Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Group in NJ?

Pages: 1 43 replies

I'm from Central NJ and interested in starting a group of fellow people from around the area to go to tiki bars/restaurants (Lun Wah, Jade Isle, Lee's Hawaiian Islander, Chan's Dragon Inn, Otto's Shrunken Head, etc) None of my friends are into the tiki scene and it's getting annoying trying to talk them into going to these places.

I'm from central NJ too. I've been to Lee's Hawaiian Islander, Otto's and Luh Wan, just recently. I'm curious to find out how many people from our area are into tiki. No one I know locally is, although the appreciate my backyard. (Or pretend to!)

i live in philadelphia and always try to hit up those places when i am making ar trip up to nyc.

Lori, how did you like Lun Wah? I love the décor there. I also went to Otto’s in May and I got the 10th anniversary mug. It’s pretty awesome. Is your backyard really tikified? I wish I had a home tiki bar.

Exquisitecorpse, how often do you get to NYC? Are there any tiki places in Philly at all?

Jeff

On 2014-07-15 23:07, PurpleXombie wrote:
Exquisitecorpse, how often do you get to NYC? Are there any tiki places in Philly at all?

I got to NYC about once a month or so.
Otto's is great, although the drinks can be hit or miss depending on who is working.
I have also been to Lee's Hawaiian and Chan's Dragon Inn once each. Lu Wah and Jade Island are on my list.

There are no Tiki places in Philly currently.
They are planning on opening a "tiki" bar sometime this summer but it seems like it will be more of a hipster bar that happens to serve tiki drinks.

T

"Exquisitecorpse, how often do you get to NYC? Are there any tiki places in Philly at all? "

Jeff

Cuba Libre not tiki but lots o rum.
And they squeeze there own sugar cane right at the bar.
http://cubalibrerestaurant.com/menus/city/Philadelphia/menu/58-BEVERAGES

R

This thread reminds me of the classic Joe Piscopo SNL skit, 'I'm from Jersey, are you from Jersey'. Anyway I am from central NJ and what about the local Tiki Bars. The fun is in finding the hidden places not on the radar. There is one on Ocean Ave. in Sea Bright for instance. Frankly I'm really not into bars but I am planning to Tikify the back yard next summer. Just spent all my yearly yard budget on the new privacy fence to start it off.

Dave C.

:lol: What exit?
Hope you guys get a Tiki gang together! We really enjoy our San Diego meet-ups.
Some day I'm going to visit some of those NJ area places.

Luh Wan is work going to for the decor alone. It is filled with tiki goodness! Great lampsf or example.

The food's fine - pretty much Chinese.

The drinks are AWFUL. Seriously bad. Such a disapointment but thanks to Critiki I can't say I was surprised.

Yes, I've tikified my backyard. Here's my thread - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42865&forum=20&57

We haven't done anything yet this year except hang up my hammock. we just completely redid the kitchen so the backyard wasn't a priority.

What place on Ocean Avenue Roadtiki? Please tell!

T

Hi Lori,

When was the last time you went to Lun Wah? They changed management and I heard the drinks were greatly improved.

I have not been there myself since the change, but I never thought the drinks were horrible, just standard old school Tiki drinks.

There is a small group of NYC/NJ Tiki afficianadoes that travel to Lun Wah, Lee's, and Jade Island occasionally. I can put your email in with the rest when invitations are sent out. if you like.

Jack

R

On 2014-07-17 10:36, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Luh Wan is work going to for the decor alone. It is filled with tiki goodness! Great lampsf or example.

The food's fine - pretty much Chinese.

The drinks are AWFUL. Seriously bad. Such a disapointment but thanks to Critiki I can't say I was surprised.

Yes, I've tikified my backyard. Here's my thread - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42865&forum=20&57

We haven't done anything yet this year except hang up my hammock. we just completely redid the kitchen so the backyard wasn't a priority.

What place on Ocean Avenue Roadtiki? Please tell!

Ah I've seen this backyard before. I reached out to your husband and he was very helpful answering my questions. The place on Ocean Ave is called Beach Walk Hotel. They also have a Tiki Bar called Maggies Tiki Bar.

Dave C.

Hey Jack,

Long time, no talk.

We went to Lun wah on June 21st. the drinks were strong but tasteless. Definitely premixed kind of reminiscent of rum punches you might get free on a sailboat in the Caribbean. Maybe it was a bad night. It wouldn't stop me from going again though.

Definitely put me on the tiki group list. I'm pm you my email.

:)

Lori

Exquisite, I agree with you about Otto's. Last time I went the bartender was kind of cold to us but the drinks were pretty good. Tikiskip, Cubelibre looks interesting. And their website says that August is rum month! Lori, your backyard looks awesome! I'm so jealous lol. I also agree with Jack that the drinks are pretty good. I went there for my birthday last August and had the Boo Loo Pineapple, though not sure if that's what they called it and the volcano bowl. The food was mediocre I agree, though the chicken "packets" in foil were delicious. I'd say the best part were the decorations. Very fun and classic tiki. I didn't know about the Beach Walk Hotel/Maggie's Tiki Bar. How is it? The only "tiki" bar I ever knew was at the Jersey shore was Martel's...No comment. Also, tonight I made a Planet of the Apes from Beachbum Berry's Remixed and put it in the Top Banana Tiki Farm mug. Off topic but it was really good :)

If anyone would actually like to meet up at any of these places please let me know!

Jeff

I need to check this board more often cause I'm just seeing this now. I'm based in Yonkers, NY and work in Manhattan so Otto's is my regular watering hole. My husband and I are always excited to know there are more tikiphiles in the area.

Anyway I just saw on FB that the FOM are planning a Bridge and Tunnel tiki tour in October. I assume hitting Jersey and Staten Island. It should be exciting. Hope we can make.

K

There is going to be a bus tour of many of those places in October.

Check it out here:
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17960

On 2014-07-29 18:38, PurpleXombie wrote:
Cubelibre looks interesting. And their website says that August is rum month!

Cube Libre is pretty fancy, but not tiki at all
The Yachtsman just opened and it is more of a surf vibe, but they serve classic and signature tiki drinks in mugs and real coconuts.

T

Hey!

We've got a couple of Tiki gigs coming up at Otto's this week! Please stop in!

Cheers!

Jack

On 2014-08-15 13:44, exquisitecorpse wrote:

On 2014-07-29 18:38, PurpleXombie wrote:
Cubelibre looks interesting. And their website says that August is rum month!

Cube Libre is pretty fancy, but not tiki at all
The Yachtsman just opened and it is more of a surf vibe, but they serve classic and signature tiki drinks in mugs and real coconuts.

Have you been there yet? I heard they were open, but I haven't been there, I am fearing lots of hipster attitude, you know, the classic we-are-too-cool-for-you attitude.

Hope you folks can start a meet-up, it is so much fun to hook up with other Tikiphiles in your area. Sometimes you just have to pic a date/time/place and go for it. In the Sacramento area we started some meet-ups and still do them occasionally. Every once in a while someone has a party we all try to make. We are now in our 9th year of our Home Tiki Crawl, it is fun to enjoy our Tiki sanctuaries and share food, cocktails and our collectables.

Best of luck on linking with your local Ohana.

On 2014-08-17 17:44, TikiGoddess wrote:

On 2014-08-15 13:44, exquisitecorpse wrote:

Have you been there yet? I heard they were open, but I haven't been there, I am fearing lots of hipster attitude, you know, the classic we-are-too-cool-for-you attitude.

i went to a soft opening, about half the crowd seemed hipstery and annoying. i suspect their $2 PBRs will keep them coming back.

I'm dying to go to the Yachtsman!

Can we start a meet up? Pretty please!

Z

On 2014-08-15 09:41, kristiki wrote:

looks cool!

details?

On 2014-08-20 18:50, Zonker88 wrote:

looks cool!

