Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Making syrups with distilled water

Pages: 1 2 replies

ET

I have noticed many of the books mention various homemade syrups (sugar, cinnamon, etc) will keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks or so. I am making them with distilled water and find they last many Months in the fridge no problem...do not notice any spoiling at all. Recommended ?

Distilled water couldn't hurt. How much syrup do you make in a batch? Between cocktails and using the simple and cinnamon syrups for lemonade, mine usually last less than a week. I make a cup of each, keep them in the fridge in empty beer bottles, using Niquil measuring cups as makeshift caps (handy, I just use them to measure what I need for a glass, rinse and replace it on top. I've heard that I could store them outside the fridge since I go through it so fast, but since I can't close them up airtight, I'm afraid I might get ants.

howlinowl

The advice would still be the same as your tap water should still have no pathogens or bacteria in it, plus you boil it (unless you're doing the cold method).

The only way to extend the shelf-life would be to add alcohol to the finished product, so if you want to pour some vodka in that can help.

Pages: 1 2 replies