Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can you buy this Mai Kai shirt anywhere?

Pages: 1 5 replies

R

Looking through Tiki Bob's photos from Hukilau 2003 I spotted a guy wearing the old Mai Kai server shirt. Are repros of these for sale anywhere? I've spotted a couple of the originals on Ebay, but I don't have a fortune to spend, and if I had an original, I wouldn't want to wear it...

You can see the shirt here:
http://www.shutterfly.com/os.jsp?i=67b0de21b320d8f7a441&open=1

The picture is Huk03-22.jpg and it's on the 3rd row.

Thanks, TCers!

F

My neighbor's sister owns the MaiKai, and used to be a dancer there back in the 50's/60's. She also sews and designs the dancer's outfits. I showed her my vintage MaiKai shirt and told her that she and sister should sart making them again, as they would be a hot seller.

I am going to try and hook them up with Avanti, the company that makes the nice repro silk hawaiian shirts, as theyve seen a few of mine and liked them alot- sooooo with any luck, at some time in the future you may be seeing those shirts again at the Maikai..

While at the Mai Kai, I asked 3 of the servers if there was a way to obtain a shirt, and they all politely said 'no'. I'm sure all of their shirts are tightly inventoried. Anyone trying to reproduce these without permission will most likely suffer the wrath of the Mai Kai (legal representatives).

Marian and I were at the Mai Kai last night and we asked about the shirts and some other stuff.

They still have a few of the old calendars. They are the ones from 1975, 1978 and 1990. $25 each.

They have Holden's x-eye mugs from the Hukilau. $10.

They have not received the Mai-Kai decanters from Tiki Farm yet and don't know when they will have them.

They are out of the shrunken skull mugs and are not sure whether they will ever have them again. They said Holden wouldn't do them because the hand painting is "too labor intensive".

They are expecting repro-server shirts to be available soon for $60 each.

They had a couple of BK's carvings for sale in the gift shop. Nice stuff.

You can always get lucky and find an older one at a thrift store.

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-07-28 20:48 ]

E

VERY lucky! Myself, I'll just keep an eye on teh Mai Kai site and hope I can grab one of the repros before they sell out!

:), em

Pages: 1 5 replies