Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Rattan chairs found today

Pages: 1 10 replies

PP

found these chairs today, can someone direct me to the link with the Rattan repair guide?? lol got the chairs for 20.00 each so Id love to restore them, thanks

C
croe67 posted on Sun, Feb 9, 2014 6:03 PM

Also do some searches here on the forums.

I restored a 6-band rattan set a few years back & used a lot of tips I found here on various threads - from what stripper to use to what finish to use, etc, etc. It's not all in 1 place, but there is a lot of good info to be mined here.

T

This is a good book.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Fabulous-Woodworking-Books-Country-Furniture-Rattan-Furniture-MORE-LOOK-/380833876559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ab77ca4f

AND.. it would help if you tell us what you need to restore, the binding, finish?
Franks has the small binding you may need and books on how tos as well.
Good luck.

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-02-11 04:38 ]

T

Oh and here is a photo of that book for when ebay sale ends here.
And on page after there is a how to I did for a rattan chair repair.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18485&forum=18&start=60

PP

thanks everyone, that helps a lot!!! it looks like the binding needs replacing, and prob a good cleaning and another coat of shelack!

T

Thought I'd chime in. The Alth rattan repair book is a great resource we have a copy at the library and I recommend to all.

Hey PP,
I bought a hank of binding/wraps at Oceanic Arts.
I studied the binding that needed repair and decided not to “save” any of it.
I carefully unwrapped it and noted how it was wrapped. As I wrapped the new binding it was easy to look at another existing binding for refrence. Almost too easy.
I did NOT soak the binding material before I wrapped it around the piece I was working on. Again, almost too easy. Used some of bindings from the same Hank as above a year later and it was very brittle and kept breaking at the slightest bend. It had been hanging by a hot window during that time. I tossed the hank into the family pool for a couple of days and it was once again easy to use. Let it dry completely before you put a finish on it.

Good luck

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-02-10 19:39 ]

T

On 2014-02-10 19:11, Pele Paul wrote:
thanks everyone, that helps a lot!!! it looks like the binding needs replacing, and prob a good cleaning and another coat of shelack!

Take care if you use shellac.
Shellac will be tacky, even after it dries if you sit on it.
So this may not be the best thing to do.
You need to study more to find what top coat to use for a sitting chair, mine was for looks only.

See that that ebay book sold right after posted here, did you get it?

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

I've never used real shellac, but I have used urethane from Lowe's. It dries to a hard and durable finish and responds very well to multiple coats if you need "thickness" to the gloss material. On my bare wood project, the first coat acted as a sealer. The subsequent coats were used to get a nice deep glossy finish.

There is a difference between urethane and polyurethane -- I think it has to do with indoor versus outdoor use and UV resistance, something like that. For my application, the urethane was ideal. The paint counter folks helped set me straight on which one to use.

Nice acquisition! Good luck with the refurbishing. :)

Pages: 1 10 replies