Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

World's Largest Yard Sale is coming

Pages: 1 10 replies

S

If you are in the east, you likely know about this already, but here's your wake up call. The Highway 127 sale is August 2-10th! Last year even with the rain, Kiliki and I scored some good stuff. Highway 127 starts in Alabama, goes through Georgia, and then on up through Kentucky and the whole way is littered with antiques sellers. We will be heading down to Chattanooga once again and going north from there starting on Saturday morning. So much stuff was ruined in the rain last year that it really was not representative. So we are excited about blowing money on more old crap this year to pack our house! With Kiliki just buying a station wagon, we can fit anything in there!

Oh my god!!! I am so &^%$@*?!ing jelouse of you!
One of my dream vacations is to rent a motor home and do that very yard sale you are talking about! I saw a clip about it on the travel channel or something..I hope you have a grand time and I hope you find the best stuff!! I live in Reno.. I don't think I could swing the cat this year...mabey next year.. I'd have to drive there.. I don't fly too well. is there some sort of website re: this event? a mailing list? let me know....

S

This is really the only web site. It's pretty grass roots thing. But my co worker's mom is an antiques dealer and she has a tent out there for the past few years and I have a little inside on it. There are dealers who come in with semi's full from all over the US. All the regualrs actually start putting stuff back for this thing way in advance. It's really huge. You would definitely have to drive because how else would you get all your stuff home? It's just massive. And Hwy 127 is all back country where we were. It crosses the Interstate here and there, but mostly it's pasture land and little towns. A motel room goes for over $100 during this thing, and they are often full of the sellers. But you can pick your stops in larger areas. It's great to stop at the little diners along the way. They are just slammed because all these people want to eat at an old diner and not McDonalds.

Thank you very much for the info. Aug. 2 -10 happens to be Hot August Nights for us here in Reno.. we get a gazilloin visitors here in Reno with their old cars. I think the web address is HotAugustNights.com
I will find out the link and put it up.
I think I will try to plan on next year for the yard sale. I can't Imagine there ever being enough days to check everything out. Sometimes I can breeze through a yard sale or do the "drive-by".. you know when it's crap and when it's got have something good. Lots of clothes and baby stuff are a huge red flag for me. But unintelligent people who's grandparents just past away..Jackpot! They have no clue some of these idiots..Usually they are the ones who have brand new everything! Like the guy in the tv commercial.."I belong to the country club..I Live in a brand new home..I drive a new car..you ask me how I do it?? I'm in debt up to me eyeballs!
Suckers!!

[ Edited by: MonkeyPaw on 2003-07-21 01:01 ]

Hey Swanky!!! I'm envious, too. Although the West Coast is a little more "Tiki-Fied", I miss the opportunities of finding more old stuff that you guys have in that part of the country. I grew up back there and remember all the old stuff that was there. (I cringe when I think about all the stuff I passed on!) Be sure to post some pics of your finds! Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

...and be sure to post pics of the yard sale madness! Do you ever have any run ins with Yard sale vultures? Rude Goblin types.. you know the ones.. you reach to pick something up and this Gollum type arm reaches out and snatches it out of your hands and creeks.."that's mine..." as they slink off with your loot... I shudder at the thought of dealing with those types of people... But I bet that HWY sale is worth it!

I'm getting excited now! It's gonna be so nice having more time this year. Last year Swanky and I had just attended his high school reunion and then caught it on the last day. This time we'll be able to go more of a long distance.

We'll take lots of pics for everyone

I thought "Hot August Night" was a Neal Diamond album...

S

Well, the yard sale was not so great for us. We got a late start and found some cool stuff at good prices, but then the rain came and we waited and it just wasn't stopping. So we gave up. We got a few things, but not one mug. Records and vintage magazines. This happened to us last year. We did see a bunch of palm wood tikis, but they were awful. I will post pictures later.

S

Carvers make room! There's a new guy out there choppin' and paintin'! Too bad it was raining or we could have gotten prices. I hope they were very close to the price of the log so they could be recarved.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2003-08-03 10:45 ]

They look like turds with faces, as if they had just smelled themselves.

Pages: 1 10 replies