Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Pahoehoe Hut - Long Beach, CA

Pages: 1 22 replies

C

After 18 years in our house in NE Long Beach, many of which featured my wife and I discussing what we were going to do about our patio and backyard areas, we decided to bring Bamboo Ben in to work his magic -- the result is "The Pahoehoe Hut."

First, here are some shots of the area before Ben started work in October 2013.

Our house was built in 1950. When we moved in in 1995, there were several original owners, all of whom had worked at nearby Douglas Aircraft (later McDonnell Douglas, now Boeing) for many decades. Several additions were made to the house circa 1957, including an enclosed patio where the original outside patio stood.

Here is the enclosed patio before transformation--the yellow is the stucco that was originally part of the outside of the house. The white is the open-beam wood ceiling added circa 1957. Louvered windows with a brick base (barely visible in this photo) filled in most of the area, except for two large picture windows on the side (behind camera). We replaced a sliding glass door with french doors several years ago.

Outside the enclosed patio is a lanai deck with wood frame and aluminum roof.

This shot looks from the backyard towards the lanai and enclosed patio.

The backyard is mostly concrete. We had planted plumeria and several hibiscus trees at left...we removed the hibiscus just before Ben began work. There was formerly a tall palm tree in the corner by the neighbor's garage, which we eventually had to remove. The dirt area in the back corner became a major part of Bamboo Ben's addition.

This shot looks across the backyard toward the neighbor's detached garage. In the foreground is a lime tree we planted in the last couple of years. In the background is a blood orange tree we planted a few years before that (along with a Tiki Farm Tangaroa Tiki Chiminea).

Here's the back of the yard after the hibiscus trees were removed:

Here's the planter area beside our garage, before Ben began work.

And another shot of the blood orange tree and other vegetation, before Ben's Lava Flow started!

So like the beginning of a James Michener novel, this is the part about the period when dinosaurs roamed the earth, before volcanic eruptions altered the landscape. Enter Bamboo Ben. My wife and I originally were mainly interested in having him work on the enclosed patio and lanai. However--having seen the great lava flow at The Breezeway, I mentioned to Ben that we might be interested in incorporating something along those lines. When he first saw our backyard, he said, "You have a lot of room here...", and his creativity took over. Up next, the build starts.

Caltiki Brent

http://www.facebook.com/dingdongdevils
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dingdongdevils

[ Edited by: congawa 2014-01-20 17:44 ]

This is going to be good.....

C

First, Bamboo Ben began the framework for the lava flow:

Then, with his son Jack assisting him, Ben made the lava begin to flow.

At first, Sophie wasn't sure what to make of the changes.

Meanwhile, the lanai posts got a transformation.

And the lanai ceiling began to take on the look of a rusted pier.

Then, the beginnings of the bamboo fence appeared, and the Tiki bar began to take shape.

Up next, we'll move in under the roof.

Caltiki Brent

C

After doing his burn work, Ben started installing the bamboo on the lanai ceiling.

And the wall matting installation began on the enclosed patio.

Then Bamboo Ben added the wood and bamboo trim to the walls and ceilings.

Then the inside open beam area got "distressed," and bamboo was added.

Here's the ceiling transition, looking from the lanai inside to the enclosed patio.

Then the finished bar was then brought inside, and shelving added.

We purchased three Tikis from Smokin' Tikis.

To which Ben added a special stain.

Next, it was time for a trip to Oceanic Arts for garnishes, lighting and some other accoutrements.

Caltiki Brent

PP

wow love your use of space and amount of it!!!! how did you do your lava flow??? did you use black paint in the cement? love you ideas!!!!!!!

C

Netting and plants were added to the lava flow area, along with the not yet stained Tikis.

Sophie was already getting accustomed to her new area.

Tiki after the staining.

A friend of mine had some large red lava rock in her backyard she wanted to get rid of, which worked perfectly into our plans (with bags of small red lava rock added to fill).

The volcano area before lava rock.

And after.

A third Tiki was installed behind the blood orange tree.

Then lava rock was added.

Float lights (and non-drilled floats) were hung in the lanai, and Christine and I added some plastic party lights to the mix.

The inside lighting included a 16" cobalt blue float light (in front of a couple of Bosko fish).

Also one of Bamboo Ben's outriggers, and a Nelson's Tiki Hut Chinese light (which some might have seen in our 2012 Ding Dong Devils Tiki Oasis Chinese film noir restaurant room party).

And of course there was room for the Bahooka parrot I bought on what turned out to be the 2nd to the last day of operation for the late, lamented Bahooka.

Since the patio doubles as our dog feeding area (we have three large dogs), and only very occasional crating area, we had Ben build a large table to hide the crates.

Behind the bar, we hung a Lake Tiki Kelbo's sign. Kelbo's has a special significance to my wife and I, because a special event there in December 1991, led to our first date.

Another Bosko piece on the wall leading to the living room, along with shelving for glasses, cocktail books and Tiki mugs.

I added a snake plant and white rock to a Switched on Audrey bullet planter replica, which eventually went inside. Bamboo Ben's rope additions to the lanai posts are also visible.

It didn't take the pups long to get used to their transformed back yard.

The only question left is how it will all look at night.

Caltiki Brent

On 2014-01-20 18:43, congawa wrote:

The only question left is how it will all look at night.

Caltiki Brent

Here are some night time pics I took during the christening party. Looks great at night!

C

Thank you, Poly Pop...I appreciate your capturing that action during the christening party!

Bamboo Ben created a sign as a gift for us during the christening party.

I picked up a few vintage 1950s/1960s outdoor flood lights on ebay, we put some various colored PAR38 bulbs in them and added them to the landscape. I should add the fact that Ben put a pump in the volcano to make it a fountain. My next step is to get an atomizer to give it that steam effect. I also bought a couple of rock speakers, through which I can add some tropical jungle sounds to add to the ambiance.

Here are some additional night shots I took of the Pahoehoe Hut.

Caltiki Brent

C

Pele Paul, thanks, I appreciate it! The lava flow was Bamboo Ben's work, and he swore me to secrecy as to his tricks (lest a curse be put upon by the volcano gods!).

Caltiki Brent

Love it, Brent. Congrats on a great slice of Polynesian paradise!

C

Thank you, Big Kahuna...next time you're over on this coast, you are welcome to stop in for a visit!

G

Very nice, love the lighting.

Thanks again, Brent for the outstanding party you threw to introduce us to the new lounge
the place had a great old school feel to it & Brent & Christine really knew hot to take it up a few notch's
like A separate "Old Fashioned" drink station & some outstanding "Fresh Blood Orange cocktails"
I have never had a drink that Brent made, I didn't like!

The place looks great Brent!

ATP already said it, but I love the old school feel of your tiki yard. Bamboo Ben did another great job!

looking awesome!!! and you still have tons of room to expand still!!!! like the garage!!! wow I need me some property, living in a condo sucks!!! lol

C

Thanks! We were very lucky to get into this house when prices were at a real dip in 1995. It's a small house though (slightly over 1000 sq. ft.), so we had to move a lot of stuff to the already crowded garage from the patio area when it was redone. Gotta continue the never-ending garage purge, but it is doubtful anything will ever expand into there. There will be plenty of additions to the lanais and backyard, though!

Caltiki Brent

C

For completeness sake, I should include my only two pieces of Witco, both cats.

The other one isn't in the Pahoehoe Hut, though nearby...owing to its utilitarian purpose:

Caltiki Brent

Nice build! I'm jealous that you had the master do your work! That, and your easy access to Oceanic Arts! Love the bar stools as well.

Enjoy!

T

Another Bamboo Ben miracle! Looks great, love the before and after pics. Especially like all the float lighting, makes for a great "vibe" all around. I agree w/ all that have said it, love the classic stylings all around. Congrats!

PP

Bamboo Ben plus 2 Witco cats? now I really hate you!!!!! lol.................jk it looks awesome, gotta have you all come out when I start my new build in Murrieta, Ca................soon!!!!

Be careful what you wish for!

On 2014-01-20 20:00, congawa wrote:
Thank you, Big Kahuna...next time you're over on this coast, you are welcome to stop in for a visit!

T

Nice build. Come on down to Don's on Saturday and find yourself a puffer for that awesome room

Night shots look sweet with all the colors
Good job

Pages: 1 22 replies