Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Danish Modern inspired stereo cabinet with lighted puffer fish

Pages: 1 24 replies

Most of the furniture in my basement rec room is vintage 60s. It's not so much a tiki bar as a tiki home theater. One notable exception was the Target bookshelf that served as an equipment rack, and it had been bugging me for some time. Danish modern stereo and record cabinets are beautiful, but they tend to be low and wide, and space is limited.There were features that I liked in various bookshelves and record cabinet pictures online: beveled front frame, indented H leg base, tambour doors.

My first thought was the brass capped straight legs, but then I saw a record cabinet with the H base, and fell in love with it.

Not sure where this display area idea came from, aka 'the dry aquarium', but I thought of it, and stuck with it.

I drew some sketches, figured some dimensions, even did a quick 3d model and tested the leg base idea in pine, then set it aside for almost 2 years.

About 6 months ago, I got around to getting started. The challenge: combine several distinctive features from those inspirations, and make a cabinet that suits my space.

Lots of carpentry firsts for me in this project: dado joins, dowel joins, tambour, routing, and freehand jigsaw cuts, plus stain and clearcoat.

The tambour doors for each shelf are made from half-round red oak dowels, glued to a cut up pair of bluejeans. Everything I know about making tambour, I learned from Sandor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEla47R_m9k (I think the Nosferatu fingernails are optional.)

The leg base, front frame, and shelf fronts are red oak, cut from one piece of S2S lumber from a local hardwood lumber yard. The rest of the case is 3/4 birch plywood from Lowe's. No screws or fasteners other than glue and dowels were used in the case itself, just in attaching the rope light and the pull handles. The pull handles are cut down wood ring mandrels. None of them match.

The tambour door tracks had to line up from shelf to shelf as closely as possible, so they would open and close smoothly. The template for the door tracks was a big nylon cutting board purchased on Amazon.

The bottom shelf has a taller front and a false bottom with space to run cords for the puffer fish, which are on a dimmer circuit, along with the string lights around the perimeter of the room.

The doors have front and back stops, so they can't open too wide, and can't close past the centerline.

I've got a thing for colored lights. Naturally, in addition to the puffer fish lights, the waves design in the lower display part of the case, ended up with LED rope lighting. You can get RGB rope lights from China by way of ebay, that come with a controller and a remote control.

This allows you to set different custom colors, or pick a large number of preset colors, and fade from color to color.

Removable inner panels conceal the back of the tambour doors. The RGB rope light also runs around the back of the cabinet.

(Sorry about this huge image)

Equipment: My table saw is a portable job site saw on a DIY stand between two picnic tables. This allows me to rip full size sheets of plywood with no problem. All cuts were done with the table saw or a jigsaw. Sanding was done by hand or with an electric mouse sander. Doweling jigs were a must, one for end joins, and one for corners. Cordless drill. 8 corner clamps, 5 bar clamps, and a couple of wood clamps. Lots of Titebond II wood glue.

Challenges: Almost every large piece of wood in this project warped to some degree after cutting, sides and front frame especially. I got most of it out through clamping, but rest assured that it doesn't suffer from being excessively straight or square in any dimension. Call it Danish Modern Primitive.

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's stable, sturdy, maintains the tiki asthetic, and keeps the tech gear hidden within reach.

[ Edited by: Greg_D_R 2014-06-13 11:49 ]

Amazing!

T

Beautiful work- thanks for posting. I really do appreciate furniture construction here in the "Other Crafts" thread, so much more appropriate than in the Home Bar thread (to me, at least).

Great construction, look forward to seeing more furniture builds...

Damn cool, very nice job!

G

Thank you all very much. It's good to be appreciated by the tiki people. Hopefully it shows what you can do with less skill than stubbornness.

That is very cool! Thank you for sharing.

H

Gorgeous! Beautiful work, great concept, and well executed. Thank you for sharing it!

super neat! plus I have furniture clamp envy.

G

On 2014-06-13 14:23, Sophista-tiki wrote:
super neat! plus I have furniture clamp envy.

LOL, I am thinking of Craigslisting all these bastards. The corner clamps are great, but they take up a lot of space, and I'm not sure when I'll do anything this elaborate again.

Now that's kool

Very, very cool!

H

Just beautiful.

T

Great job on this Greg!!
Like the way you did the wood on the bottom.
Looks like that old Walltex I think they called it, you know
the stuff they used on Heywood-Wakefield.

I'm a clamp hound, you can never have too many.

G

On 2014-06-14 09:36, tikiskip wrote:
Great job on this Greg!!
Like the way you did the wood on the bottom.
Looks like that old Walltex I think they called it, you know
the stuff they used on Heywood-Wakefield.

I'm a clamp hound, you can never have too many.

Thanks man! Getting praise from the craftsmen on Tikiroom means a lot. Funny thing about that texture, it's actually individual dowels glued and clamped to the surface. Total pain in the butt, but it matches the tambour, so in my mind I had to do it, instead of just finding a textured material.

"it's actually individual dowels glued and clamped to the surface. Total pain in the butt, but it matches the tambour, so in my mind I had to do it, instead of just finding a textured material"

Well that's not cheap.

Well that's not cheap.

Nope! :D Nor is it sensible. These are things I am rarely accused of.

G

One more image, you know what time it is:

I hadn't watched anything in my theater for a good 2 months while I assembled and finished the cabinet on the spot, since I don't really have a shop space inside. I can tell you, that was a damn good drink!

On 2014-06-15 09:59, Greg_D_R wrote:
One more image, you know what time it is:

I hadn't watched anything in my theater for a good 2 months while I assembled and finished the cabinet on the spot, since I don't really have a shop space inside. I can tell you, that was a damn good drink!

Very impressive. Really enjoyed seeing your sketches and progress pics. Very nice concept / design and even nicer finished product. Cheers brother!

G

Very impressive. Really enjoyed seeing your sketches and progress pics. Very nice concept / design and even nicer finished product. Cheers brother!

Aloha quickiki! Stockton, CA, home of little Filipino men who used to beat me with wooden knives and rattan sticks! Ah, the memories :D

Wow, that is beautiful! And such a great idea. I need a dry puffer fish aquarium!

PP

Holy Cow Batman !!!!!! that's incredible!!!!!!

G

Thanks again, everyone. I've had requests for plans, and suggestions that I should build and sell them, but it's probably too specific to a particular size of amp and number of components, and everyone's system would be different. I'm proud of it, but I'm also a little surprised at how well received it's been, by the tiki people and the home theater people. I wonder if it's the retro look, or the light display that's hitting the sweet spot?

This is so cool Greg. Wendy

G

On 2015-01-20 11:19, danlovestikis wrote:
This is so cool Greg. Wendy

Thanks! It's time I started making more of my own stuff :wink:

There is so much joy in accomplishing something beautiful. I never thought I'd say that about puffer fish but you nailed it.
Wendy

Pages: 1 24 replies