Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

velvet falernum, where is it?

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

has anybody seen this stuff in L.A. yet?.I really want to try it.

T.W.
What's goin on?
Here is the distributer in Cailfornia. Give him a call.

Mike Binkowski – Broker
Royal Brokerage House
705-2 East Bidwell St #257
Folsom, CA 95630
916-847-7600

Here is the new website:
http://www.velvetfalernum.com/

unga , you my nizzy!, much love.

P

I've found it extremely difficult to get a bottle of that elixer delivered and recently found a simple recipe for making it at home.

The recipe is from KingCocktail himself and scaled down by an e-gullet member, so it's a legit one.

Thusly:

Dale's recipe for Velvet Falernum makes 5 quarts of the stuff. I've scaled it down to make about 5 cups of the finished product - quite enough for the home bar.

Some additional notes, the flavor of the homemade Falernum is dominated by the bitter notes of lime zest. The commercial product contains lime juice, and I think more sugar, and is therefore more sweet/sour rather than bitter. When we have done tastings, people tended to prefer the more sophisticated flavor of the homemade (zesty) Velvet Falernum, so it is worth making yourself.

Rum Marinade
1 c White Rum
3 Limes worth of Zest (peel it off)
3 Whole Cloves
3 drops of Almond Extract
Simple Syrup (1:1)
4 c Superfine Sugar
4 c Water

In a small covered container place the Rum, Cloves, Almond Extract and Lime Peel. Set aside for about 18-24 hours.

In a 2 quart jar mix Sugar and Water. Shake it up every once in a while. By the time the marinade is done, the sugar will have dissolved.

Strain the Rum Marinade into the sugar water. Taste. The almond flavor should be barely detectable, but it should be there. If you can't taste it at all, add another drop or two of Almond Extract.

So there you have it.

I keep reading about ginger being a part of it but haven't found any recipe for it that contains ginger.

However - I'll go dig a little root of my homegrown spice ginger up and shave a little into my next batch of Falernum and post about this addition.

Don't want to miss out on any of those flavors that Donn Beach was slinging now do we?

Certainly - if anyone can find a place that sells and ships to Florida, please post it.

EDIT: I tried email to the Spirit of Hartford about their commercial Falernum and although was immediately replied to, came up with no leads - no help - no Falernum... sigh.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2003-07-23 16:36 ]

TwoWheeling, I was just at Beverage Warehouse today in Culver City-they have the Velvet.

Hey, don't buy all of it as I was on my bike and didn't have any money on me!

atomic, are you sure it was VELVET falernum?.I found fee bros and asked the guy about velvet ,and he looked at me like I was high!.

I found some Fee Bros in Van Nuys. I have not tried it yet. Has anyone?

Cheers,

KT

Two Whellin',

I thought it was velvet. Check in the Run section, bottom shelf-right side. I'll stop by again and check.

kreaky,fee bros is good stuff.

Thanks TWT, below is the response from one of the makers of the elusive alcohol laden falernum!

Dear Mr. McQueen

Thank you for your email.

Yes, we do make Falernum. Unfortunately we do not export it at this stage.
Furthermore, it is forbidden for us to ship alcohol from the island
unaccompanied, and Falernum contains a small amount of alcohol.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.

Kind Regards

Lucy E. Ellis
Gosling's Export (Beremuda) Ltd

M

Evidently, the elusive Velvet Falernum is getting closer. Below is an article from yesterday's SF Chronicle. It's the regular cocktail column, which is written in a pretentious & irritating style, but has a good recipe at the end. Try to ignore the ghastly suggestions made during the article:

The Professor, our cocktailian bartender, is a very happy man today. He just signed off on a liquor delivery and three bottles of a new product called Velvet Falernum were in one of the cases. Falernum is a low-alcohol liqueur made with sugarcane and flavored with lime, almonds and cloves among other things. The Boss walks through the door to find The Professor tasting a little falernum from a shot glass.

"Professor, we aren't even open yet, and you're doing shooters. What the heck are you playing at?" he explodes.

"And good morning to you, too, Boss. It's rare to see you in such fine fettle at this hour."

"Yeah, well, I'm having a problem with Regina, the waitress. I threatened to institute a dress code if she keeps wearing those outfits -- she showed up last night looking like a showgirl from Cabaret."

The Boss wanders downstairs to his office, mumbling and grumbling as he goes, and The Professor turns to greet Jen, a bartender from a nearby joint.

"Did the falernum get here?" she asks.

"Sure did. Want a shot?"

Jen takes a sip and the two cocktailians start to discuss how they are going to use it in mixed drinks. The Professor thinks it would work well as an additional ingredient in a Manhattan, and Jen wants to try mixing it with peaty single malts such as Ardbeg, Laphroig or Lagavullin.

"Dale DeGroff sent me this recipe for a drink he calls Velvet Fog," says Jen, pulling her notepad from her bag. "Want to try it?"

"Sure. I hear that he's been doing a great job training bartenders in London, but I sometimes wish he was still behind the stick at New York's Rainbow Room," says The Professor.

The two are in awe of the Velvet Fog. Not only does it have a wonderfully complex palate, the freshly grated nutmeg floating on the cocktail makes it an aromatic masterpiece. The door opens and Regina strides up to the bar, wearing a pill-box hat and looking something like an airline stewardess from the movie "Catch Me If You Can." She asks if the Boss is in the office and disappears downstairs. Jen is just finishing her cocktail when Regina reappears from the office.

"You still work here?" asks The Professor.

"Sure do. Probably for as long as I like. Did I tell you that my dad used to hang out at the bar where the Boss worked back in the '70s?"

"Don't tell me you have something on the Boss, Regina?"

"Not really. Just this picture of him tending bar."

Regina hands a photograph to The Professor who takes a glance, smiles and gives it back.

"Is the Boss wearing some hideous hippy clothes in that picture?" asks Jen.

"No," says Regina. "He isn't wearing a stitch."

The Velvet Fog

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 ounces Stolichnaya Ohranj vodka

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice

1 ounce Velvet Falernum

1 ounce fresh orange juice

1 dash Angostura bitters

Orange twist, for garnish

Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:
Shake the vodka, lime juice, Velvet Falernum, orange juice and bitters with ice and strain into a chilled Martini glass.

Hold a lighted match over the glass. Take the orange twist in your other hand and hold it by the sides using your thumb and first two fingers. Make sure the colored side of the twist points toward the drink. Hold the twist over the match and squeeze it to release its oils. The oils will ignite as they leap through the flame, caramelizing before resting atop the drink. Dust with nutmeg.

M

Velvet Falernum is now in San Francisco!!!

Just picked up three bottles the other day. Haven't made anything with it yet, but I've been drinking plenty of it- it's really tasty, strong lime and clove flavors and quite sweet.

Available at John Walker Liquors (No relation to the "American Taliban") on Sutter St. in downtown SF. He still has three bottles on the shelf, and told me he can order more anytime. They only took a day to arrive.

what do you think of it?, I did not dig it at all!.I think the tiki-ti has spoiled me for life.

KK

I believe I'll just stick with my Sazerac's...how about you, BK?

Funny how this came back up! I picked up a bottle just yesterday from Beverage Warehouse in Culver City! The guy who rang me out was telling me how he ordered the stuff for a guy who cant get enough of it. I like the suff, too. Very smooth. I can't wait to try that recipe.

P

I completely spaced on Velvet Falernum the last time I was at Bev Warehouse, but I did pick up a bottle of Fee Bros. Falernum syrup there, which I had never seen before. I have not tried it yet. Hopefully it stands up to the old sazerac falernum. I am about due for another trip to BW soon. I need more Noa Noa.

