Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2014 - Beat * Tiki - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

Haven't yet completed your Tiki Oasis 14 Beat*Tiki homework? Lay your eyes on this flick: The Rebel Set.

Scenes in a beatnik bar featuring a band with bongos and the vibes? That'll do.

kevin

Pack up your travel bar and get ready for Tiki Oasis.

kevin

My brain originally saw "Witco Sales".

kevin

--
if it's not a little complicated, it's probably not worth it.
5 Minutes of Rum
http://twitter.com/heylownine

[ Edited by: heylownine 2014-08-02 16:48 ]

T
TNT posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2014 8:15 AM

B

We had some cancellations for volunteers.

Please fill out the volunteer application if you want a shift or... er... maybe you are already volunteering and want a SECOND shift just for the fun of it!

http://tinyurl.com/tikioasis-2014

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2014 7:24 PM

I'll have a few hand built bowls available in the indoor marketplace. No two are alike!

Plus a handful of custom glazed Minimalist Moai Mugs. Geo-Moais I call 'em! Also no two alike.

Stop on by :)

Bowie

F

Tiki Oasis 2015 here I come! :wink:

MR

Can't wait to see everyone this year. Here's a sneak peak at the back of one of the go-go-dancer platforms.Twelve feet tall! Going to be a fabulous time.....Like Gone!

Don't forget to stop by and say hi at the Goons From Gonesville booth!

There's a lot to look forward to with the musical line-up this year, but the chance to see ÌXTAHUELE twice is gonna be a gas.

Kevin

I just let go of our pool view room and now need someone to buy our 2 THREE day VIP bands with MUGS! Anyone out there wanna scoop these up?

With a glossary this long, it seems as though Tiki Oasis 14 is ripe for some Beatnik Byword Bingo.

http://johnpmathew.blogspot.com/2012/03/beatniks-glossary-we-spoke-this.html?m=1

kevin

B

15 rooms opened up at the CROWNE PLAZA!!! If you would like a room you will need to e-mail the hotel directly (no calls).

They will respond on Monday. [email protected]

There are also a few rooms just for SATURDAY that are open.... let them know if you want just Saturday night.

If you are set for Friday-Saturday night but just looking for a place to stay Thursday or Sunday you can make that reservation thru the website!

This year snuck up on me!!!!

I will be coming down on the train with a Bloody Mary in my hand.

Come by and see me Friday morning at the registration table.

Early arrival. Culver City to Hanalei Crown Plaza, 2 hours, no traffic.

I'll be in the 8th floor lounge for complimentary wine and cheese if anyone needs me.

B

On 2014-08-11 16:10, Wersmo Derinc wrote:
Early arrival. Culver City to Hanalei Crown Plaza, 2 hours, no traffic.

I'll be in the 8th floor lounge for complimentary wine and cheese if anyone needs me.

Holy crap !enjoy the peace & serenity !

B

On 2014-08-10 10:18, babydoe wrote:
15 rooms opened up at the CROWNE PLAZA!!! If you would like a room you will need to e-mail the hotel directly (no calls).

There are also a few rooms just for SATURDAY that are open.... let them know if you want just Saturday night.

If you are set for Friday-Saturday night but just looking for a place to stay Thursday or Sunday you can make that reservation thru the website!

Cool thanks for the tip ! I emailed but no reply (I'm so impatient) & I called but the lady in charge wasn't there .. ?

B

On 2014-08-10 10:18, babydoe wrote:

Cool thanks for the tip ! I emailed but no reply (I'm so impatient) & I called but the lady in charge wasn't there .. ?

Heading down to San Diego this Thursday. Here is last years Tiki Oasis. I tried to post photos here but I guess they are too large? 5mb or so, I would resize them if I had the time? https://www.facebook.com/ojaitimo/media_set?set=a.10201278986644058.1073741831.1453970922&type=3

Here is the video I did, part 1, hosted on You Tube with more to come after Tiki Oasis 14.
http://youtu.be/b10K4-Rk2CA

TT

Available at Eric October's booth!

Along with Martin Denny & Arthur Lyman, Gene Rains Is One of the Big Three of Exotica Conductor/Composers. Nevertheless, None of Rains’ Albums Have Come Out on CD, and His Work Has Never Been Anthologized. "Far Away Lands—The Exotic Music of Gene Rains" Includes 15 Tracks Taken from All Three of His Classic Decca Albums. 16 page book with cover reproductions of all three Gene Rains studio LPs.

