Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

decanters

Pages: 1 7 replies

what is better ceramic or glass decanters? I had read where leaving alcohol in ceramic decanters destroys the inside. Is that true?

I've not personally heard that, but I would say glass because things like improper glaze, crazing, etc. could compromise the interior of the decanter and create situations that you wouldn't find in a glass or crystal decanter.

I did a thread about if decanters were safe to reuse a while back ( http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45667&forum=1&hilite=Decanter ) - I just use regular bottles for my syrups

Great Info! Thanks! I had already emptied the pisco. dumped it down the drain. did not like it but cleaned it. I have the shag decanter Japanese set with two tiny shot glasses but I was thinking of buying glass decanters. I was looking at bar sites to find some interesting decanters. I wish they made tiki glass shaped decanters.

I'd Rather Have a Bottle in Front of Me, Than a Frontal Lobotomy
MYMO

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2014-05-15 23:31 ]

K

I think glass is nicer anyway. I like to see what's inside and feel fancy. That being said, I've actually been selling my decanters because they take up too much space in my bar.

Decanters are nice if you're drinking a sipping liquor, like brandy or cognac. Classier than pouring straight out of the bottle. But if you're just using it to decant your mixes, it seems a little excessive. Unless it's a Mai Tai Joe decanter—then you'd be a fool not to use it.

Whoa, baby, I just looked up prices on the Mai Tai Joe decanter and mug. Yikes! It's definitely a classic.

Yeah, you should never use a decanter for anything lower than 80 proof or viscous, the pour is not right and it would possibly be a bacterial risk.

Pages: 1 7 replies