Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Front door

Pages: 1 7 replies

This is the front door to a house I bought in April. Been searching the internet for info on this style and finally found this site. Tiki or no tiki? House was built in 1969 by a doctor who had spent time in Japan after WWII.

It looks Malaysian or Indonesian in origin.

Very cool door! I can't help you with ideas on the style, but I am curious to know what its made of. Looks like aged bronze, and doesn't show any signs of aging, it just looks great.

I'll also be looking for responses from others on what that style is. I've seen stuff similar to it here-and-there in various cities, on other works of art, maybe even on stuff in some museums.

Thanks. Sorry to disappoint, Ace. It's just some sort of painted (brown) resin as best I can tell. The door itself is about 3.5" thick. The carved design makes up about 3/4" of that. Here are more pics. Note the peep hole and door "knobs". The knobs are really just pulls. They do not latch. Only the small lock keeps the door closed.

Not a disappointment at all, cincitikitiki! I appreciate the extra info, its very interesting. Makes me wonder if only a small number of carvings were done, then molds were made, and then replicated and assembled into the much larger doors.

I'm sure this is good food for thought for some artists here on TC. It could inspire some future work(s).

These doors are very cool! Tiki or not. I would be proud to sport those doors at my home :D.

I agree those doors make quite a statement in your entryway. Obviously substantial in build and awesome in design. Very nice, thanks for sharing them.

Beautiful doors, Wendy

Pages: 1 7 replies