Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Counterfeit Munktiki Skull Monkey?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Update:

Ebay has issued a full refund for the mug (the confirmation from Munktiki that it was a counterfeit made it a slam dunk in their opinion) and, per the deal, the mug has been destroyed. I felt a little bad about destroying a tiki mug but once I remembered the manufacturer was stealing from Munktiki the guilt quickly went away. Thank you to everyone that responded to my post.

Hello all. I picked up a mug advertised as a Munktiki Skull Monkey off ebay a couple weeks ago from a Canadian seller and, when it arrived, it seemed a bit too different from my other Skull Monkey. It's a little shorter, there are no markings of any sort on the back or the bottom of the mug (even the skull monkey is missing from the back), and the glaze seems different enough that I remembered mention of some counterfeit Munktiki designs floating around in Canada. I don't remember Munktiki doing an open edition of the Skull Monkey in white with black interior glaze. Did I manage to pick up one of those counterfeits? What do you think (and thank you for your advice)? I've included some pictures of my original mug and the one I just picked up side by side.

[ Edited by: Miss Monk-ii 2014-06-25 08:19 ]

Yup, That's a counterfeit one from China
you should inform the seller ASAP, how much did they get you for?

It has things in all the right places, but it is noticeably smaller. I wonder if someone made a clay cast of the original then applied more clay to cover up the logo?

Might want to contact muntiki about that one since they could at least send an alert out to their fans to watch out for fakes.

Unfortunately it's happened to Munktiki before. There is another TC thread on it. I think it's been brought up on their Facebook page too.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21499&forum=12

On 2014-06-12 19:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Yup, That's a counterfeit one from China
you should inform the seller ASAP, how much did they get you for?

They got me for a little under $70. I've informed the seller and we're trying to work things out.

On 2014-06-12 19:52, wizzard419 wrote:
It has things in all the right places, but it is noticeably smaller. I wonder if someone made a clay cast of the original then applied more clay to cover up the logo?

Might want to contact muntiki about that one since they could at least send an alert out to their fans to watch out for fakes.

I've contacted Munktiki and it has been confirmed as a fake. Thanks for the advice.

Pages: 1 5 replies