Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Pop, Musee du Quai Branley in Paris, France, June 2014

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

EB

As nearly everybody knows about the upcoming exhibition in Paris, it was HaiKais suggestion to have a kind of get together on the evening before the show opens. So, any ideas? Who will participate? Lets do something quite nice over here in good ol' Europe at this great occasion!

UT

Sounds like a good time. I wish I could make it across the big pond.

BK

Me too, Trav. At least I have a couple of pieces in the show.

EB

At least something happened ion this threat. Alright, as far as I know, Hai Kai Sarnes, Moritz R. and Jimmy Virani will be there. I contacted some British Guys but got no response... Somebody from the US?

O

If someone in Paris will bring a HD projector, I'll be at this gathering with a video from last years Tiki Oasis and a slide show that can run all night. I'll be in Paris June 6th for my brothers exhibit across the river from the Brantley at Palais de Tokyo museum of modern art. They are open until midnight so if anyone wants to check it out one evening before Sven's show, let's do it. Michael McMillen installation art is in museums all over the world. There are some photos of Pavilion of Rain which is a houseboat floated at a dock belonging to a Ww2 pilot at night and it rains every few minutes. He worked as a model maker building miniatures for films like Close Encounters, 1941 and Blade Runner.
I'll be in Paris June 2 to June 10, then back a few days before Sven's show. So who is going to be in town?

I

I will be in Paris for the opening - representing the U.S. Arriving on June 20 (just a few days after Hukilau ends), departing June 28.

I'm staying at the Eiffel 7 Hotel (a 10 minute walk (?) from the quai Branly)

Its been 14 years since my last Paris trip . . . my goals for this trip is exhibit opening, cocktail lounges, and many museums . . . and whatever else others might suggest.

Vern

Have fun Vern! Take lots of pics!

We will be there from Monday till Wedenesday, There is something going on at Born Bad and will be going to Le tiki bar and Dirty Dicks all with a few other British Tikiphiles( I will post more up when we have details!)

My lovely wife and I will be attending the museum opening. Arrive in Paris on June 20 and stay through June 25. It would be great to set a time to meet some of the other Tiki travelers and do a crawl to Le Tiki and Dirty Dick's. Shoot me a PM with email contact info if you are interested.

DC

The Festival des Arts d'Hawai'i will also be going on the musée du quai Branly starting June 27.

http://www.festivalartsdhawaii.com/

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2014-06-02 08:40 ]

EB

Alright, there will be at least two guys from Austria joining the tribe on June, the 24th at the Born Bad...

T

We are arriving on Monday 23rd June, and think that most of the English tiki crowd are going to the Born Bad party on the Monday night, and then Tuesday at the museum, then the Born Bad party on the Tuesday night, also on either one of these nights or both, we will be doing the Le Tiki lounge and Dirty Dick's, and then we come home on the Wednesday evening of the 25th, but would be great to meet up with you all, and make a great few days with like minded people from around the World!

O

Arrived in Paris via Air Tahiti from LAX. The in flight movies had lots of Tiki. planning on being back from Italy before Sven's show and going to the Tiki bars. See you all in Paris. If anyone wants to go to the Palais de Tokyo across the Seine to see my brothers installation, let me know, it just opened on June 6th. He transported 40 tons of material to Paris including a small Tiki he carved as a child in the fifties. Took me a while to find it but I finally found in in one of the rooms. If you do a search for Pavilion of Rain here on TC, you will see another installation of a WW 2 pilots house boat on a rainy night floating dock side. PM me if you want to go before Tiki Pop in Paris opens.

O

I believe Jonpaul Balak and Marie will be there.
after they go to Italy for Surfer Joe festival.

have fun,
please post pics here for those of us not on FB.

Jeff(btd)

We'll be there in amongst it in 2 weeks. Whooo hooooo

V

Yes, I'll be there for sure :

Monday evening at Quai Branly.
Tuesday at Born Bad Retro Shopping (rue Keller) all day for the installation and opening of the tiki pop off and then Lone Palm (rue Keller too) for party.
And then, the 4th of July, I'll be back for a big free party at the Quai Branly to DJ, with Laojia to carve, the tiki lounge and other attractions.

Places to check for foreigners (in my opinion at least) in Paris :

• Quai Branly (duh)

There is of course 2 tiki bars in town :

• Tiki Lounge (near Republique)
  • Dirty Dick (near Pigalle)

lots of other cocktail bars (Maria Loca seems wonderful, it's a new rum and cachaca bar, Experimental Cocktail Club, Curio Parlor, La Candelaria and many others...)

• Born Bad Record shop (rue St Sabin, for records)
  • Born Bad Retro Clothing (tiki, clothes, tiki exhibit) : rue Keller
  • Un Regard Moderne (my favorite Bookstore in the world) (rue Git le Coeur, in the Latin Quarter)

2 great rum stores (expensive though, for regular martinique rums such as Clement or St James, check the local supermarkets like Super U, Monoprix...) :

• Christian De Montaguère (rue de l'Abbé Grégoire)
  • A'Rhum (rue du grenier st lazare)

Of course, lots of great restaurants, bars, museums (Quai Branly, Centre Pompidou, Palais de Tokyo...)

Ask me anything on facebook @ jimmy virani

Pre-opening at Tiki Pop! Awesome exhibit, great job by Seven and Naomi.

DC

If anyone snaps some photos of the exhibition please share them. I would love to be there in person but some pics would be great and thanks.

A little taster...

At the Mai Tai bar built by Cheeky Tiki as part of the exhibit

Gaugin's walking stick

The book and the mug at private viewing - with lovely Miss Bamboo!

The after party at Dirty Dick with Exotic Tramp better half of Pocket Tiki

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

[ Edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2014-06-26 13:49 ]

[ Edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2014-06-26 13:57 ]

Thanks for the photos. Very very cool. Looks to be well planned out and executed. Very nice indeed. Thanks again.

I can't believe that there aren't more pics from this exhibit/ event.

Jeff btd

Initially, I didn't want to hog the thread! But as no-one else has posted, I'll upload some more.

T

YESSSSS, please post more pictures. I don't think too many Tiki Central members are able to go and we must experience it vicariously.

And those who did go are prob. Posting pics on their FB.

Jeff btd

Very nice job, Sven & all those who contributed.

I'll get some on later

Tiki Pop DVD:
http://www.amazon.fr/TIKI-POP-Collection-DIALOGUES-exposition/dp/B00JQHKDDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403809848&sr=8-4&keywords=tiki+pop

The website lists it as PAL format, region 2 but what I received was NTSC with no region code. It plays just fine in my dvd player.

Edited to indicate proper format

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2014-07-08 16:26 ]

And it's "Region 2" for Europe, we need "Region 1" or region-free. If it was region-free then our DVD players here might have a chance at playing the European PAL format. I read online that modern players are most often shipped with the ability to read both to simplify production of players made in China.

What a great event!,There will be pics to follow soon

On 2014-06-30 12:25, AceExplorer wrote:
And it's "Region 2" for Europe, we need "Region 1" or region-free. If it was region-free then our DVD players here might have a chance at playing the European PAL format. I read online that modern players are most often shipped with the ability to read both to simplify production of players made in China.

Or you can get a Universal "All Region" DVD or Blu-Ray Player (I have an Oppo)
these are usually Players made for overseas markets that can play PAL & NTSC format disks.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-06-30 13:35 ]

OK here's a few of my photos.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2014-06-30 14:15 ]

S

On the subject of all region DVD players...

Apparently most ARE all region, but are programmed for the area they're being shipped to before leaving the factory. Google DVD hack. There are sites dedicated to finding out the hack codes for DVD players. Usually just 4 or 5 numbers you punch in once you know the "secret" (some button combination to bring up the programming menu). I got one years ago for 20 bucks, hacked it, and have enjoyed many a euro-trash flick not released in the U.S. Aloha

[ Edited by: spy-tiki 2014-06-30 23:25 ]

I

I came home from Paris with both the Tki Pop book and DVD. The DVD played perfectly on both my home PC and blu-ray player attached to my TV. On the back of the DVD case it does say: DVD 9 - Couleur - NTSC - Audio :Stereo

I really enjoyed this DVD. It has a casual, warm intimate feel to it, as it is mostly footage and interviews of long-time tiki people, mostly filmed in their homes, and little if any footage of the larger Hukilau / Tiki Oasis type events. Among those who appear are Bosko, Otto, Chris Garland, Martin Cate, Sven, The Fisherman, Leroy and Bob, Humuhumu, Bamboo Ben, and Notch. And also the granddaughter of Trader Vics, who showed off a drink recipe flip-file from a 1958 Cuba Trader Vics, which I was quite impressed with

It is not a document of the museum exhibit, but there is plenty of eye candy. Sylvain Bergere and Nathalie Levy-Lang did a good job in producing and making this film, which runs about 52 minutes (France Television was a partner with this) There is a bonus short film, Beachbum Berry's early 1991 short film 'The Secret of Easter Island' The DVD allows you to switch between the English/French language.

Definitely a welcome addition to your Tiki DVD collection.

On 2014-06-30 19:28, ikitnrev wrote:
I came home from Paris with both the Tki Pop book and DVD. The DVD played perfectly on both my home PC and blu-ray player attached to my TV. On the back of the DVD case it does say: DVD 9 - Couleur - NTSC - Audio :Stereo

So there IS an NTSC version. That's good to know. When you purchased it, you had a choice between NTSC and PAL?

On 2014-06-30 14:11, spy-tiki wrote:
On the subject of all region DVD players...

Apparently most ARE all region, but are programmed for the area they're being shipped to before leaving the factory. Google DVD hack. There are sites dedicated to finding out the hack codes for DVD players. Usually just 4 or 5 numbers you punch in once you know the "secret" (some button combination to bring up the programming menu). I got one years ago for 20 bucks, hacked it, and have enjoyed many a euro-trash flick not released in the U.S. Aloha

[ Edited by: spy-tiki 2014-06-30 23:25 ]

This true, you may already have an all region DVD or Bluray player
you may just need to unlock it to play those disks
here is the website to find out those models & codes (note: not all these players can play PAL disks though)
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

A few more:

Wow! Thanks for posting that clip.

Jeff btd

UT

Just watched the video. Fantastic job Sven!

T

There's some fantastic stuff in there. I wonder:

• How many of the items in the exhibit are covered in the book?
  • Who owns those items? Sven? The museum? A lot of different people?

The book weighs over six pounds (2.8 kg) with 383 pages. It's all in there and more! And as far as who owns what, I guess you all know who you are :wink: many items listed as in private collection.

T

On 2014-07-02 08:29, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
And as far as who owns what, I guess you all know who you are :wink: many items listed as in private collection.

That must have been a monumental task organizing the collection and transportation of items from so many different people. I can only imagine how much work went into it. Thanks to Sven for putting it together, as well as everyone who was involved in loaning items it other capacities. I'm sad I won't get to see the exhibit, but I'll be happy when my book arrives.

UT

Very cool Sven. Thanks for the link to the photos.

Q
Q-tiki posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2014 7:19 PM

Fantastic exhibit BigBro!! I wish I could see it in person. Any chance of bring it to the US after the Paris run?

Congrats to you and all who helped put it together. Cheeky Tiki, in particular, did a tremendous job with the Mai-Tai room.

Cheers and Aloha!

H

On 2014-06-30 11:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Tiki Pop DVD:
http://www.amazon.fr/TIKI-POP-Collection-DIALOGUES-exposition/dp/B00JQHKDDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403809848&sr=8-4&keywords=tiki+pop

It's in PAL format, not sure if an NTSC version is planned.

Any other sources selling this?

Okay, so I was able to confirm that the Amazon France has the dvd listed wrong. I ordered one from them and what I received was NTSC with No Region code. !! I'll go back and edit my original post.

Here are a few more images, Anyone who hasnt been yet you must see it, Definately worth the trip and the main exhibitions are also amazing(especially the south seas stuff)

Pages: 1 2 85 replies