Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

4h of July - Brad Tiki Shark Parker - Damian Fulton - Insect Surfers at La Luz de Jesus Gallery

Pages: 1 9 replies

D
DJLee posted on Sun, Jun 15, 2014 8:36 PM

In Southern California for 4th of July? Don't miss this!
A Polynesian Pop, Surf, and BMX 4th of July Art Opening and BBQ Celebration at La Luz de Jesus Gallery!

Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker "Red Tiki Lounge" & Damian Fulton "RAD!"
July 4 - 27, 2014
Opening Reception: Friday, July 4th, 8-11 PM
Live Performance by THE INSECT SURFERS at 9 PM
Rum drinks courtesy of SAMMY'S BEACH BAR RUM!
FULL SHOW PREVIEW UP SOON, STAY TUNED!

La Luz de Jesus Gallery
Soap Plant / Wacko
4633 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
http://www.laluzdejesus.com

below flyer is the press release text.... hope to see many TC'ers on the 4th!

July 4 - 27, 2014

Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker "Red Tiki Lounge"
Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker paints "Low Brow Art" about Modern Tiki Culture. He does so from the most remote land mass in the world: the Big Island of Hawaii. "When you live on an active volcano, you learn to make sacrifices." The artist doesn't mean throwing virgins into the volcano, but rather his move from the fast lane of Hollywood to the slower pace of the small seaside town of Kailua-Kona. In doing so, Brad quickly became the king of Polynesian Pop Art, and his work is routinely selected by Hawaiian officials to represent Tiki culture to the world. His art is a staple in the surf world, where he's partnered with Body Glove, and he's had sell-out exhibitions in Los Angeles, Honolulu, and Dubai.

Parker's Red Tiki Lounge combines the paint stroke of old Flemish masters with counter culture subject matter from a childhood of adoring comic books, cartoons, and Universal Monster movies. This show features skate decks, beach towels, pencil sketches and paintings, and we'll be celebrating July 4th with BBQ and a live band. Brad will be present at his opening reception to sign cards, calendars and prints.

Damian Fulton "Rad!"
July 4 - 27, 2014

Before the X Games, GoPro videos, and energy drinks, a kid with an over-productive Rad gland virtually invented extreme sports. 35 years ago Radical Rick first raged through the pages of BMX Plus! Magazine and launched the career of Artist Damian Fulton. Since then Radical Rick has appeared in over 150 comic episodes, on T-shirts and posters, more than a few tattooed body parts, and continues to influence artists today.

To commemorate Radical Rick's 35th anniversary,"Rad!" brings to La Luz de Jesus gallery the largest collection of original Radical Rick artwork ever assembled, featuring original paintings, magazine covers, and beautiful water colored story pages from the artist's personal collection. "Rad!" also includes new, never seen before artwork painted just for this exhibit.

Influenced by Zap Comix, motorcycles and hot rods, horror movies, classic cartoons, and a dose of Mad Magazine, Damian Fulton still paints today and his "Urban Surf" art is exhibited around the world.

JOIN US ON FOR THE OPENING ON JULY 4TH FEATURING:
BACKYARD BBQ
Live performance by THE INSECT SURFERS at 9 PM
The planet's longest running modern surf band!
Rum drinks courtesy of SAMMY'S BEACH BAR RUM!

"DJ Lee"
http://www.reverberationsmedia.com
http://www.dionysusrecords.com
join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays 3-5 PM Pacific!

[ Edited by: DJLee 2014-06-15 20:37 ]

Sounds like fun, I'll be there.
I haven't been to tiki to in a long time,
wonder if they'll be open then?

Jeff btd

Tiki Ti was open on the 4th of July a couple years ago, so I'm hoping yes!

I plan on being there. Tiki-Ti will be open according to their calender. Just check back on their website when date is close just to be sure.

thanks for the heads up/reminder.

if it is open, I will probably go early.
not a fan of when that place is full, especially in summer.

Jeff(btd)

D
DJLee posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2014 10:05 AM

Hi all -
the preview for the show is up!

Here's the link:
http://laluzdejesus.com.s183386.gridserver.com/brad-parker-damian-fulton/#more-2859

And here's the Facebook invite link
https://www.facebook.com/events/1468900093351753/

Please join the Facebook invite and share with your friends on your page!

Hope to see some of you on Friday!

Fri. Night!

YEEEEEAH!
Toe and Doug and i will be there to see Bradley!
Will YOU?!?!?!?

Great to see everyone yesterday. Had a blast at the Tiki-Ti. Drinking with the regulars and especially Ken Ruzic and his lady Aimee. Brad! Great show as always and your art RAWKS!!!!!!!!! Now time to recuperate. :D

I had to work on Friday so I missed tiki ti,
But made it to the event.
Was surprised there was a fair turn out considering it was a holiday.

Great art n tunes.
Good times!
Jeff btd

Pages: 1 9 replies