Liner Notes by Randy Poe

Art and Sound Assistance by Mark Riddle a.k.a. DigiTiki, the Man Behind the Popular Podcast “The Quiet Village”

Striking Front Cover Art Features MeduSirena

Layout by Tonga Tom

Additional photography by Kari Hendler

TT

Also at Eric October's booth ...

The debut of Tiki Magazine & More #3 !!!

THURSDAY NIGHT
Emcee: King Kukulele

6pm - 9pm - Eric Musick
9pm - 12 midnight - Phast Phreddie
7:30 - 8pm - King Kukulele
8pm - 8:05pm - Polynesian Paradise Dancers
8:05 - 8:10 - von Stroheim Introduction
8:10 - 8:45 - Ixtahuele (exotica set)
8:45 - 9pm - King Kukulele
8:55 - 9pm - Polynesian Paradise Dancers
9pm - 9:45pm - Hang Ten Hangmen
9:45 - 10pm - King Kukulele
9:50- 9:55 - Polynesian Paradise Dancers
10pm - 10:30pm - Ixtahuele (surf set)
10:30 -10:40 - King Kukulele
10:40 - 11:40pm - The Kileuas Surf Set

FRIDAY DAYTIME
12-3pm (Sushi Bar) - DJ Burnie Gipson
3:00pm - 7pm (Sushi Bar) - Strike
10am - 12:00 (Poolside) - Jon Buchard
12:00 - 12:45 (Poolside) - Threesome
12:45 -3pm (Poolside) - Tanoa
2:30-2:45pm (Poolside) - Pin-Up Clothing Fashion Show
3pm - 5pm (note miss tiki oasis strut at 3pm) - Domenic Priore

FRIDAY EVENING
5:00pm - 5:15pm - Tiki Oasis Opening
5:15 - 6:00pm - Tiki Joe's Ocean
6pm - 6:10 - King Kuku
6:10 - 6:40pm - Martini Kings
6:40 - 7:00 - Miss Tiki Oasis Contest
7:00 - 7:05 - King Kuku (as band sets up)
7:05 - 7:50 - (introduced by Josh Collins) Davie Allan
7:50 - 7:55 - Chad Allen
7:55 - 8pm - King Kuku (as band sets up)
8pm - 8:45 - Ixtahuele
8:50-8:55 - The Devil-Ettes
8:55 -9pm - SET-UP band while Otto and Baby Doe do Thank yous
9pm-10pm - The Satin Chaps with Preston Epps
10pm - 2am - Late Night Dance Party - Howie Pyro

SATURDAY DAYTIME
9:00 - 12:30 noon (Car Show DJ) - Nuria
12:30 - 2pm (Car Show DJ) - Axel
11am- 11:30 and 2pm-2:30pm sets (Car Show band) - The Kilaueas
11:00AM - 5:00PM (Sushi Bar) - LUXURIA
9:30 - 11:30 (Poolside) - Andrew Sandoval
11:30 - 12:15 (Poolside) - Martini Kings
12:15 - 2:15 (Poolside) - Skipper Josh
1:15pm - 2pm (Foyer) - The Amanda's
2:15 - 4:15 (Poolside) - Lee Joseph
2:30 - 5:00 (Car Show) - DJ Astro 138
4pm (Car Show) - Prizes, Miss Tiki Oasis 2014
4:15 - 5:30 (Poolside) - Norm Cabrera

SATURDAY NIGHT
5:30 - 6pm - The Cocksman
6pm - 6:30pm - Costume Contest Kids & Couples
6:30 - 6:45 - Phast and Bulbous
6:45 - 7:15pm - Round Two Costume Contest
7:15 - 7:25 - The Devil-Ettes
7:25 - 7:35 - King Kuku while band SET-UP
7:35 - 8:15 - The Unclaimed
8:15 - 8:50 - The Lampshades
8:50 - 9pm - SET-UP/ Otto and Baby Doe Thank yous
9pm-10pm - El Vez Revue
10pm - 2am - Late Night Dance Party - Howie Pyro

SUNDAY DAYTIME
9:00 - 12:30 noon (Car Show DJ) - Jeff and Kristena
12:30 - 5pm (Car Show DJ) - Wesley
11am- 11:30 and 2pm-2:30pm sets (Car Show band) - Boss Finks
9:30 - 11:30 (Poolside) - Duke Weiss
11:30 - 1:30 (Poolside) - Skipper Josh
1:30 - 1:45 - Steady Clothing Fashion Show
1:45 - 3pm - Howie Pyro
3pm - 3:45 - Jason Lee & RipTIDES
3:45- 6pm - DJ Patrick

