Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 6-18-14 Honoring Richard Rodgers

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: June 18, 2014

On this week’s show we celebrate the regalistic and royal career of Richard Rodgers, born in Queens, New York, on June 28, 1902, and justly famed for his creative collaborations with lyricists Lorenz Hart and Oscar Hammerstein II.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “It's Easy to Remember (But So Hard to Forget)” by Rodgers & Hart/for the 1935 Bing Crosby movie: Mississippi with backing vocals by the Rhythmettes & Three Shades of Blue, drawn from the Binglish Box Set: Easy to Remember.

2. “Have You Met Miss Jones?” inked by Rodgers & Hart for the 1937 Broadway musical: I'd Rather Be Right, taken from the master musician’s 1957 adventitious debut album: How About Uke – Lyle Ritz Plays Jazz Ukulele, ably supported by Red Mitchell on Bass and Gene Estes on Drums.

3. “Willing and Eager,” with words and music by Richard Rodgers following the death of Oscar Hammerstein for the 1962 movie version of State Fair. This version was recorded in 1963 by Les Baxter for his lingering LP: The Academy Award Winners.

4. “Hello Young Lovers,” composed by Rodgers & Hammerstein for the 1951 musical: The King and I, sung in 1960 by Mel Torme on his authoritative album: Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley, arranged by Marty Paich and featuring Art Pepper on Alto Sax.

5. “Bali Ha’i” from the renowned Rodgers & Hammerstein 1949 musical: South Pacific, from the 1957 Mono LP: Driftwood and Dreams by Henry Mancini, including Dominic Frontiere on Accordion, Laurindo Almeida on Electric Guitar and Robert Bain on early Electric Bass.

6. “It Might as Well Be Spring” by Rodgers & Hammerstein for the 1945 movie version of State Fair, taken from arranger Bob Thompson’s 1958 recording: Just for Kicks, featuring Pete Candoli on Trumpet.

7. “My Funny Valentine,” the Rodgers & Hart song written for the 1937 Broadway musical: Babes in Arms, found on the 1959 arborial album: Leis of Jazz, with leader Arthur Lyman on Vibes and Alan Soares on Piano, John Kramer on Bass and Harold Chang on Drums, recorded at the Henry J. Kaiser Aluminum Geodesic Dome in Honolulu.

8. The Rodgers & Hart tune, “The Lady Is a Tramp” written for the 1937 Broadway musical: Babes in Arms, performed on ukulele in 2005 by then 98-year-old Bill Tapia on his superlative CD: Livin’ It Live, featuring Lyle Ritz on Ukulele Duet & Solo, with Ruth Davies on Bass.

9. “My Romance,” composed by Rodgers & Hart for the 1935 Broadway musical: Jumbo, sung by Joy Bryan accompanied by Wynton Kelly on Piano, Al Viola on Electric Guitar, Leroy Vinnegar on Bass and Frank Butler on Drums, taken from her 1961 lovely LP: Make the Man Love Me.

10. The 1934 song by Rodgers & Hart, “Blue Moon,” drawn from the 1955 augmented album: Clifford Brown With Strings, with Mr. Brown on Trumpet, Richie Powell on Piano, Barry Galbraith on Electric Guitar, George Morrow on Bass and Max Roach on Drums, arranged and conducted by Neil Hefti.

11. “Thou Swell,” written by Rodgers & Hart for the 1927 Broadway Musical: A Connecticut Yankee, sung here by Blossom Dearie on her 1956 self-titled U.S. debut LP with support from Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar; Ray Brown on Bass and Jo Jones on Drums.

12. “You Mustn't Kick It Around” from the Rodgers & Hart 1940 musical: Pal Joey, sung by Mark Murphy on his 1956 LP: Meet Mark Murphy.

13. “I Could Write a Book,” also from Pal Joey, and featured on the 1957 bountiful Box Set: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Rodgers and Hart Songbook, with the Orchestra and Strings Arranged & Conducted by Buddy Bregman, featuring Paul Smith on Piano.

14. “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered” also from the 1940 musical: Pal Joey, and featured on the bodacious box set: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story, with Mr. Davis accompanied only by Mundell Lowe on Electric Guitar.

15. “Loads of Love,” composed by Richard Rodgers for his 1962 musical: No Strings, recorded in 1963 by the Art Farmer Quartet Featuring Jim Hall on the interactivated album: Interaction, with Art Farmer on Flugelhorn, Jim Hall on Electric Guitar, Steve Swallow on Bass and Walter Perkins on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies