Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Three Days in California, where do I NEED to go?

Pages: 1 11 replies

This week, my husband and I are flying out to the west coast for a friend's wedding. The wedding is Thursday in La Jolla, so obviously we'll be visiting the Bali Hai. But where else should we go?
Our flights are in and out of San Diego, however we are willing to drive up to 2.5 hours in any direction for a good tiki experience. Any recommendations are welcomed!

mahalo!

If you willing to drive north 1 Hour & 45 minutes to Orange county (not counting traffic)
you can enjoy Trader Sam's in the Disney Park

1150 Magic Way, Disneyland Hotel, Anaheim, CA 92802

And Don The Beachcomber in Seal Beach (now a part of Huntington Beach)
which is a 25 to 30 minute drive from Disneyland

16278 Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92649

You will see two of the biggest Tiki spots here, L.A. is an additional 45 minute drive
if the traffic behaves you have the Tiki Ti, Tonga Hut & Tiki No to visit.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-06-23 11:41 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2014 11:45 AM

If Oceanic Arts in Whittier isn't too far of a drive for you, you would really enjoy that.

Tiki Ti is where I would go if I could choose one bar in the world.

ATP gave a great list of spots to hit. Oceanic Arts is a great spot for anything tiki, as Grog suggested, but it is not a bar.

If you are staying in San Diego, Bali Hai is the best. There is a liquor store on the way called Trader Morts. They have some mugs and lots of rum. Cat Eye Club serves some tiki drinks and High Dive and Bar Pink have Tiki Tuesdays. There is also Freaky Boutiki in Mission Beach that has mugs and art too.

That is about it for tiki in San Diego. You can PM me if you need any other bar suggestions or food suggestions in San Diego. Have fun! I would say I would meet up with you, but I will be in Vegas for the weekend.

I second the vote for Trader Sam's. Disneyland, too, if you can swing it.

T
  1. Going to LA the Tiki-Ti great drinks, people & atmosphere.

2. Tonga Hut in North Hollywood great place, Try a Bermuda Dunes.

3. On the way up to LA, Oceanic Arts one of a kind place for Tiki décor. They can ship!

4. Don the Beachcomber the Dagger Bar, solid drinks & Tiki décor.

Have FUN

Just a 2 mile drive up the coast from Don the Beachcomber is the Picture Show Gallery in Seal Beach. They carry Tiki Farm mugs and a lot of tiki art.

Picture Show Gallery
231 Main St, Seal Beach, CA 90740
(562) 598-1600

Thanks for all the tips.

We hit Bali Hai and Trader Mort's last night. Today we are heading north to Don the Beachcomber and Trader Sam's. And who knows where the wind will take us from there.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 28, 2014 10:51 AM

Sunday is the regular Tiki day at the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood when most of the tiki "regulars" show up. Opens at 4pm.

Big HulaGirls show at Don's tonight!

F

Great little mini thread... I will be tagging along with a friend thats going to a wedding and will be around 3-7th of Sept., cannot wait.

F

Bumping this thread just in case there is something else I can squeeze in... Flying in on Wednesday to LAX asides a few other touristy type things I want to check out... The Tiki Ti on the way up to the Tonga Hut are on my lists of places to stop.

I'm curious if there are any lost places so to speak in between ie old motor courts, apts, motels with old neon etc with a tiki theme to point my camera along the way.

Thanks!

Pages: 1 11 replies