SUNDAY EVENING
5:30:00 - Doors open
5:30PM - 10:00PM - DJ: Mike Stax
6:30 - 6:35pm - Welcome by Otto
6:35PM - 7:15P - The Loons
7:15 - 7:30pm - DJ: Mike Stax
Intro by Otto
7:30PM - 8:30PM - Love Revisited
8:30PM - 8:45PM - Intermission
Intro by Otto
8:45PM - 10:00PM - The Standells

I'm pretty stoked for the festivities to get started!
I'll be hanging out Thursday and Friday, so I'm looking forward to meeting lots of you for the first time! After that, I'll be vending at the car show on Saturday and Sunday, from 9am-5pm, so please stop by and say hi.
Here's some of the pieces I'll be bringing.

Thanks for looking and hope to see you there!

BabyDoe- thanks for the head up, got a room
BigTikiDude- great, thanx
TikiRootsRocka- lookin good bruddah, u been busy

Jon

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-08-13 20:50 ]

Here is a small sampling of what will have available for you at the Rincon Trading Post. I have not seen the vendor map but we should be in our usual spot to the left of the main stage next to TikiToNy and Beachcomber Ceramics.

Besides the blowfish in the last pic we will have the last of our puffer fish lamps, we will have lots of vintage stuff (United Airlines Tiki, Black Velvet Paintings, mugs, and more). Come by and say Aloha! We look forward to seeing everyone.

TIKI OASIS HOTEL ROOM AVAILABLE!

I realize this a bit short notice, but I just got a call from a friend who had to give up a good room at the event hotel.

Please p.m. me and I will hook you up.

(NOT a depiction of the actual room!)

T

Aloha everybody!

I'm really excited about Oasis! Here's some pieces I finished in the nick of time...

To continue the tiki temple bowl series I started with the Stockton Isander and Mai Kai bowls... the Tiki Ti, in bowl form!

And to commemorate this year's beatnik theme, I've created a mug set of a pair of marq bongos, playing themselves:

Speaking of drums, here's a completed pic of some of the PNG drum pendants I created:

And a completed pic of the PNG croc bowl:

Here's some PNG platters:

And another cassowary bowl... this one got a little crazy big... it's 15" high, possibly the tallest ceramic piece I've made to date!

See everyone in a few hours!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2014-08-14 17:12 ]

H

What does an octopus at Tiki Oasis?
Come meet the little guy at the art show!

Support your local artist.
To finance this rum-filled Tiki Oasis weekend, I created a limited edition 18x24 print of my art show piece.
Which is available for a nominal fee of just $20 while they last…
(reply with your request here, wink.)

Here is a preview of Crazy 8!

After last night's 2 sets at the Bali Hai (wow!), let me throw out a plug for tonight's Ìxthauele set on the main stage. There are a ton of great acts playing this weekend so it can be hard to catch them all. But if you're here at Oasis and really enjoy your exotica get down there and see 'em this evening.

Kevin

A

Last night was ... ahem ... great!

Sigh! Another year with no TO for me. I'm shooting for next year, again!

I'm so missing everyone. Next year, for sure I'm there at the Oasis, come hell or high water. I'm going to drown my sorrows tonight by hitting up the Tonga Hut and Kahuna Tiki. I'm at the Oasis vicariously through the pictures that are being posted.

Did anyone take video of King Kukulele's Tiki Tot Tour when he went through the restaurant? My mom and I were at the table that became the focus of his talk for a while. While my mom loves Denny and greatly admires his way with kids, she is not as tolerant of children so the expression on her face as she was surrounded by seemingly thousands of screaming rugrats was priceless. The kids and the King were actually fine but she was expecting the worst!

Another great tiki oasis!
Congrats to Otto and Baby doe, and their hard working crew.

Ooooooooof back to reality today.

Jeff btd

I just wanted to say thank you to Otto, Baby-Doe, and everyone else involved in making Tiki Oasis the epic event, that it is. It was my first year in attendance, and know it'll be an annual event from here on out.

To everyone who stopped by my booth at the car show to say hi, just browse, or purchase one of my ceramic pieces, thank you very much. Your kind words and support mean a lot and make me want to get right back in the studio.

Even with vending on Saturday and Sunday, I got to see more live music and party with great friends, than I've gotten to in a long time. See you next year Tiki-O!

