Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 2-12-14 Valentine's Day

Pages: 1 4 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 12, 2014

On this week’s show we interpolated the erotical and entropical envelopments inspired by imminent advent of Saint Valentine’s Day.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Makanani,” a courting song about being patient, by Henry Machado Sr. and Helena Kalokuokamaile Salazar, performed by Owana Ka’ohelelani Salazar on her 1986 album: Owana, featuring her on Vocals & Guitar with Alan Akaka on Steel Guitar and Al Ka’ai on Slack-Key Guitar.

2. “Pua Hone,” written by Dennis Kamakahi, a love song extolling the beauty of his lover, performed by The Brothers Cazimero on their 1978 recording: Ho‘ala, with Robert Cazimero on Bass & Vocals, and Roland Cazimero on 12-String Guitar & Vocals.

3. “Wai Ulu,” another Hawaiian love song played by the Slack-Key Guitar Master Keola Beamer on his CD: Soliloquy – Ka Leo Loko.

4. “Yaaka Hula Hickey Dula (Hawaiian Love Song)” the 1916 song composed by Edward Ray Goetz, Joe Young and Pete Wendling, recorded by George Lewis and featured on the bumptious bouquet: Broadway’s Gone Hawaii.

5. The 1929 song by Arthur Freed, & Nacio Herb Brown, “Pagan Love Song,” later used as title for the 1950 Esther Williams-Howard Keel movie of the same name, recorded here in 1947 and taken from the copious collection: Dorothy Lamour -- Queen of the Hollywood Islands.

6. “Memories Are Made of This” sung in 1955 by Dean Martin on his anthemic anthology: The Capitol Collectors Series, it was composed by Terry Gilkyson, Richard Dehr and Frank Miller, who also provided the backing vocals under the name: “The Easy Riders.”

7. “Lei Nani (Beautiful Lei),” by Charles Namahoe and recorded by Ray Kane on Vocal and Slack Key Guitar on his 1998 CD: Wa'ahila.

8. “Ha'aheo E Ka Manu Pikake” composed by Johnny Lum Ho, The Peter Moon Band album: Cane Fire! featuring Steve Wofford on Vocal, Peter Moon on Lead and Rhythm Guitars; and Cyril Pahinui CP on Rhythm Guitar.

9. “Je Cherche Un Homme (I Want a Man),” the Michel Emer composition recorded in 1955 by Eartha Kitt and included on the eponymous album: Miss Kitt, To You, with Henri René and his Orchestra. This version was used in the 2003 Jack Nicholson-Diane Keaton movie: Something’s Gotta Give.

10. “Let’s Face the Music and Dance,” written by Irving Berlin for the 1936 Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers movie: Follow the Fleet, and recorded in 1963 by Tony Bennett for his liquaceous LP: I Wanna Be Around…, including Ralph Sharon on Piano.

11. From the 1946 movie: Tars and Spars, “I'm Glad I Waited for You,” sung by Peggy Lee with her husband, the guitarist Dave Barbour & His Orchestra, featured on the creative compilation: I've Heard That Song Before: Songs of Jule Styne.

12. The Little Willie John composition: “Fever,” released in 1960 The Three Suns and featured on the crepuscular collection: The History of Space Age Pop, Vol. 2: Mallets in Wonderland.

13. “Planet Named Desire” by Billy Mize from the retro Sci Fi soundscape: Moonage Timequake.

14. “Penetration” by The Pyramids, found on the ahistorical anthology: Surf Wax: Songs of the Beach.

15. “Longboard Baby” by the Hula Girls from their 2010 CD: The Curse of the Tiki, featuring Dominic Tucci on Vocal, Drums and Percussion, Spike Marble on Electric Guitar and Gary Brandin on Steel Guitar.

16. “To Be Naked and French Is Always Hard” by The Mermen from their Year 2000 aquatitational album: The Amazing California Health and Happiness Road Show, with Jim Thomas on Electric Guitar, Joe Goldmark on Steel Guitar, Allen Whitman on Bass and Martyn Jones on Drums.

TM

Excellent choices, as usual, Doctor.

Track 15 also includes Lucas Vigor, on bass.

On 2014-02-12 15:35, lucas vigor wrote:
Excellent choices, as usual, Doctor.

Track 15 also includes Lucas Vigor, on bass.

Sorry I left that out!

TM

You seem to have a lot of Hawaiian music.....I totally love that! To me, it isn't really tiki unless there is vintage Hawaiian music somehow involved. You seem to get that, hence, I really respect your show!

I try to work in good Hawaiian music whenever I can, even if it is just a few songs at the outset of the show. Sometimes I include more, sometimes less. I have a friend who studied healing arts with the Kahunas and knew some of the old musicians like George Na'ope.

During my first year on the air I produced a couple of two-hour shows, one on the history of the ukulele and the other on the history of the slack-key guitar. At some point I hope to do another on the history of the steel guitar, but that has proven to be a bit more daunting a prospect given its much more widespread presence in the history of music.

When it comes to Hawaiian music, I do try to stay away from songs that are overtly political and religious chanting, which I don't think fit comfortably in with a Tiki show format. As for the schlocky pop fusion stuff, I happen to think the best of it fits in well with the Mid-Century pop music I play. Can anyone really believe that Na Leo is worse than the Puppini Sisters? The only thing I don't care for much is most Jawaiian reggae, although unlike Dave Kois, author of the 33 1/3 book on the Facing Future album by IZ, I wouldn't go as far as to say that listening to it makes me want to jam a screwdriver into my eyeball!

Pages: 1 4 replies