M

Once again- I have been using the fee brothers stuff and it is an ok substitute in my mind. But the Velvet tastes very good. And this is the simple fact: John D Taylor has been making Falernum in Barbados for years and years. It IS the ingredient in vintage tropical drinks. It IS what Don, Vic, Ray, and everyone else used. Falernum (WITH alcohol!) IS the authentic way to make these drinks. Not syrup from the US. The liqueur from Barbados. Period. Don't believe me? Ask Jeff Berry when you see him in the Tiki Ti next time.

I'm sorry if I sound like an asshole about this, but look: It's here. It's back in the US after being absent for years. And if we want it to keep coming to the US, WE HAVE TO BUY IT! Because, frankly, who the hell else will? And I'll bet that Mike & Mike will want to use it again now that it is available once more.

K
Klas posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 2:19 PM

On 2004-01-09 12:28, martiki wrote:

Falernum (WITH alcohol!) IS the authentic way to make these drinks. Not syrup from the US. The liqueur from Barbados. Period. Don't believe me? Ask Jeff Berry when you see him in the Tiki Ti next time.

I believe you :) Too bad I can't get the Velvet Falernum here.

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 2:40 PM

I just called Sprit of Hartford, was told that they are working on distribution in Florida and that people could get it online here:

http://binnys.com/scr/Spirits_search.cfm#srch

And of course, they don't ship to Florida.
If someone - somewhere could get a few bottles shipped to them and then forward it to me - I'll gladly slip you a twenty, plus costs, and a life-long invite to The Lagoon Lounge (â„¢AlnShelleyProductions).

Tampa -
Goods n' Services
provided by nearly no one.

H

Pablus -- I don't live far from Culver City where Atomic Cocktail saw Velvet Falernum. I'll try to head out there sometime this week, and if my quest is successful I'll bring a couple bottles with me to Florida next weekend.

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 3:47 PM

Very cool. Thanks.
I'll bring some ingredients to Daytona to mix up something vintage and vital that requires Falernum.

Last I had was Sazeracs at BK's - it was WAY more clove-flavored than the homemade shtuff I usually settle for.

In fact - next time I make it - if I do - I'll probably put 5 times the cloves in.

Thanks again.

M

Hey, at least your homemade stuff has real ingredients and rum in it. It certainly sounds good.

A
aquarj posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 4:47 PM

Sorry if this is a rehash, but didn't someone make an observation that there were two Velvet Falernums? I got one of them, I think at Beltramo's in Atherton or Menlo Park. As a mixer, it gives a weaker flavor than the syrups, which seem more concentrated. So I didn't like the Velvet as much as the syrups at first, but it can be good if you use it a little more liberally.

I remember sampling a "real" falernum at Martiki's Foggy Blotto, and that was great - sharp and strong.

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj on 2004-01-16 01:45 ]

K

On 2004-01-09 16:47, aquarj wrote:
Sorry if this is a rehash, but didn't someone make an observation that there were two Velvet Falernums? I must've got the not-so-good one. I think I got it at Beltramo's in Atherton or Menlo Park. I'll give it to anyone who wants it - the flavor in mine is pretty weak. I think they also had the Fee Bros one, but actually I like the DaVinci one better, although it's still just a syrup.

I remember sampling a "real" falernum at Martiki's Foggy Blotto, and that was great - sharp and strong.

-Randy

From what I understood, the first batch sent to the states for testing did not contain alcohol. There was much to do about it on the King Cocktail website at the time. the real stuff was to follow later.

So yes, from what I understand there are (or were) two Velvet Falernums at the outset. Now there should only be one available.

I too am so far unable to get my hands on any here in Kahiki, Ohio. So if anyone cares to ship a bottle or three I would be most grateful and pay extra for your trouble. Hell, I'd even mix ya a bottle of my grenadine (enough to last a while) as a "payment beyond the cost for your trouble" if ya like.

pele

K

Hmmm...

