Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mount Gay Closing

Pages: 1 9 replies

...and let the discussion of acceptable workalikes to replace Mount Gay begin!

Let's hope they get their distillery re-opened. Sounds like the equipment and the buildings are all there and just temporarily locked down. If their yeasts are proprietary, then I also hope someone is guarding the cultures to keep them alive for us.

G

Woah! It has been $12 with an extra shooter for a while at Total Beverage. It is a mainstay for me.

I've only had Mt Gay Eclipse. it's ordinary.

G

“The operations of Mount Gay Distilleries Limited have not been affected by recent events within The Rum Refinery of Mount Gay Limited." I mean, seriously, how could someone be confused by that?

If The Rum Refinery of Mount Gay Limited provided liquid to Mount Gay Distilleries Limited, I suspect some product of Mount Gay Distilleries Limited would be affected by the lack of contribution from The Rum Refinery of Mount Gay Limited. Wouldn't different stills produce rums of different character?

I agree that Mount Gay isn't particularly amazing. I would put it inbetween Cruzan and Appleton Extra in quality and character.

gabbahey

K

On 2014-03-15 13:47, thePorpoise wrote:
I've only had Mt Gay Eclipse. it's ordinary.

Nothing wrong with that - I'd still take it over Bacardi!

My local WalMart is expanding their liquor department and is now stocking Mount Gay Eclipse - that's a major step up from the Bacardi/Malibu/Captain Morgan they usually sell. But it seems odd that they would carry a rum from a defunct distillery if it is, in fact, defunct.

The other really odd thing was that the new area is outside in the garden area where temps reach 100+ in the summer. I thought wine was supposed to be stored at a more controlled temp?

On 2014-04-24 12:35, MadDogMike wrote:
My local WalMart is expanding their liquor department .... the new area is outside in the garden area where temps reach 100+ in the summer. I thought wine was supposed to be stored at a more controlled temp?

No, Boone's Farm and MD 20/20 are pretty resilient when it comes to storage requirements.

/sarc

On 2014-04-24 12:50, Chip and Andy wrote:
No, Boone's Farm and MD 20/20 are pretty resilient when it comes to storage requirements.
/sarc

I will NOT tolerate any snide comments about my namesake wine and drink of choice Mad Dog 20/20 :lol:

Pages: 1 9 replies