Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

New Mai-Kai shirt fresh from the Hukilau!

Pages: 1 15 replies

X

Hey there tikiphiles. Just a couple weeks post Hukilau now, and I hope those who went had a blast. I ended up purchasing two new waiter shirts while in attendance. Only wish to keep the one. The size is XL and has never been washed, worn, ripped, or sweated in. These shirts apparently have the new wood carving buttons and were a bit more expensive than my previous purchases.

http://i.imgur.com/FbAVmdp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7J8npwG.jpg

I won't disclose what I paid for the shirts each, but I'm asking for $110 shipped in the form of gifted paypal to avoid taxation. I will tell you that I am not turning a profit of more than $8 to cover shipping costs though. Just thought those who didn't go might want a chance to snag one of these. Thanks for looking!

X

bump

X

^

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2014 8:57 AM

On 2014-06-23 14:59, Xanatos wrote:

These shirts apparently have the new wood carving buttons and were a bit more expensive than my previous purchases.

Damn! These really DID go up in price! You were asking $60 shipped for the ones you sold 8 months ago.

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-06-29 09:00 ]

X

On 2014-06-29 08:57, GROG wrote:

On 2014-06-23 14:59, Xanatos wrote:

These shirts apparently have the new wood carving buttons and were a bit more expensive than my previous purchases.

Damn! These really DID go up in price! You were asking $60 shipped for the ones you sold 8 months ago.

[ Edited by: GROG 2014-06-29 09:00 ]

Yeah, there was the issue with those being a couple years old, faded, washed, worn, sweated in, had holes, missing buttons, patches. Those who purchased them were happy as far as I know, but this one is literally fresh off the rack. Never worn. When I bought them, I was surprised too, but the quality is much higher, the buttons are one of a kind hand carved, and the company that printed these is apparently pretty high-end. I guess that's enough to warrant the $40 price jump.

These shirts don't have collars if I am seeing the photo correctly....

X

On 2014-06-29 21:43, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
These shirts don't have collars if I am seeing the photo correctly....

Same cut collar as last print. Side by side, the only difference is the thread thickness and the buttons in comparison to the old ones.

So a Mandarin Collar, then.

Great looking shirt ,however don't like collar .Would not buy it for that simple reason alone.Who puts mandarin collars on aloha shirts ...I guess Mai Kai .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2014-06-30 12:04 ]

On 2014-06-30 11:58, 1961surf wrote:
Who puts mandarin collars on aloha shirts ...I guess Mai Kai .

They were designed for the servers at the Mai Kai and were part of a "system."

You would be greeted by the Maitre D'restaurant who wore a Blue Blazer. He would then give you over to your Table Captain to be seated.

Your Table Captain, wearing a white jacket, would seat you and tell you any specials of the day and then give you over to your server.

Your Server, wearing the Mandarin Collared shirt, would take your order and make sure your cocktail was never empty for very long. The Yellow shirts were for the Servers, the blue shirts were Water and Bus boys. The 'color coding' allowed the Table Captains, and management, to see who was where because at the time the Mai Kai was still a Jacket Required level restaurant.

The Mandarin Collar was 'exotic' in the US and fit with both the system of servers AND fit with the exotic theme of the restaurant.

Next time you are in the Mai Kai look around, the same system is still in place today even if the colors are not as organized they used to be.

X

^Exactly! Wow, you know your stuff!

X

weekend bump

X

up

X

to the top!

X

Would like to move this, will drop it in the mail for you for $100 even.

X

^^^^

Pages: 1 15 replies