Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Egyptian Theatre Hollywood, CA June 28th Tiki Night: Plastic Paradise

Pages: 1 14 replies

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/10th-annual-tiki-night-%E2%80%9Cplastic-paradise-a-swingin-trip-through-americas-polynesian-obsessio

10th Annual Tiki Night: “Plastic Paradise: A Swingin' Trip Through America's Polynesian Obsession”
5:00PM - King Kukulele & The Friki Tikis and the Polynesian Paradise Dancers will perform in the Egyptian Theatre Courtyard alongside vendors and a no-host bar.
7:30PM - Tiki Clip Show (30 min.), followed by the film:
“Plastic Paradise: A Swingin' Trip Through America's Polynesian Obsession”
2013, Common Machine, 54 min. Dir. Brett O’Bourke

The return of American GIs from the Pacific helped launch a postwar Polynesian craze that included candy-colored drinks, crazy Hawaiian shirts, exotic instrumental music and nonstop parties. Today the “tiki” scene (named after the large, wooden sculptures found throughout Polynesia) endures among a new generation, including musician Denny “King Kukulele” Moynahan, cocktail anthropologist Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, tiki historian Sven Kirsten and others, who weigh in on the little-known subculture in this fascinating documentary.
Discussion following the film with filmmakers Gaspar González and Brett O’Bourke.
Tickets are $11.00.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2014-05-27 11:42 ]

B

SO COOL ! getting my ticket now.. my boyfriend has to work so i'll be ridin solo

Cool, but I wish there was an actual movie too.

Jeff btd

B

On 2014-06-02 15:43, bigtikidude wrote:
Cool, but I wish there was an actual movie too.

Jeff btd

but there is an hour long movie playing at 8 ?

B

Jeff, While it's too late for this year, how about we all list suggestions for future shows? I'll start - Not Polynesia but a Tiki/Yma Sumac vibe is "Sabaka". It's a not-so-great movie with a good cast including Boris Karloff, Reginald Denny, Victory Jory and June Foray as the High Priestess of Sabaka. June is still with us and active at age 96!

Belinda, the documentary Plastic Paradise is playing. It was shown on our local PBS stations earlier this year.

B

I sometimes help with suggestions on what movies to show, but it is up to them to make the final decision. I would like to see the Tiki clips they are showing and it should be a good time.

B

On 2014-06-04 17:30, tikilongbeach wrote:
Belinda, the documentary Plastic Paradise is playing. It was shown on our local PBS stations earlier this year.

Oh so I'm going to pay for something I coulda watched for free ???

It is on a theater sized screen, plus vendors, King Kukulele, dancers, and more! Worth it.

B

On 2014-06-13 11:40, bongofury wrote:
It is on a theater sized screen, plus vendors, King Kukulele, dancers, and more! Worth it.

Yes... & w/ tiki drinks ..

this sat.

H

looking forward o seeing some of you there in the courtyard tomorrow.
Hilda

T

Aloha everybody!

Very excited about the event tomorrow night! I've been superbusy lately, but I finally had a chance to post some of the stuff I'll have available!

I've been inspired by the location, and I've created a few black paper drawings to commemorate the storied past of the Egyptian Theatre.

Speaking of black paper drawings, I've just completed an expanded edition of my art book, Tiki By Moonlight. This version is paperback, with nine new pages of all new drawings!

I'll also have some new ceramics... and all ceramics will be priced to move to make room for the next wave of pieces I'll be creating throughout the summer!

Plus all the rest of my regular tiki wackiness!

And you can pick up the latest issue of Tiki Magazine & More at my table!

See everyone tomorry!

Good times last night.
Jeff btd

Pages: 1 14 replies