01-18 19:00, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2014-01-18 18:54, El Jefe wrote:

Here we go......the other dance partner has arrived.

I don't have too much time to spend on you, seeing as how I have much better things to do....but I will leave you with this.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/youre_your.htm

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-01-18 19:05 ]

Glad to know that you don't have much time to spend on me. That must mean you're attending and supporting all the tiki events that you're are not booked at right?

TM

EJ

On 2014-01-18 19:17, lucas vigor wrote:
ooohh, that was a real zinger right there! Must say, you really got me with that one.

Wait.....I'm confused. I thought you didn't have time for me.

FM

Oh man, this is a hell of an entertaining thread, isn't it folks? Will your hero continue to be smeared by a couple of annoying villains? Stay tuned! Same tiki-time, same tiki-channel!

TM

TM

FM

Hey hey, this is about me, remember? The dastardly pirate with my own store in the parking lot, breaking all the rules and stealing the women with the highest disregard for your opinions.

TM

On 2014-01-18 19:39, Fez Moai wrote:
Hey hey, this is about me, remember? The dastardly pirate with my own store in the parking lot, breaking all the rules and stealing the women with the highest disregard for your opinions.

:)

EJ

On 2014-01-18 19:33, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2014-01-18 19:24, El Jefe wrote:

On 2014-01-18 19:17, lucas vigor wrote:
ooohh, that was a real zinger right there! Must say, you really got me with that one.

Wait.....I'm confused. I thought you didn't have time for me.

El jefe, no one ever needed a rolled up newspaper across the snout more then you.

Per ATP "TC does have rules against threating people
so cut that crap right now!"

Security!!!!! Security!!!!!

Please stop ATP. I know you won't think so but YOU'RE embarASSing yourself. I just don't get why you feel compelled to speak for so many other people when they did not ask you. I know the whole "I'm a blunt guy and can post or say whatever I want" is the schtick you hide behind but it's just tired. If you don't like the prices don't buy and move along. Obviously others have no problems with the prices. To just create your own revisionist history of how Fez obtained the items and then presented them here is the real BS.

Showing up a bit late to the party Jefe, just where in "H-E Double Hockey Sticks" otherwise known as your house
did you get the idea I was speaking for anyone else, but myself.

Also I have no idea how "Fez" obtained the items & think it rather suspect
as is his presumptuous & shameful conduct at Don's which is a fact & witnessed by many people attending.

Z

Wow. And I thought we were all grown up now.

FM

LOL! Jefe, just hope it's not the Sunday paper.

FM

On 2014-01-18 19:44, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Showing up a bit late to the party Jefe, just where in "H-E Double Hockey Sticks" otherwise known as your house
did you get the idea I was speaking for anyone else, but myself.

Also I have no idea how "Fez" obtained the items & think it rather suspect
as is his presumptuous & shameful conduct at Don's which is a fact & witnessed by many people attending.

Please call the witnesses to the stand. In my defense, I call on none other than Sven Kirsten himself. If you must know how I obtained said items, then please ignore all of the posts and pictures that I have already put up. This is apparently a game already. ATP, I am a part of a covert, CIA funded group that seeks to duplicate tiki items from closed restaurants and to sell them in order to fund our secret pineapple plantation. It is called STFUP, which stands for Stealing Things From U People. If you promise not to report me, I'll make you a junior officer and give you a neat-o badge to wear. Deal?

R

Well. huummm.. Just some real facts here..Unless your initials are A M then you don't own all the stuff from BAHOOKA..I see tons of the stuff someone bought
from there every day including at least 7-8 of the boats from there. As a matter of fact I park next to them..Just saying!!!!

FM

I agree ron, show me where I said I bought ALL of the items and not the REMAINING items from the Bahooka. A lot went to Clifton's, another tiki fellow here also picked stuff up and sells it at ITMP. I bought the REMAINING items left. Thank you.

TM

The last information i remember was that there was supposed to be a yard sale where everyone and anyone who showed up back in March could purchase items...but that it was cancelled and that Clifton's had purchased everything...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45056&forum=1&hilite=bahooka%20is%20closing

Pages: 1 2 94 replies