Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

July 27, 2014 Egyptian Theatre: Sven presentation on DtB, Tiki Pop book signing, +a Cannibal Movie!

Pages: 1 33 replies

H

Lifted straight from the Egyptian Theatre website:
http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/don-the-beachcomber-the-origins-of-the-american-tiki-bar-enchanted%E2%80%88island

Egyptian Theatre Hollywood, California
Sunday, July 27, 2014

Art Deco Illustrated Presentations 2014
He Dared To Fall In Love With A Cannibal Princess!

Don The Beachcomber & The Origins of the American Tiki Bar & ENCHANTED ISLAND

Co-presented with the Art Deco Society of Los Angeles. Sponsored by Deadhead Rum

Tiki guru Sven Kirsten (author of Book of Tiki) will give an illustrated presentation (60 min.) about the charismatic world traveler, Donn Beach aka Ernest Gantt, the originator of the Tiki Bar with his 1934 Don the Beachcomber bar (on McCadden Place across the street from the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood!). He is credited with the invention of over 80 (mostly rum based) cocktails such as the Zombie. Following the presentation is a booksigning of Sven’s latest book Tiki Pop, America Imagines Its Own Polynesian Paradise (Taschen) published in connection with an exhibition at the prestigious Musée du quai Branly.

The 1958 film ENCHANTED ISLAND will screen following the lecture:

Join us in the lobby at the break between the presentation and the film screening for Tiki Cocktail tasting sponsored by Deadhead Rum and a booksigning with Sven Kirsten. Wear your best Tiki gear. An exotic tropical, non-alcoholic beverage will be available as well.

Schedule:
4 PM Presentation & Audience Questions
5 PM Tiki Cocktail tasting
5:30 PM Enchanted Island

$15 General Admission
$12 Students/Seniors
$10 Cinematheque & Art Deco Society Members*
Members must show their current membership card at the door.

ENCHANTED ISLAND
1958, Warner Bros., 93 min, USA, Dir: Allan Dwan
The movie poster tagline screamed: “He dared to love a cannibal princess!” Director Allan Dwan brought his trademark lyrical romanticism to this kitschy adaptation of Herman Melville’s Typee. Shot on location as well as on some studio sets, this tiki-laden story of a deserting sailor (Dana Andrews) who falls in love with a native princess (Jane Powell, of all people!) gets the full Technicolor treatment.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2014-07-02 18:59 ]

I wonder if the Tiki Pop books will be sold at this event or will you have to bring your own? According to Amazon I can't get one until at least August 1st.

Does anyone know if Big Bro will have other Tiki Pop events? Somewhere I heard something about there maybe being one at the Purple Orchid.

On 2014-07-03 14:06, kenbo-jitsu wrote:
I wonder if the Tiki Pop books will be sold at this event or will you have to bring your own? According to Amazon I can't get one until at least August 1st.

Does anyone know if Big Bro will have other Tiki Pop events? Somewhere I heard something about there maybe being one at the Purple Orchid.

The event at the Purple Orchid is sold out.

I am pretty sure that the books will be there for this event.

I had also planned to sell some at the Intl. Marketplace at Don's on the 19th, and at the Poly Hai event at Purple Orchid on the 20th - but this has been put into question by this e-mail from Taschen today:

"Sorry for the delay here, we were waiting on confirmation of shipping company and unfortunately just today we learned that the container is delayed until 7/11"

That's the day the ship comes into port, from there they have to go to the warehouse to be distributed. I am trying to get them by the end of next week, but can't say if it will work.

There will also be a booksigning event at the Taschen store at Farmer's Market on Aug 3rd, and a slide show and signing at Oasis:

At all these events, the books will of course sell for their retail price of $ 59.99
To counteract the underpricing of Amazon that threatens small book stores I will go against my usual policy and NOT sign any carry-ons! That thing is too big and heavy to lug around anyway!

Bummer about the Purple Orchid. I'm late to the dance as usual.

Thank you for the information, Big Bro, and for scheduling so many events. By hook or crook I will make it to one of them!

P

Awesome! I was already scheduled to fly into LA for the grand re-opening of Disneyland's Club 33, and this event will mark the perfect ending to my week in SoCal! This just couldn't have worked out better.

I'll probably carry the book onboard my return flight and enjoy it in the friendly skies on the way home.

Ticket purchased. Look forward to seeing you there!

T

Sven, I hope you will have them ready by the next International Tiki Market Place. Glad I waited and didn't buy it through Amazon. Congrats on another successful book.

As with a lot of cds I buy,
I prefer to buy direct,and have the band/artist get all the profit.
Hopefully I can get one at this event.

Jeff btd

H

Sven, will you have with you any Tiki Pop DVDs for sale?

A few, I only brought 40 over from Paris. I will sell like 10 at each event.

It is NOT a doc about the exhibit, but about the American Tiki scene as captured by a French TV crew earlier this year. To have it available at the opening of the show, they obviously could not document the exhibition :)

I'm really looking forward to this event.
Who else is going?

Jeff btd

B

On 2014-07-19 05:23, bigtikidude wrote:
Who else is going?

Jeff btd

me & my boyfriend . the tikipop presentation will be held inside the theatre?

I assume so

Jeff btd

Yup - on the big screen! Scary, never done it so big. Tickets sales are brisk, and the LA Weekly and the LA Times will feature it in their calendars.

I am afraid we will not have enough books, Larry Edmunds ordered conservatively. But if you don't get any here, there still is the Taschen bookstore and the Surf Convention signings.

The Egyptian Theatre posted on Facebook: We can only guarantee a cocktail taste to people who purchase tickets by Thursday at 5 PM on fandango or at the Egyptian Theatre box office, because we have to buy the drink ingredients. if you purchase at the door, we may not have a drink for you, depending upon how many other people purchase at the door. Please be sure to bring your ID. if ya want a zombie!

Buy your tickets in advance!

Who else is going?

Jeff btd

I've been busy with work with all sorts of odd hours doing video editing and a moving deadline, so I had to ask my Magic 8-Ball. It responded with:

So far, so good...

Who else is going?

Jeff btd

Finally got tickets today - Val and I will be there.

Kevin

Just a FYI for you all.
I'm skipping a 3 band surf show to come to this.
:o

Jeff btd

H

From NBC News Los Angeles:

Toasting Old-School Tiki Bar Culture
American Cinematheque remembers Don the Beachcomber.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/entertainment/the-scene/Toasting-Old-School-Tiki-Bar-Culture-268681572.html

Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 • Updated at 3:56 PM PDT

We SoCalers get pretty dang huffy if we see a Top 10 list, one that covers the entire U.S., and a regional location or factoid or event doesn't appear on it.

Okay, granted, we don't love being on those congestion- or traffic-oriented Top 10s, but the ones about the cool things LA and its environs offers? Yeah, we tend to dominate.

Case in point: The classic tiki bar. The coconut-bedecked, pineapple-chunk laden island-sweet taverns proliferated around Southern California after World War II, and perhaps no spot was more visited, more revered, or has been more recalled, with fondness, than Don the Beachcomber.

American Cinematheque pays tribute to the former Tinseltown tiki bar with an afternoon of tiki drink samplings -- for the 21-and-over set, of course -- and tiki music and tiki shopping.

Plus? A talk about the tiki legend (Don the Beachcomber was a Mr. Ernest Gantt), his bar, and drinks from author Sven Kirsten, author of "Tiki Pop, America Imagines Its Own Polynesian Paradise." And a screening of "Enchanted Island," the oh-so-baroque Warner Bros. treat from 1958.

The tiki doings? They start at 4 p.m. on Sunday, July 27 at The Egyptian, just a short walk from where the original Don's was. Price? Fifteen bucks. (Vendors'll start vending, though, at 3 p.m., if you want to get your tiki on a little early.)

You're wearing a lei, a bright shirt, and your favorite island wear, yes? That's the lively, in-theme look of the afternoon.

