Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1956 Better Homes & gardens Decorating book

Pages: 1 9 replies

PP

found this pop time capsule, my mom and dad bought it in time for their wedding in 1958. what a great decorating book with great ideas!

Very cool. Can you choose a few photos of pages from the inside if the book to share with us?

"Inquiring tiki minds want to know."

that's a great idea! I should have added some earlier!!! here are a few!
its so cool to see an item from the time period with colors and such, so much Modern, art deco, Danish Modern and Colonial, almost like watching an episode of I Love Lucy when they moved to Conn.

I love that blue kitchen. Thanks for posting these.

Wow, very cool photos! I often think that people of that time period became very bored with interior décor and then all the colorful and vibrant interiors became popular to shake things up and break out of a very plain rut the country found itself in. Plus the post-world-war optimism was there as well to help things along.

Great photos, thanks for sharing these!

PP

Thanks all,
yea I was reading through briefly, and its really neat to see what was considered "Modern" as well as what was "Traditional" I can see a lot of Asian influence on a lot of the ideas as well too. Now Im going to have to start looking around for some ideas for my 1956 built Ranch style home! So many great ideas, I think I need 5 more kitchens, 4 more living rooms, and 7 more bathrooms!!!

S

OMG...that book is the bomb!!! I love the furniture, the walls and all the decor. That book is certainly a treasure. If you can post more pictures that would be great...my inner decorator wanna be is craving it.

PP

On 2014-06-30 14:17, VampiressRN wrote:
OMG...that book is the bomb!!! I love the furniture, the walls and all the decor. That book is certainly a treasure. If you can post more pictures that would be great...my inner decorator wanna be is craving it.

hey dear, if youd like I can take and photo copy it for you.....

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2018 8:34 PM

Last September Better Homes and Gardens reprinted a vintage edition of their Decorating Book. Hard to tell if it’s this version or not; the book’s description mentions 1956, but the book’s cover says 1961. Either way it’s still pretty cool.

Pages: 1 9 replies