Binny's website sez:

"It is Binny's policy not to ship to certain states where direct shipment is prohibited and therefore, our website will not let you place an order for shipment to Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee and other states."

Normally Ohio would be right up there. An' Binny's is just two doors over in Illinois.

If they can't ship...road trip.

'course I'd have to drive through Gary. Ech.

Maybe I should take some orders from Florida folks in the near future. If I get enough to make the trip worthwhile and a few bucks for yer shipping it might be a go when the spring thaw hits. Hmmmm indeed.

It isn't like I haven't crossed state lines with a trunk full of liquor before.

pele

M

The Velvet stuff is about 11% ABV. There is also a White Falernum made by John Taylor- it's a lower quality and not imported to the states. I had a friend bring me bottles back from Barbados after a cruise he took. It's about 8%. Didn't know about a N/A batch coming through for testing. Strange. Oh, well: rejoice, my brethren, it is here.

K

Anybody read the 2 eGullet forums for rum and cocktails? A good source of information in general, and a whole mess of folks that are just as crazy about esoteric libations and proper mixing as we are. This thread here by Robert Hess (ala Drinkboy) is a good example of the level of discourse on the site:

http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=22026&hl=falernum

At any rate, they have a drink that uses falernum in it as a signature cocktail of sorts and as such, falernum info shows up a bit.

Just thought I'd offer a link to add to your favorites if you don't already chat there.

pele

P

Thanks to the generosity of Humuhumu, I have now tasted the John Taylor's Velvet Falernum.

mmmmmm, clove-y.

It is even more clove-y than the Sazerac's and is missing the fruitiness of the Sazerac's, ginger perhaps?

They are certainly close and it's great to have a bottle of the real thing. I feel an inherent need to mix something up with it very soon. Like - this evening.

H

I haven't tried any of the falernum-flavored syrups, so I don't know how they contrast, but I can say that the Velvet Falernum is yummy. As pablus mentioned, it's very clovey, but it manages to be so without being syrupy or cloying, it still has a lightness to it. It's good straight, but I bet it adds a really interesting dimension to mixed drinks. I picked up a few bottles at Beverage Warehouse in Culver City, where Atomic Cocktail had seen it. They still have plenty on the shelf.

I still say that velvet falernum for mixing traditional recipies SUCKS!!!!!. I have had the real deal in a shot glass from the tiki-ti, and only fees bros comes close PERIOD.I am not saying it is useless, but if you use it per old recipies, you will be bummed compared to fees bros .

M

TWT, I got nothing against you or your personal tastes. You may like the taste of the syrup better. But, you do realize that your post makes no sense, right?

"and only fees bros comes close PERIOD"

Please explain how Fee bros. come closer to the real thing than the real thing.

"I am not saying it is useless, but if you use it per old recipies, you will be bummed compared to fees bros"

If you use it per old recipes, then you'll be making the old recipes THE RIGHT WAY.

Hey, like I said: your preference for the syrup is your preference. Far be it from me to tell you what tastes better to you. But please don't deny the reality of the situation. I'll leave it that- everthing else I was going to say is already in my rant earlier in this thread.

P

A lot closer than the recipe for Falernum I posted previously.

Having the John Taylor's around helped make this one much better.
I'll get even better on the next batch:

zest from 3 limes
juice from small lime
24 cloves
1/8 TSP almond extract
1 cup white rum

Put all of these into a container and cover and let sit for 24 hours.

Strain out the mixture and add 2 3/4 cups of Rock Candy Syrup.

Add 3 level Tablespoons of cloves and whip into mixture.

Let sit 12 hours.
Strain and enjoy.

EDIT: I've been letting the cloves soak to get the closest taste to the Taylor's::EDIT OFF

STILL not as clove-y as the Taylor's.
But closer.
I think I'll try clove oil next time - a few drops or something.

