Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

tu much

Pages: 1 14 replies

T
TU posted on Mon, May 5, 2014 3:26 AM

I started a beach scene a couple years ago. It takes up an entire wall in our spare bedroom. So far it is just a generic brown beach, blue water, blue sky thing. As soon as I can find that darn memory card I will load the pic. Does anyone have suggestions or examples of something a little better than a cheesy beach scene that you would see in a nail salon?

Thanks.
tu

[ Edited by: TU 2014-05-11 14:52 ]

Tropical garden with a path leading to a tiki at the edge of a waterfall. Wendy

A couple of Moai in the far distance. Some Tiki's in the mid-distance. A island Kane and/or wahine in the near view. Or reverse it so it looks like you are standing next to the Moai looking out towards the kane/wahine.

Some tiki torches hinting at a path to be followed into the distance.

I am assuming a day-time presentation so maybe some palm fronds along the edge as if you were sitting under them. Or Plumeria branches loaded with flowers.

The ideas are endless, really. It is ultimately up to you on what you add based on what you think can be done in your skill set. Or if you are having someone else do the painting, what can they do?

H

I found this a while back on TC.

T
TU posted on Tue, May 6, 2014 8:07 PM

Here is my first idea. Just a quick sketch that wouldn't take a lot of changing what is currently there.

Maybe you can use some red Electroluminescent tape for lava on the volcano?

T
TU posted on Thu, May 8, 2014 7:44 PM

Great idea Mike. I think I will start on the volcano. I have to wait for a couple weeks for the exchange student from Appalachia leaves on Memorial Day.

Yes they speak another language but Appalachia is not a foreign country :lol:

T
TU posted on Fri, May 9, 2014 10:27 PM

She is actually from Norway, but every time you ask her about Norway she says "I don't know" so I started the joke she isn't really from there.

T
TU posted on Sun, May 11, 2014 2:56 PM

So I changed the title so I can just add to it with whatever art I am doing. Right now working on a non-tiki graduation present for my daughter. I will post some pics as soon as it is done.

I usual lean towards the animation/comic side of art. Not really into realism or I would just take a picture.

For a beach mural inside my home, I wondered what other people thought would be the best: cartoonish or realistic.

I can do realistic, but I have a short attention span and get bored of always doing the same thing. I am going to start with a volcano, kind of like my sketch. What does everyone think about it looking photo realistic or more like a cartoon panel?

Thanks.
tu

"TU Much!" Love it.
Since I have absolutely NO 2D talent, I tend to admire realistic more. But at the end of the day it's your wall and you should do what makes you happy :)

T
TU posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2014 3:22 PM

This is what I did a couple years ago. The room is finally empty and I can think about starting it up again. Of course I have to go back to work in a couple weeks so it likely won't get finished this summer.

It's already better than anything I could do!

But my first thought was something along the lines of the Place of Refuge.

Do what makes you happy, what you want to look at! Good luck.

T
TU posted on Thu, Jul 21, 2016 7:13 AM

So...I totally forgot about this post.

An update on the mural mentioned earlier: that wall is now painted a burnt orange color and the room is now my daughters room. Funny how things change.

This is a large wall piece. The sand is from some of my favorite beaches I've been to in the last couple years.

Gosh I would have loved that wall as a young girl and now. I called myself a surfer at age 10 even though I'd never touched a board. Good to see you back to posting. Wendy

Pages: 1 14 replies