Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

I'm an idiot - rather - can't figure out this ice-cone!

Pages: 1 12 replies

HI Folks,

I recently picked up the the Navy Grog Ice Cone from Cocktail Kingdom, endorsed (and created/designed - I think) by Mr. Beachbum Berry himself.

Unfortunately, I can't figure it out. The instructions say - pack tightly with snow ice and gently remove from mold (prior to freezing). Has anyone actually tried this? Please help me out. I have no idea how to "gently" remove the molded ice without having it collapse completely.

Thanks as usual!

That part of the ice cone mold works like a charm for me. Rather than snow ice I use a fine crush ice that I get from an ice machine at work. I let the ice melt a bit and get a little watery and when I pack that into the mold it forms a perfect cone that holds its form and integrity when you pop them out of the mold. Two hours in the freezer and they are good to go. My guess is your snow ice is too cold and dry to hold together.

The part of the ice cone mold I haven't figured out is the rinky dinky metal skewer amd I don't even use it. I stick with the old chopstick ramrod method while the cone is still in the mold and then slide the straw into the hole, remove the cone from the mold and put it in the freezer.

On 2014-01-28 15:03, Destro100 wrote:
I have no idea how to "gently" remove the molded ice without having it collapse completely.

Thanks as usual!

Your ice is too fine or too dry or both.

If you are using 'snow' to try and make the molds you need to first wet the inside of the mold then pack the snow into the mold. You need that little bit of free water to make a kind of shell in the shape of the mold.

Also if you are using 'snow' you need lots of it. Lots! Like twice as much as you think plus that much again. Pack a bit snow into the mold, mash it down hard, repeat until you reach the top.

I agree with Chip and Andy. I've used snow ice, and it works fine. Just pack it hard into the cone. Use the metal rod to make the hole. Tap the mould and the ice cone should slide straight out.

S

Ice Shell Instructions.

Also helps with the cone.

Most important things are:
A) properly fine ice
B) "wet" ice - let it sit after crushing
C) for the shell, the proper glass

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2014-01-29 05:47 ]

Thanks for the advice.

I did get it to work by freezing the ice in the mold - then letting it warm up outside of the freezer - then re-freezing the mold.

Tonight I'll try letting the snow ice melt a bit and wetting the mold slightly.

Thanks so much for the help - I felt like a true neanderthal. Now slightly less so.

I'm sure you've worked it out by now but first time I used mine I left it in the cone. I've subsequently made a few out of the cone & as long as you pack the cone well they hold their shape :)

A

Ps - Ive been inspired by this thread & just made two!!

Its definitely easier if you pack as much in as you can (I balanced the cone in a glass), then ram the stick through. (then I put the straw in & freeze it). Oh, & do it over something / in a tub because if you're like me, you'll get snow ice everywhere :)

Now you got me spending money at Cocktail Kingdom...

:)

S

I was sure that since my straws are bigger than that rod I would not be able to get the straw in later, but I was wrong. I had trouble with 1 of the 4, but the others worked fine.

Here's a thought: try warming the metal cone under warm water before packing it. It should melt the ice slightly before freezing, and give it a little solidity.

I've made mine by using a Pilsner glass and snow-type ice from my vintage, (1960's) Oster "Snowflake" ice crusher. I pack it real good (with the plastic straw inserted) and then run the glass under cool water: the cone slides right out and then I put them in the freezer, on dry wax paper, flat side down with the straw hanging down through the shelf. I can fit six of them in the freezer at the same time. If I know I'm going to need more, I make them in 'batches' of six, freeze them in my regular freezer and then transfer them to my separate 'deep freeze' unit.
Works good for me!

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GENT

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2014-01-30 15:18 ]

I put Beachbum Berry’s Navy Grog Ice Cone Kit through some rigorous tests, and posted my results (along with some insightful comments from many folks here on TC) ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/06/11/navy-grog-ice-cone-lost-art-is-revived-by-cocktail-enthusiasts-handy-gadget/

Pages: 1 12 replies