And if you want a slice of Beachcomber kitsch, you can still get it, SoCal denizens: There's a Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach.

Last min update.

I've been asked to spin exotica music before the event
And during the book signing/drink portion break.

Jeff btd

B

trying to purchase tix now & fandango says cannot process order ! why did i wait until sat night .....

I highly doubt it's sold out.
I suggest going down there a little early,
And you should be able to get tix at the box office.

Jeff btd

B

On 2014-07-27 06:35, bigtikidude wrote:
I highly doubt it's sold out.
I suggest going down there a little early,
And you should be able to get tix at the box office.

Jeff btd

Ok got them fandango stupid site having issues . Someone said sales were "brisk" so I panicked . Plus I didn't wanna risk not getting the deadhead featured cocktail

It's a crazy zoo here,
The head lady at theater is blown away by turnout.
Great job by Sven and Marie with the drinks.

Jeff btd

On 2014-07-27 17:38, bigtikidude wrote:
It's a crazy zoo here,
The head lady at theater is blown away by turnout.
Great job by Sven and Marie with the drinks.

Jeff btd

Awesome that it was a great turnout. Bummed I had to miss it.

I don't know what I expected because I've never made it to an event at the Egyptian until yesterday but it was tiki madness with a ton of friends and a fun afternoon/evening. Cool presentation with some great visuals from Sven, Marie mixed and talked a bit about cocktails, and we saw a great bad movie (what's the consensus anyway - did Fayaway die at the end or not?).

I was inspired to go home, mix a 1934 Zombie into my Tiki Pop mug and watch episode 415 of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Beatniks while planning for Tiki Oasis.

Thanks Sven, Marie, and the Egyptian!

kevin

YES! of course Fayaway lives! the spear only nicked her like Toms "scratch" on his arm ! LOL!! WHAT A GREAT MOVIE!! and great turnout @ the Egyptian :) Mahalos to Marie and Kim & Andy (from Deadhead Rum)for all that you do at these colorful gatherings of 'Poly-Pop Lemmings':) ALOHA ! ......'there's always rum just around the corner'

DZ

Fish?

On 2014-07-31 22:01, Doctor Z wrote:
Fish?

Kiss.

I was the person in line after the one who bought the last signed copy of "Tiki Pop" at the Egyptian Theatre event. D'oh!
A very nice man (from the bookstore?) said that he would be in touch to get me a copy in the future so I gave him my email address but I haven't heard from him. Anyone else in the same boat or know who it is I need to contact? Thanks!!

frymyeyes, you joined TC in 2008 and this is your first post!
start participating man.

Was the guy you talked to from TASCHEN Publications?
If you're in the L.A. area you have:

TASCHEN Store Hollywood
Farmers Market, 6333 W. 3rd Street, CT-10
Los Angeles, CA 90036
United States

Tel +1-323-931 1168
[email protected]

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/stores/17375.store_hollywood.1.htm
For online purchase

Tikifarm will have a limited signed book & Mug offer available online in a few weeks

http://www.tikifarm.com/index.asp

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-08-04 14:43 ]

That was Jeff from Larry Edmunds bookstore on Hollywood Blvd. But they won't get any more in before the next shipment arrives from Germany mid-August.

ATP is right, your best bet is the Taschen store at Farmer's Market/The Grove:

I signed a bunch of extra copies there yesterday, so they should have a signed one in stock.

My lovely book-unwrapping assistant Miss Taschen, daughter of the publisher:

(photos by Jo Hirschfeld)

IF you need a personalized one, I will also be selling and signing here Sat morning:

..but I will only have a limited amount, so if you want to make sure, I can hold one fer ya, til a certain time.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-08-04 14:36 ]

Damn, Sven...you sure are getting around!

F

Thanks for the fast replies! I'll try and make my way to the grove this week.

Atomic Tiki Punch, I know! When I checked my profile, I was shocked.
I know I'm more of an observer but I didn't think I was that bad.
I'll make a goal of reaching the double digits soon. :wink:

Pages: 1 33 replies