Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemon Hart question

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies

About 7 months ago, I posted:

On 2014-06-27 08:13, Limbo Lizard wrote:

This is quite a 'conund-rum' (heh). I have the 10 bottles of LH151, recently purchased, which should be more than I need to make it through July, 2015, when distribution resumes. That is, IF it resumes. Do we trust that they won't just mothball the brand, when the time comes? (Sort of like when a tiki restaurant closes for "remodeling", and never reopens.)
I believe I can round out to 2 cases, from various local stores, as insurance against LH151 becoming permanently unavailable. But should I tie up $650 in this one product? What if I do, and then, as AceExplorer wondered, another manufacturer introduces a Demerara-profile product that is not just competitive in quality and price, but superior?
I'd hate to have to listen to everyone, from the Bum and Martin Cate on down, rave about this magnificent new sub for LH151, better in every way,... while I'm stuck for years, trying to work through 2 cases of now second-rate LH rum!

Aaaaand, here we are! My 'nightmare scenario' has come true, with 18 bottles of red label LH151 still in my stockpile, and the reportedly-superior Hamilton 151 Demerara set to arrive in local stores, any day now.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-01-29 14:14 ]

Well if the back of the bottle is any indication on how popular it will be.. i think the Bum likes since his place is mentioned directly on the label..

In this clip from a soon-to-be posted, longer discussion with Ed Hamilton, about the new rum, 'The Bum' opines:

"It's delicious. It's a throwback to the way Guyanese rums used to taste. This is an honest product. It's made with the kind of pre-industrial care that has been lost, in the modern day..."

This video may not be suitable for some viewers. I love it!

K

On 2015-01-29 13:20, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Aaaaand, here we are! My 'nightmare scenario' has come true, with 18 bottles of red label LH151 still in my stockpile, and the reportedly-superior Hamilton 151 Demerara set to arrive in local stores, any day now.

Not that bad of a problem now - it means you can let the LH151 flow freely! Plus, you never know, you might actually prefer the taste of Lemon Hart over Ed Hamilton since you're familiar with it...or just have two Demerara 151's in the house. Nothing wrong with that!

So we should list all of the stores that have Hamilton's Demerara on hand? Make sure to call and verify before driving long distances to pick them up!

These are the places I know about in California:

Barkeeper in Silverlake

Hi - Times in Costa Mesa

I have been trying to get it down to SD at Keg & Bottle on El Cajon blvd and College, but they have yet to get it. Today though, the owner was there and he realized that I am REALLY into rum, so I think they might have it by next week.

Anyone know of other places to purchase Hamilton's Demerara rum in California?

Thanks for your effort to get it in San Diego, luna!

I guess we can maybe start thinking about releasing our hoarded Lemon Hart bottles.

On 2015-01-29 13:20, Limbo Lizard wrote:
About 7 months ago, I posted:

On 2014-06-27 08:13, Limbo Lizard wrote:

d, when the time comes? (Sort of like when a tiki restaurant closes for "remodeling", and never reopens.)
I believe I can round out to 2 cases, from various local stores, as insurance against LH151 becoming permanently unavailable. But should I tie up $650 in this one product? What if I do, and then, as AceExplorer wondered, another manufacturer introduces a Demerara-profile product that is not just competitive in quality and price, but superior?
I'd hate to have to listen to everyone, from the Bum and Martin Cate on down, rave about this magnificent new sub for LH151, better in every way,... while I'm stuck for years, trying to work through 2 cases of now second-rate LH rum!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-01-29 14:14 ]

Limbo Lizard,

I was concerned that the Lemon Hart 151 would go off line for good so I stocked up with as many bottles as my budget would allow. Today I purchased my first bottle of Hamilton 151 and made a taste comparison of the two. The Hamilton is a very smooth rum but it doesn't have the same smokey aroma that Lemon Hart has. The taste is not the same either. The Hamilton a good rum but it is not identical to the Lemon Hart. I will probably use the Hamilton in drinks but the Lemon Hart is still my preferred rum for the drinks I use it in.

The Hamilton is a good substitute but I wouldn't say it is the same or a superior rum. I don't regret buying extra bottles of Lemon Hart.

MaukaHale, yes I want to hear more honest opinions, like yours.

On 2015-01-29 22:04, MaukaHale wrote:

The Hamilton is a good substitute but I wouldn't say it is the same or a superior rum. I don't regret buying extra bottles of Lemon Hart.

In other words, Lemon Hart 151 Demerara and Hamilton 151 Demerara - separate, but equal. :)

I have unopened bottles of both Lemon Hart 80° and 151°, so I'm set to compare with Hamilton 86°, too. Just waiting for it to come to a nearby (

I'm with ATP! More reviews for us poor saps that can't even order the stuff yet!

I'm curious about the 80 proof too- how does it compare to the ED products?

T

IMHO, there is a world of difference between the yellow and red label Lemon Hart. The yellow label is a holy grail and to be cherished. The red label was a good try, but not in the same league.

Which is being compared to the Hamilton?

If it's holding up, I can only imagine it's the yellow label.

[ Edited by: Tabuzak 2015-01-30 22:58 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 251 replies