Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Do you know who made this Tiki?

Pages: 1 23 replies

Hello I'm new to tiki culture so I do not yet recognise the look or style of individual artists. I recently found this on Cragslist and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to the origin.
Thanks for the help..

J

A Wayne Coombs knock-off who popularized the dreaded "Grinning Tooth / Pineapple Head" style.

Is it listed in Florida ?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2014-01-28 11:33 ]

It looks like the mass produced tikis that were available at home improvement stores about five or so years ago.
Homedepot shows one online (discontinued) that is from Backyard Xscapes.
Likely made in Indonesia.

Also, it probably arrived in the states with a couple hundred twins. Not identical. :)

Eric is right, so we will just say "HomeDepot"
instead of the nameless slave carvers of Indonesia...

T

"Wayne Coombs knock-off who popularized the dreaded "Grinning Tooth / Pineapple Head" style."

Wayne sez...

Wayne was Awesome!!!

He was indeed, a real character - but he was a 70s carver who used three basic designs, the pineapple head being one of them, and he was widely copied, so that his grinning Tikis seemed to be everywhere in Florida and beyond. Now even in Indonesia it seems.

T

All true.
But I could not resist.

my dream now is to flip someone off from beyond the grave.

Thanks for the replies. It was posted on the Inland Empire, CA, CL and was located in Crestline, CA.

Irregardless of it's possible mass-market pedigree, I really like it, especially for $40. The weathering makes it all the better...

Look further. If you continue this route, a year or two down the line, you'll disown it.

Hind sight is 20 20, but Bro,
your forecast is priceless.

That was the first tiki I ever purchased & it's still in my back yard. Admittedly, I'm embarrassed to have it now, especially since I'm one of the stops in the San Diego tiki crawl... I have another tiki that my neighbor gave me from TJ that's even worse...

That tiki could be saved.
Buy it for 40, then with a chainsaw, cut off the damn pineapple right at the top of the headband.
Then chisel the teeth down to just an inch or two, so it would have a wide open mouth :x rather than the current 'florida teeth' :D .
Lastly, sand off any white paint remaining on the teeth, and also the eyes.
Wouldn't be so bad then.

If a year or two down the line means I'll be so jaded that I won't still feel the thrill of finding hidden gems and will stop collecting things that I like because they don't have the proper look or maker then no thanks.

On 2014-01-30 22:41, carlsharp wrote:
If a year or two down the line means I'll be so jaded that I won't still feel the thrill of finding hidden gems and will stop collecting things that I like because they don't have the proper look or maker then no thanks.

Actually what I think was the gist of that comment towards your tiki find was....

When we ALL first started to collect tiki we got excited about things that, as our collection increased and our knowledge increased and our exposure to so many amazing tiki artists in our community increased, we can look back and say "Wow, I could never imagine being that excited about finding that item TODAY as I was back then"

No one is giving you a hard time about liking what you like or being stoked to find an item for a good price that you feel was a great score.

Just wait until a few years from now when your collection has morphed and changed and grown and if you happen upon this post you will see how some perspective and time has changed the way you feel.

This is a tiki community--you like tiki carvings. The one you posted is good but have you seen Bosko or Benzart or TikiBeat's tikis? Check out the Tiki Carving thread. Spend a few hours on there. Go back as far as you can. Be prepared to be in awe.

Enjoy what you enjoy. Love what you love. But there is even better stuff out there....you will see :)

S

Great post SandraDee. Very true.

Yes, SandraDee hit the nail on the head. When I bought mine, I loved it. Then... I started learning about different artists and over the years, my taste has changed. I'd say get it! For $40... Even if you like it for just two years, that's only $20 a year & you can sell it if you decide that you don't want it anymore.

Well said SandraDee. I have lots of stuff that I purchased early on, some I have sold, some given away and some I have kept as reminders of how my taste has changed. An important lesson that I have learned when sailing (garage sales)or thrifting, if you like it, buy it, don't worry about what the purist on this site may think. Most of the purist here are very knowledgeable and are responsible for changing my collection by educating me in the history of tiki. They mean no harm when offering advice when you ask them.

U

Judging from the photos, I'd say it was made by "A". :wink:

In all honesty, I'm stumped. I just searched through every brown tiki mug on Ooga-Mooga (and boy are my eyes tired!) but I didn't see it in there. I also tried doing an image search with Google and TinEye, but nothing there either. From the style of it, I'd guess it's a more modern mug, but it can be so hard to tell.

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-13 17:16 ]

U

My vast storehouse of knowledge also says it was made by A...or if Canadian...eh?

Could it be this?

Angry face, dressed in a skirt made of leaves, brown...

There is an App for that?

U

Could be but a web search was unsuccessful

Pages: 1 23 replies