If you missed out, there's a few pictures linked below.
http://instagram.com/junglemodernceramics

Also a great slideshow in LA Weekly on-line.
http://www.laweekly.com/slideshow/lina-in-la-tiki-oasis-41783886/2/

MAHALO, MAHALO, MAHALO! To Otto and Baby Doe, EVERY vendor/artist, bartender,staff member/crew, and syposium organizer, D.j. entertainer,( thx King Kukulele)and EVERY ROOM CRAWL SPONSOR!( I'm talking to YOU Deadhead Rum, AND Purple Orchid)etc,etc,etc. For making my and Tikimouses FIRST OASIS a blast!! It was great meeting other first timers there too, 'we really dug that crazy scene'. BUT WAIT!...THERE'S MORE. This weekends 'Tiki Festival'in Long Beach. PLUS "Hi Time Chili- CookOff'(in costa mesa) on Sunday. Please come out for that..it benefits the Boys and Girls clubs.See you there! ALOHA! -----"THERE'S ALWAYS RUM JUST AROUND THE CORNER"

B

Yes another heartfelt thank you to everyone who makes tiki o possible... As usual we had an awesome time & I especially loved the dj poolside sat 12-2 pm jumpin josh from AUS quite happiness inducing --- the countdown for TIKI O 15 starts NOW !

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 8:24 PM

Back to the real world.
Pretty boring after Tiki Oasis, huh?

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 20, 2014 5:14 PM

Thanks so much to all the people who put in the work it takes to pull off such a fantastic event! I love sensory over-load and it does not get much better than this. The bands were cool with Ixtahuele being one of the best I have seen in a long time, the R.I.P. Tides are always fun and the Three Somes from Serbia were also entertaining. Special thanks go to Suze for being the first person of the event to purchase a piece from me (again), Brett from San Diego that bought "Airic" and then loaded him in a cab for the ride home, and many mucho mahalos go to Jason Lee and Michelle for taking "Juan and Atu" home and helping me with my journey back to Oregon. Looking forward to next year's space themed extravaganza!

[ Edited by: cy 2014-08-20 17:21 ]

I can't say thank you enough to Otto, Baby Doe, the Tiki Oasis volunteers, the entertainers, educators, the artists, and to my fellow attendees. Everyone puts so much into making Tiki Oasis what it is. It's pretty rare to look forward to something all year (every year) and have it exceed expectations each time.

It's time to start digging through the digital camera and let loose the highlights. :)

Mahalo,

Kevin

W

My first Oasis as well and it was SO amazing! Double ditto on the big thanks to Otto and Baby Doe, everything was so fun. Can't wait for next year.

Hairball & TikiRootsRocka, good to meet you guys! So many great people, and it was fun meeting lots of people from here and Instagram. Gotta start saving my clams for more awesome stuff next year!

This was my first experience of a great Tiki Oasis! and i met quite a few other first timers too! BIG Mahalo to Otto and Baby doe, and EVERY ONE who made this event happening, it was a blast!

And if anyone per adventure found a HTC cell phone on the brown sofa in the lobby please let me know...

Countdown to TO 15 is starting...

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 21, 2014 8:21 PM

GROG' friend find this on Facebook and send to GROG. GROG getting photo bombed by a fire eating mermaid in one of the room crawl rooms.

O

What a great Tiki Oasis! Favorite show? Mine was Midnight Bulesque off course. Best class, Violetta Beretta teaching Hawaiian dance on the lanai, El Vez was the best music, best room party "10 House",safe house in Saigon,1965. I'll try to set up a Tiki Oasis 2014 album on a hosting site and share it here since I can't upload photos to TC any longer with resizing each one. Here is the message when I try to upload
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 21888 bytes) in /home/hanford/tikicentral.com/images.php on line 94

H

On 2014-08-21 21:41, Ojaitimo wrote:
... I can't upload photos to TC any longer with resizing each one. Here is the message when I try to upload
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 21888 bytes) in /home/hanford/tikicentral.com/images.php on line 94

Check your PMs!

*** PLEASE NOTICE! ***
If you purchased a Tiki Oasis T-shirt this year, please turn it inside out and put it in a hot dryer for at least 15 minutes BEFORE WASHING. The printer discovered that one of the heating elements on the dryer may have lost power during our production run and the ink on the T-shirts may not be properly cured.
The printer that produced these shirts is a very reputable printer and does thousand of shirts everyday for companies and organizations like Star Wars, DC Comics, Minecraft, Jinx, Atari, World of Warcraft, etc. and they definitely know what they are doing. They are also the same printer that has printed the Tiki Oasis shirts every year since 2005... Just a little stroke of bad luck for us!

Thanks for heads up Gene.

Jeff btd

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies