Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Temporary outdoor walls? HELP!?

Pages: 1 9 replies

Aloha all!
So I'm from up here in beautiful lush verdant Washington state and have been obsessed with tiki for years. Finally decided to really get down to business on my tiki patio this summer "The hula Hydeaway". Now I'm making pretty great progress on the ceiling, walls and floor but I've hit a dead end.
As it stands I've got two permanent walls and the opposite two open sides look out onto the lawn and my plum tree. The plan is to eventually add on to the deck portion to include room for a hot tub. But for now I'm having trouble with the rain and wind causing chaos with my decor. I've decided I want to make some temporary walls to hang from the open sides. Thoughts have been PVC frames with plastic sheeting which would work but would look oh so cheesy (in a bad way) and some form of heavy curtains which I could make work but I'm worried wouldn't survive the elements.

So I'm out of ideas tiki central ohana! I've checked all the posts and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any awesome ideas?

I'll add photos and a diagram as soon as I get them together.

Mahalo!

T
T
T
G

Pallets - Which is my answer to almost anything outside or temporary. I built my backyard bar and Adirondack chairs with them.

Skip. Those are awesome ideas! I love the look of those willow panels!

Gar. I tend to use a lot of pallets for all kinds of things as well and that hadn't even come to mind. It will take some thinking on how to use them for this. But that is brilliant.

Maybe I could combine the two ideas...

T

Skip. Those are awesome ideas! I love the look of those willow panels!

Not the cheapest way, BUT you could use them in other places after.
Plus they will stand up to weather.
Your garden store maybe able to get these for you.
Good luck!

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Just checking in on this I ended up stumbling onto a blog that gave me this idea. I picked up some super heavy canvas drop cloths for painting. They are a dark canvas and will take really well to waterproofing. I sew auto upholstery on the side so it'll be nothing to turn these into curtains. I may end up running some thick wall pipe as curtain rods. I'm still waffling.

On 2014-02-12 06:06, Keaka-tiki wrote: I picked up some super heavy canvas drop cloths for painting.

And you can paint them!

You can paint or stain them a color to be unobtrusive. Or you can paint them and make them a focal point. Paint a nice beach scene. Or some nice greenery. Or just about anything.

You can use PVC Piping for the top rod, painted to blend in to the ceiling/wall. And sew chain or weights into the bottom to minimize blowing around.

I'm not a fan of pallets because you don't know what used to sit on top of them. At my company we store 55-gallon barrels of hazardous waste on pallets because you can easily pick them up with a forklift. All of the companies that we do business with also store their hazardous waste in on pallets.
Pallets are re-used by many different industries and it's just not safe to use them in my opinion. Just be careful if you do decide to use them.

Pages: 1 9 replies