Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

New Monin TIKI and South Seas Syrups!

Pages: 1 18 replies

Check it out! New Tiki and South Seas flavored Syrups from Monin! Just placed my order! Should be fun to see how these work in the arsenal.

http://www.monin.com/us-en

K
Klas posted on Thu, Feb 20, 2014 2:25 AM

"With its exotic blend of passion fruit, pomegranate and ginger ... Perfect for creating the classic Mai Tai, Hurricane, Zombie"

http://www.monin.com/us-en/products/premium-syrups-0/monin-tiki-blend

Makes me want to stop using their other syrups.

www.thesurfites.com

[ Edited by: Klas 2014-02-20 02:27 ]

Yup, Klas, that is very unfortunate marketing verbiage. Folks in North America can send Monin a note with your reaction and thoughts at http://www.monin.com/us-en/contact In other countries, go to the Monin web site home page, click on "contact us," and follow directions to send a note to the Monin main office for your country or continent.

I sent them the following:

Hello, your "Tiki Blend" syrup is being marketed as "Perfect for creating the classic Mai Tai, Hurricane, Zombie and Tropical Punch..." You also refer to this syrup as "authentic." I do not believe these assertions are correct, and by making these statements, am politely suggesting that the Monin brand is contributing to ongoing historical revisionism related to these and other truly classic cocktails. The actual roots of these cocktails, and the development of their recipes, are known and respected by restaurant and bar consultants, cocktail historians, and other mixologists who are in-the-know. These individuals often use Monin products in bars and restaurants. I personally respect and value the Monin brand and am therefore calling this to your attention for your review and consideration. Please feel free to contact me if you would like additional information. With kindest regards, (my signature, city, state)

A

The product information for Tiki Blend continues with, "Create global mash-ups where Central America meets the Pacific Rim by adding MONIN Tiki Blend to your margarita."

Since when is a maragarita from Central America?

Here's their recipe for a Mai Tai: http://www.monin.com/us-en/printpdf/43995

It's not. But if this progression continues, they'll eventually suggest you can add their tiki syrup to beer, coffee, cola, etc. It simply looks like marketing gone wild, then combined with sales and financial people seeing potential for increased sales. It definitely tarnishes the Monin brand by documenting apparent ignorance of, or disregard for, true cocktail recipes and origins. I'm sure the syrup is decent, but it's just not right for Monin to further bastardize classic cocktail recipes in this world where Mai Tais show up in any color of the rainbow depending on how the wind blows up the bartender's skirt.

Yup, their Mai Tai recipes are both Monin-product-centric and easy to mix in a standard/average bar and definitely not authentic. If only they would push the authentic cocktails and begin educating the masses about what we all have discovered. Their sales could only improve if they became the standard-bearer, and most everyone would win.

yeah, i kind of disregarded their verbiage about making an authentic....blah, blah...You do make a great point....

At the least try something like...."make your own NEW tiki concoction".... but to say that this will make an authentic Mai Tai, Zombie, is misleading.

[ Edited by: Maui Chimes 2014-02-20 10:31 ]

On 2014-02-20 08:55, arriano wrote:

Seriously??? Anybody that hasn't studied cocktail history associates the margarita with Mexico.

On 2014-02-20 13:25, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

Seriously??? Anybody that hasn't studied cocktail history associates the margarita with Mexico.

Not to be that guy, but Wikipedia has several origin stories for the Margarita, and most of them are set in Mexico. Is there another more accepted version you can reference?

In all honesty, I'm happy to see this. It means that Tiki it still enough on the radar that it warrants its own mix from such a well-known company as Monin. I agree that their take on "authentic" tiki drinks is off the mark, but it's still exciting to see.

H

On 2014-02-20 13:42, TikiTacky wrote:

On 2014-02-20 13:25, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

Not to be that guy, but Wikipedia has several origin stories for the Margarita, and most of them are set in Mexico. Is there another more accepted version you can reference?

I think even arriano would agree that the Margarita is associated with Mexico. However, Mexico is considered part of North America, not Central America.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I thought people were saying the Margarita wasn't from Mexico, and I was curious what the story was.

On 2014-02-20 13:49, TikiTacky wrote:
In all honesty, I'm happy to see this. It means that Tiki it still enough on the radar that it warrants its own mix from such a well-known company as Monin. I agree that their take on "authentic" tiki drinks is off the mark, but it's still exciting to see.

Very good point!

A

I use Monin products, they are not only the most available in the UK but also are good products IMO.

I rate their Orgeat most highly - it just tastes 'clean' to me (not synthetic). Their Cannelle (cinammon) is quite spicy, I tend measure a little less than required most of the time. The Passionfruit is quite dominant so I use about 2/3rds what is required & it works well. The gomme has a thick texture that adds a good mouth feel in Old Fashioneds. I also have a few others in tester size (vanilla, grenadine, hazelnut, cane syrup) which all seem reasonable.

They do have 'out there' flavours that I don't fancy (like bubble gum!?!). They also have IMO unnecessary products like mint or curaçao syrup (where you can use proper ingredients).

The marketing blurb is amusing, as the only shared ingredient across the Mai Tai / Zombie / Hurricane is dark jamaican rum - maybe it tastes like that?

I would be sceptical about a generic 'tiki syrup' but you never know, it might be alright :)

I'm more than willing to give both of those syrups a try. Maybe not in an already known recipe, but one of my own creation just to see what I can come up with.

K

I work in an espresso bar & while they aren't "authentic" for the aforementioned alcoholic drinks, I'm quite sure they'd be GREAT as Italian sodas or shaken in ice teas. We carry Monin syrups where I work. I'll have to see about checking these out.

However, Mexico is considered part of North America, not Central America.

Ha! You may be right; I may be crazy. My Lonely Planet shows Mexico as part of C.A. but the rest of the internets seem to agree with you. Anyhow, I apologize for the derail here.

I havent tried those syrups but from what i see on their website i wouldnt bother with them in tiki drinks, they are prolly good in something else. btw that Mai Tai recipe makes me cringe....

Its up to us to keep educating the world about how Mai Tais and other tiki drinks should be made. I think there´s been a lot of progress though but theres still a lot more to do.

Pages: 1 18 replies