Thanks again, Humuhumu, for the bottle of Velvet.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-02-12 21:47 ]

S
SES posted on Thu, Feb 12, 2004 5:21 PM

If you heat the cloves it will release the oil in them. So maybe heat the rum with the cloves first...

Don't use the clove "essential oil" as that is often made with the leaves of the plant and in my herb book it says not to take it internally except under professional supervision.

P

Good idea.

I wondered how they got it so infused with the flavor of clove.

I'll try adding "heated clove water" to the recipe in varying strengths next try.

Wish I could just run down to the store and buy it.... stupid, lazy Spirit of Hartford distributors... mumblemumblegrumble.

H

On 2004-01-09 12:28, martiki wrote:
Once again- I have been using the fee brothers stuff and it is an ok substitute in my mind. But the Velvet tastes very good. And this is the simple fact: John D Taylor has been making Falernum in Barbados for years and years. It IS the ingredient in vintage tropical drinks. It IS what Don, Vic, Ray, and everyone else used. Falernum (WITH alcohol!) IS the authentic way to make these drinks. Not syrup from the US. The liqueur from Barbados. Period. Don't believe me? Ask Jeff Berry when you see him in the Tiki Ti next time.

I was chatting with Jeff Berry last night, and the conversation turned to falernum. He was quite insistent on Fee Bros. being the closest you can come to the true old falernum. I asked about Velvet Falernum, and he says the flavor isn't as close to the real deal. I asked how he knew, and he says that he still has a small stash of the real deal from the old days, and he's taste tested against it. I pressed further, mentioning about Velvet being made from an old recipe, but he wouldn't budge -- he says that Fee Bros. is as close as you can get right now, and that it would be interesting to try mixing with Velvet Falernum, but that the flavor would definitely be off.

So there you go! I would still urge everyone to try playing with the Velvet Falernum, because whether it's a match to the old stuff or not, it's really yummy.

I TOLD YOU!!!,
jeff and I have both tasted the real deal, we know (as I beat my chest!). What you guys are missing by thinking that ol' john d taylor is the real deal is this, He/they made real "falernum" for years and it was great......"velvet falernum" is a different mixer with alcohol already in it along with god knows what to make a new product.Do ya get it ?

T

*On 2004-02-26 18:19, twowheelin'tiki wrote:*He/they made real "falernum" for years and it was great......"velvet falernum" is a different mixer with alcohol already in it along with god knows what to make a new product.Do ya get it ?

Not quite. The Velvet Falernum has been made for many years, as has the non-Velvet Falernum. It's only been recently reimported into the U.S.

Despite this, and the fact that I've tried Velvet in drinks and thought it was perfectly fine, I agree that if Jeff Berry and Mike Buhen say that Fee Bros. is the stuff than I gotta get me some!

M

On 2004-02-26 18:19, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
I TOLD YOU!!!,
jeff and I have both tasted the real deal, we know (as I beat my chest!). What you guys are missing by thinking that ol' john d taylor is the real deal is this, He/they made real "falernum" for years and it was great......"velvet falernum" is a different mixer with alcohol already in it along with god knows what to make a new product.Do ya get it ?

Yeah, well, I noticed that you didn't say a word until Humu piped up.

sigh

Let's go through this again:

1. John D. Taylor INVENTED Falernum. Fact. In 1890. Look it up.

2. "....velvet falernum is a different mixer with alcohol already in it along with god knows what...." Falernum has ALWAYS had alcohol in it. It is a liqueur. Other brands of real Barbados Falernum are out there, too. Here's one, made by the people who make Cockspur's Rum:

http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/bb/inniss/img/bb83.jpg

Notice how it says "11% alc./vol." on the label? Guess what that means.

