Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How many current Tiki Bars are there in California?

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

Turq's is definitely not a Tiki bar anymore.

And, the Tiki's are gone in front of the old Royal Hawaiian now.

Maybe make another list of Lost Tiki Bars in California?

On 2014-01-23 09:16, RevBambooBen wrote:
And, the Tiki's are gone in front of the old Royal Hawaiian now.

When did that happen? I drove past the Royal Hawaiian 2 weeks ago and they were still there.

Yeah, I see ATP's point that it kinda isn't a tiki bar anymore... but I also agree with BigKahuna… The decor is worth at least seeing once. And the fact that it was constructed by OA, is worth something too… I guess I'm torn on it. I wouldn't REALLY call it a 'tiki bar'… But it kinda is… or was… I don't know.

Nope! It's not a Tiki bar, anymore, but it does have a place I Tiki history. We could label it a "Tiki Archeological Site".

On 2014-01-23 09:35, Big Kahuna wrote:
Nope! It's not a Tiki bar, anymore, but it does have a place I Tiki history. We could label it a "Tiki Archeological Site".

Would the Tiki Cocktail Lounge in Modesto be included as a "Tiki Archeological Site"?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6237&forum=2&hilite=tiki cocktail lounge

Yikes! I would have to say it is, Lori.

F

On 2014-01-21 17:32, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

On 2014-01-20 15:09, RevBambooBen wrote:
Billy's has a great Mai Tai and Le Roy tikis!

Billy’s has enough tiki and good drinks to keep me an CeCe coming back.
I’d add Hapa J’s too!
Cheers

nui 'umi 'umi, I love me some Hapa J's (drooling just thinking about their kahlua pork nachos...), but it's really SoCal/Hawaiian fusion.

F

I have not been to Turk's (Turq's?) - yet!- but it sounds like it would go into the "Tiki that Once Was" category. Not unlike Trad'r Sam's in SF. Sounds like something enthusiasts should at least stop in to see while the OA remnants still exist.

F

There's a difference between "tiki" and "tropical" theme, and I feel like sometimes people don't realize they have a hard time distinguishing from one another. Not everything that asserts tropical decor or serves tropical drinks is "tiki". There's a baseline, but that alone is not it.

Alright, off my soapbox and back to work! :wink:

J

I won't disagree with that. For example Trad'r Sam's might not make the cut if it was Revival, but it merits inclusion for its Pre-Tiki longevity.

Also double standards apply if Tikiphiles REALLY like a place and want it to be "Tiki". For example the Bahooka (RIP) was never technically a Tiki bar nor is Smuggler's Cove. If you removed the Tikis from those places, I doubt that anyone would notice, so pervasive, overwhelming, and defining is their nautical/beachcomber/smuggler/fish tank splendor.

I think at this point however we can safely say that the Golden State has at least 30 Tiki bars. Maybe not all good Tiki, but Tiki with Tiki intentions nevertheless.

If you haven't been into Billy's lately, they have really turned up the 'tiki' decor. I stand by that place being a tiki bar. They are now selling their trademark maitai glasses too.
Agree with you about Trad'r Sams and Turq's.

Hawaiian Room, Bellflower/Downey

On 2014-01-20 10:26, Bora Boris wrote:
Ooops! Forgot Minnie's what else did I forget?

Tiki Cocktail Lounge, Modesto, California. Not far from Minnie’s. Nice decor,light on tiki.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-01-25 22:14 ]

I would throw in Tony's on the Pier in Redondo Beach!

On 2014-01-22 14:29, Bora Boris wrote:
So would I if it had a Tiki in it[...]

Great, then it's in!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies