Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Mokupuni Lounge

Pages: 1 13 replies

Living in a cramped condo for 9 years, my collection of rattan furniture, hula lamps, mugs and general tiki and hawaiiana was tragically ensconced in a storage unit for years. Until 2012 when my wife and I bought a modest midcentury house that, unlike anything I've ever seen in the Bay Area, had a FULL BASEMENT!

Here's the real estate flyer image of the basement room that would become the Mokupuni Lounge:

Yep, a good friend described the room as pretty creepy. But that didn't deter me. I finally had a space for me and my tiki collection to live and drink!

A note on a couple of the gems from my collection: I found the bent leg bar stools at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store in San Mateo in 2001 on my lunch hour for … wait for it … $6 a piece. I played Tetris getting them into my 92 civic back seat and made it back to work just in time.

The low mid-century chairs were sitting in the rain in Twin Peaks (SF) around 1998 when I rescued them and then refinished. My mom made the cushions with piping, etc. The Bali Hai man stoner painting was a gift from a generous fellow tiki nut.

Here are just a few snapshots of the evolution over the last couple of years.

Cheers!

Hi BayIslander & welcome to Tiki Central!

Love your bargain finds. Grab some tiki statues and you'll be good to go.

BK

Looks great! I pretty much live in my basement lounge!

S

Looks cozy! I hope if you are in Alameda you go to Forbidden Island :)

Really great space you have there!

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry. Eventually my goal is to cover the walls and the ceiling with lauhala and bamboo trim a la Bamboo Ben's work, but first I have to have the ceiling tiles tested for asbestos!

And, yeah, I make it over to Forbidden Island every chance I get! Viva Alameda!

S

On 2014-03-09 18:48, BayIslander wrote:

And, yeah, I make it over to Forbidden Island every chance I get! Viva Alameda!

Then I am sure I have sat next to ya!

Tomorrow (Monday the 10) is the Black Barrel Rum Release party starting at 7pm. Free rum tasting :)

Bayeye, You’re on your way! Looking pretty cool. Regarding your photos “a bit blurry” That comes with the territory when you’re a tikiphreak. Welcome to you.
Keep posting pix of the Mokupuni.

Sandra,
I’m anxious to hear your opinion of the “Black barrel” Wish I could be there-show YOU how to drink!
David

Great job...it looks good. Your Mom did a nice job on the cushions. I love that Mar. Bali Hai painting. See ya around and welcome to TC.

Very cool looking bar. Very envious that you've got a basement to fully kit out.

H

All is looking good...what is the story on the painting above left of the tv ? Looks vintage with palms...very interesting ...- I be nosey !

[ Edited by: hottiki 2014-03-10 08:14 ]

PP

wow, what an awesome space!! love the wood paneling too!!! A basement in California ? Unheard of !!!! lol cant wait to see more pix!!! looks like a really fun space to decorate, of course, you'll never be done!!!

Hottiki - Unfortunately, I don't have any provenance for the painting above the TV. It's unmarked but an original oil as far as I can tell. I found it at a great local consignment store (Urban Island) in Alameda. I'll take a better picture of just the painting and post it soon.

Cheers!
Jon

Very cool!! Nice space. :D

Thank you Vampiress! I passed along your compliment to my Mom on the upholstery.

Here are a couple more images:

Pages: 1 13 replies