1. Regarding the difference between velvet/"real" falernum: As near as I can tell, Velvet Falernum was the ORIGINAL name of Falernum. Velvet Falernum is NOT "a new product" as you say. Over time, other varieties were developed, including John D. Taylor's White Falernum in 1923. White Falernum is lighter, with a less pronounced (though still strong) clove flavor and only 8% alc/vol. Basically the cheaper stuff. In all likelyhood, this is what came to the states back in the day. It's quite good. How do I know? Because I have a bottle of it in front of me right now. Brought back from Barbados by a friend a few years ago. The "real deal", as it were. Although I think it's still a cheaper version of Velvet Falernum. Which they never stopped making.

At some point, John D. Taylor's stopped coming to the states. In it's place, the Sazerac & Co. version of Falernum was available (as mentioned in Intoxica- and you'll note that Intoxica mentions JD Taylor's as well). I don't know if it was a syrup only or a liqueur, or if it was imported from Barbados or made stateside. Eventually it stopped being made as well. In it's place are the syrups (again- not real Falernum, but Falernum-flavored syrup) from Fee Brothers and Da Vinci. Now, the original is back in the states, and people don't want it? I find this incredible. From, the Drink Boy Webite: "Just recently, a brand of Falernum from Barbados is being distributed through "Spirit of Hartford", and comes highly recommended by Dale DeGroff." Read about him here:

http://www.kingcocktail.com/bio2003.htm

http://www.kingcocktail.com/Falenm-release.htm

Yeah, sure, I suspect he's a paid endorser for the importer, but he's also a former Rainbow Room bartender and author.

So, yes, it pains me to say this, but I must repectfully disagree with Jeff Berry. Obviously, he's the king of tropical drink history, but I think he's wrong here. I may have to go it alone on this one, but I'm OK with that.

I am drinking White Falernum, Velvet Falernum, and Fee Brothers right now. The white as I mentioned is slightly tart with lime and has a strong clove flavor. The Velvet has much more pronounced clove notes, and you can taste more of the rum. The Fee brothers tastes like tart syrup with almost no discernable spice character.

Any one who ever comes over to the Grotto is welcome to taste all three and decide for themselves. Blindfolded if you like. Judge for yourselves. I'll crack my last bottle of White when you come.

And as for your statement about "god knows what" being in Velvet Falernum, TWT? Here's what the labels say:

Velvet Falernum: Lime Juice, Sugar, Almond and Clove essence, Water, White Rum.

Fee Brothers: Corn Sweeteners, Sugar, Lime Juice, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Benzoate of Soda as a preservative.

I know what I want in my drink.

Article from the spirits columnist for the SF Chronicle, also a published cocktail author (includes a tasty recipe):

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/09/18/WIGMF1OATF1.DTL

From the website of a rum distillery in Barbados:

JOHN D. TAYLOR'S VELVET FALERNUM
This famous Bajan "Gold Medal" beverage and mixer with a uniquely refreshing flavour was developed by John D. Taylor of Bridgetown in 1890. A delicious drink on its own or on the rocks, it is also an excellent base for exciting rum mixes such as "Corn 'n Oil". Add a dash of Bitters, crushed ice and shake or stir, then drink with pleasure.

From Yahoo's Barbados Travel Guide:

Typical Bajan drinks, besides Banks beer and Mount Gay rum, are falernum (a liqueur concocted of rum, sugar, lime juice, and almond essence) and mauby (a nonalcoholic drink made by boiling bitter bark and spices, straining the mixture, and sweetening it).

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-02-26 20:55 ]

H

Everyone should give it a try. Whether or not it is appropriate for using for traditional recipes is obviously up for debate, but regardless, it's very good stuff, and worthy of a place in your bar.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-02-26 21:16 ]

I stand corrected on everything except the taste in mixed drinks with proper vintage recipes. Mike B is my mentor on all things drink related, and his drinks are the best....period, so if he says fees bros is the closest to the real falernum of 1950's vintage that his pop used, thats all I need to know.

T

martiki wrote:

At some point, John D. Taylor's stopped coming to the states. In it's place, the Sazerac & Co. version of Falernum was available (as mentioned in Intoxica- and you'll note that Intoxica mentions JD Taylor's as well). I don't know if it was a syrup only or a liqueur, or if it was imported from Barbados or made stateside.

I still have a bit of the Sazerac brand stuff left. Yes, it is a syrup w/out alchohol and it was made in the U.S.

Perhaps they use Fee Bros. at the Tiki Ti because it costs much less than Velvet Falernum but it still has enough flavor for their drinks. If they only used the absolute best rums and the most expensive imported liqueurs then they would have to charge $20 a drink instead of $10.

M

Well, that's a good point Jab- the ingedients do get costly. That's why even the Tiki-Ti uses some cut rate rums, among the good stuff. Look, I love the Tiki-Ti. Dearly. I have had some of the best drinks of my life there. Hell, I opened it and closed it on the same barstool a few Wednesdays ago. And Mike is certainly a pro and a legend. But, (and I know I'm REALLY playing with fire now) you know, the dark secret that no one really wants to talk about, is that they also use frozen lime juice. Shhh! The ugly truth that dare not speak it's name! Now, I've never been able to make drinks that good with frozen stuff myself, so they definitely have some kind of killer "cheap ingredient mojo" working for them. But just imagine if you took their legendary mixology skills & menu, and then added fresh lime, premium rums, top shelf liqueurs and mixers, and (may I humbly suggest) real falernum...you'd have drinks that no Vic's, Mai Kai, or any mortal human could touch. But, of course, we would all experience that uncomfortable burning sensation in our wallets as the damn drinks would be $20 bucks a pop! You know that sensation- you get it after a trip to a Vic's. As it stands, I'll happily belly up to the Tiki Ti bar any time just to watch them work and sip in silent reverence.

Since I'm up north, I'll just have to settle for as good as a human can get: I'll go home tonight, make the Puka Punch recipe from the Tiki Ti in Intoxica with all top shelf ingredients and fresh juice, and touch the hand of God.

Old Tiki-Ti favorite: Ooga Booga

New Tiki-Ti favorite: 151 Rum Swizzle (Thanks Iuka for the tip!)

Here's hoping the plumbing gets fixed soon!

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-02-27 11:54 ]

T

Jeff Berry's books are the best tropical drink books out there, and started me into making real topical drinks at home, but even some of those recipes can be improved. Berry says it's fine to use frozen OJ but I always use fresh because here in California oranges are cheap and plentiful and the frozen stuff tastes nasty to me. I'm sure if I lived in colder climates I would use the frozen. The same can be said for fresh grapefruit juice. I even tried to squeeze pineapple juice by hand once! It didn't work too well so I still use canned.

At the Mai Kai they still use excusively fresh juices (including pineapple) and import special limes. How they do it and keep the price around $10 is beyond me.

Unga Bunga like Ooga Booga too!

The tiki-ti does not use fees bros falernum.......yet. They still have the original stuff from the day that aint john taylors etc-etc.I stated that fees bros was the closest thing he has tasted to the original stuff they have been using for years.

K

Isn't the real question: "What were they using for falernum at that particular place and at that particular time when the drink containing it was first mixed and served?"

That may be an impossible question to answer, but is the only real solution to this argument if there is one.

It stands to reason that if a drink was created using Sazerac's syrup, then it should be made with the closest modern equivalent. The same holds true for Velvet Falernum.

I'd assume it safe to suppose that different drinks from different eras likely used a different falernum. In order to truly be this purist about it, we'd have to track down that info.

Given the relative impossibility of that task, can we just mix them with both, choose which one we prefer, and then stick with that? It's the only way to put this whole thing to bed.

As an aside, any of Beachbum's own recipes would be wrong if mixed with Velvet brand, regardless of it's historic authenticity, as Berry used a syrup to create them.

[ Edited by: kukuahu on 2005-05-26 14:13 ]

well done pele!, when I go to the ti after their vacation, I will find out the name of the "real" stuff they use.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies