Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this a bird?

Pages: 1 23 replies

T

I think this is a Witco-anyone familiar with it? I'm guessing it's some sort of bird.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Straightened images. - 2014-05-05 20:38 ]

It does look like a Witco or one of the knock off companies
maybe a Stork, Heron or Crane?

Ostrich?

What you have there is a genuine PROTO-WITCO !

Until now, I considered myself the only lucky owner of such early Witco work. Here is the very first page of the very first hacked wood art that Witco ever offered:

…and here is my piece:

…which is clearly the lady on the right of P2:

And now you own one of the P4 birds - even says so on the back!:

Congrats!

So it's a P4 bird!

For the avid Witco student: WHAT does the P4 bird remind you off, and why does it make sense for it to be a Witco?

T

Ok I think this is wrong.
But when I first saw this I thought of that cartoon bird on the Partridge Family
intro on the show, just with long legs.

Close, but no ceegarr, Skip :)

Those Witco students who have ardently studied the Witco TEXTBOOK entitled "TIki Modern" might recall the pages 174/175:

Here we learned that William Westenhaver initially wanted to be a cartoonist, and lo and behold, his first characters were birds. So the P4 bird (and on the catalog page, the P1 figures for another example) is a fine example of a DRAWING having taken the shape of a CARVING - much like some of the the later Witco carvings that seem oddly "wrong" as 3D sculptures - BECAUSE they were 2D drawings simply "retraced" with a chainsaw.

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 5, 2014 10:00 AM

Not tiki. :D

It is always so rewarding when the only reactions to one's efforts are remarks such as above.

Its not a plane.

Its not Superman or Underdog.

:wink:

On 2014-05-05 10:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is always so rewarding when the only reactions to one's efforts are remarks such as above.

I always appreciate your research and knowledge. I've missed your posts lately, but assumed you're working on a new and exciting book.

Just got done and thought I check in by posting something informative and productive - how silly of me.

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 5, 2014 11:40 AM

You did good. Informative. On topic. And entertaining. Glad to see you posting again when so many people have gone to f##kbook.

(But GROG did U-mod vote for this to be moved to Beyond Tiki.)

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-05-05 11:40 ]

THANKS Ernie, how kind. Have fun weeding through all the Witco posts for non-Tiki material, then.

G
GROG posted on Mon, May 5, 2014 12:09 PM

Actually, there weren't that many miscategorized, so it didn't take long.

I just saw a whole flock of P4 birds fly over!
Sven, glad somebody is doing some work around here!

T

I do have TIki Modern and the Book of Tiki but missed that part.
But Dam that bird looks even MORE like the Partridge Family cartoon bird.

And I like the mystery tiki question things on TC.
Keep em coming.

But then witco animals art is not as tiki as say Starwars or legos or bacon or pie.:)

But understanding how WITCO art (including a lot of Tiki art) was being conceived, by going back to its beginnings - would that maybe be of interest to the Tiki collector? Maybe…just maybe?

A
aquarj posted on Tue, May 6, 2014 1:27 AM

On 2014-05-05 09:41, bigbrotiki wrote:

Yep, I thought that was of interest. Actually that bird (P4 and the drawing) reminded me of another midcentury bird - not quite the same lineage, but maybe not that far stylistically.

By Neil Jacobe from a poster for Douglas Aircraft, 1965.

-Randy

It looks like a giraffe to me.

Well, it's interesting to ME. Although I will have to reread Tiki Modern since I failed the quick quiz.

I particularly like the modernist witco art such as 'Birds' partly shown in bigbrotiki's post above but have respect for the more primitive stuff too.

Thanks guys…it was more a rhetorical question directed towards the nitpicking ignorance of Grog, who as an animator should have displayed more insight about the broader meaning of art and its origins.

G
GROG posted on Tue, May 6, 2014 12:38 PM

On 2014-05-06 11:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
the broader meaning of art and its origins.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/evolution/9331903/Earliest-cave-art-was-abstract.html

Pages: 1 23 replies