Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Santa Barbara Hotel Recommendations?

Pages: 1 16 replies

The Santa Barbara report by TwowheelinTiki and co. has whet my appetite for a SB LA-getaway.

Is anyone familiar with the Tropicana Inn on Castillo?

Does anyone have any other SB hotel recommendations (preferably with a balcony)?

Thank you.

In May we had reservations for the Tropicana Inn but due to remodeling, moved
to the adjacent motel (name escapes me.) It was nice with a common balcony overlooking the courtyard and pool. The spa was extra hot. I'd call ahead about the construction if you really want to stay at the Tropicana.

C

There's a wide range of accommodations in Santa Barbara, and I don't know of anything tiki-specific. Try http://www.spanishgardeninn.com/ .

if you are not strictly, looking for a tiki place to stay - our favorite place is the Upham Hotel - a charming historic bed and breakfast about a block or so off State Street. sigh... i wish i was there now.

http://www.uphamhotel.com/
(turn down the chessy music at the website - why do places do that to their websites anyway - the elvis house in palm springs is the worst)

the place we stayed was cheap and pretty cool.I think it was the hacienda inn($55) on state street just 2 blocks south of the best western($116)This was maybe 5-6 blocks from the state street exit and the 101 frwy..It had a big room and bed and a ceiling fan.Make damn sure to go down to state street west and shop your ass off.There is a cool island clothing place that has big bamboo wind chimes for $5.00!!!!.Chucks is right next door to the best western.

Don't know about hotel's in SB, but you gotta eat at Mesa Cafe (breakfast) Rudy's (casual mex) Ruby's on state( Salsa dancing on fri w/live music) Carlitos (also on state, Sit-down mex dining w/ live music) Rusty's pizza for grub in the hotel and the Brown Pelican on Hendry's beach for a relaxing dinner on the beach. Yes I like to eat and yes I've personaly tried all of these places.

chiki, you like to eat?, funny, it doesn't show........bahahahahahahaha!!.From the biggest gordo on T.C. TWT

I like Casa Del Mar. 1 block away from the ocean.
http://www.casadelmar.com/santa-barbara-bed-breakfast.asp

The Santa Barbara Inn is located just across from the East Beach and features palm tree and ocean views. Hotel Oceana also is located on Cabrillo Hwy and has nicer rooms, a nicer pool and an abundance of patios. Both feature free breakfastgs

N

On 2003-07-17 09:28, christiki295 wrote:
The Santa Barbara report by TwowheelinTiki and co. has whet my appetite for a SB LA-getaway.

Is anyone familiar with the Tropicana Inn on Castillo?

Does anyone have any other SB hotel recommendations (preferably with a balcony)?

Thank you.
I lived in SB for over 20 years. It's tourist season so every place will be priced at a premium. If you want to be down at beach you might have to pay, pay, pay wherever you find a vacancy. I doubt you'll be successful but you might see if anything is available at the beach Motel 6.

If you've got a date you'd like to visit and your wallet can't abide the beach price, you might try the Orange Tree. It's in the 1900 block of State (just south of Mission). It's on the far edge of downtown but far enough from the beach that the price should be a bit more reasonable and there may even be vacancies.

I used to walk 18 blocks to get to the beach so I don't think the Orange Tree's too far. But you can always drive. (Just don't drive on State Street between Gutierrez (400 block) and Victoria (1300 block) and you'll be fine.)

Oh, the Drunk & Disorderly Disctrict is the 400-700 blocks of State. And be sure and eat a torpedo at the Greek Italian Deli.

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 4:40 PM

The Biltmore!!!

C

I just booked Halloween weekend at the Hotel Santa Barbara. It is right on state street, comes with breakfast and free wifi. For us the main perk is is is central and a block or two from the train station since that is how we are getting into town.

On 2008-07-09 16:40, KuKu wrote:
The Biltmore!!!

Although the Biltmore is one of the most expensive hotels in Southern California, it is free to stroll the grounds and one can have almost a 180 degree view of the bay from the bar's patio - perfect at sunset.

H

Biltmore is my favorite hotel in Santa Barbara, you should go there and have a cocktail if you get a chance, they serve free munchies and the service is always good. The Margaritas are fantastic. On Sunday's they have one of the best brunches anywhere. Also, the Hotel is a Spanish Colonial style building worth seeing. The view from the restaurant or the bar area is fantastic.

On 2008-07-07 12:05, Naneki wrote:

Thank you.

The Fess Parker overlooking the East Beach - the preferred view - is having an internet special w. advance purchase. Also, Hotel Oceana is too.

C

[ Edited by: CaseyJPS 2009-06-18 18:38 ]

Just booked at the Motel 6 near East Beach. Good location and advertises remodeled rooms.

Hopefully it will work out well and I wont hear the cars in the parking lot or open the door to exhaust!

Pages: 1 16 replies