The Bridge and Tunnel tour sounds awesome! I'm so there! Hopefully it won't be snowing by then lol.

The Bridge and Tunnel tour sounds awesome! I'm there. Hopefully it won't be snowing by then...

They have a Facebook page up so you probably want to start following that for updates.

http://www.facebook.com/BridgeAndTunnelTikiTour

T

Check it out here:
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17960

WOW! that came just in time cuz this other guy was just asking about meeting other tiki
folks in NJ here...

"I'm from Central NJ and interested in starting a group of fellow people from around the area to go to tiki bars/restaurants"

Serendipity that's what that is.

Some times it just works out.

I was at the test event in March 2012, it was a good time, fun venues. Glad to see the official event is coming together.

Has anyone noticed the increased amount of articles about NYC tiki locales and that it mentions Brian Miller as being the person keeping tiki culture alive??

I haven't been to any of his events because they happen so infrequently. The articles make it seem like everyone in the city has given up on tiki which I really must beg to differ.

That perception may be driven by the demise of PKNY and other recent tiki ventures in New York? Doesn't make it true but if someone is writing an article about tiki bars in the city that's the easy story to write.

-Rev

T

Pirate bartender is bringing Tiki back — one cocktail at a time
By Andy WangAugust 16, 2014 | 6:49am
Modal Trigger
Pirate bartender is bringing Tiki back — one cocktail at a time
Brian Miller regularly dons war paint and a bandana — similar to Captain Jack Sparrow — when he makes Tiki drinks.
Photo: Gabi Porter
Bartender Brian Miller calls himself a pirate, and he looks like one, too, but he’s not sword-fighting for booty on a deserted island. For years, he’s been crusading for Tiki cocktails.ARTENDER
It’s not an easy fight. In recent years, tropical cocktails fell out of fashion, with city Tiki bars like Lani Kai and Painkiller closing. Even Hawaiian mainstays like La Mariana in Oahu often seem to be on the brink of sinking.
“Tiki has so many knives in its back,” says Miller, the head bartender at downtown’s exclusive, 12-seat ZZ’s Clam Bar (169 Thompson St.) and a fan of the tropical-drink tradition for years. “People say it’s all sweet, it’s all sugary, the drinks aren’t balanced, when actually it’s quite the opposite. These are really complex drinks; you can taste all of the ingredients. I’ve made Tiki drinks with gin, tequila, sake, Jagermeister and white whiskey.”
Now, Tiki is making a comeback, with top restaurants across the country adding tropical drinks to their menus, and Miller is the man to thank for the proliferation of Painkillers and Rum Runners.
His Tiki torch was ignited a decade ago when he took a trip to Hawaii, had some mediocre Mai Tais and realized he could do better. He seriously studied all the drinks created by Don the Beachcomber, the Southern California bar that invented Tiki cocktails in the 1930s, and, in 2011, started hosting a Tiki Monday at bars around the city. Now he’s looking to open a beachy bar of his own.
Modal Trigger
The Montego Bay, a spicy and boozy drink.
“Brian is important to Tiki because he’s basically kept it alive in New York despite all the hardships,” says mixologist Paul McGee, whose Chicago Tiki bar Three Dots and a Dash was recently named Best New American Cocktail Bar at New Orleans’ prestigious Tales of the Cocktail festival. “When some of the bars folded, he was the one who was like, ‘No, it’s not dead.’ There’s no one in New York who works as hard as he does at it.”
Miller was also a big influence on Prime Meats’ bartender Garret Richard, who recently a started a monthly Tiki Takeover party
“I was really inspired,” Richard says. “Tiki wasn’t treated by Brian like Jazz at Lincoln Center. It wasn’t preserved in amber. It was allowed to grow and change. Brian wants to do new things with Tiki.”
At ZZ’s, Miller wears a sarong beneath a formal white shirt and jacket and slings upscale Tiki creations like the Pineapple — a gin, house limoncello and chamomile concoction served in a brass pineapple. But he says his most memorable Tiki moment behind the bar happened years ago.
He was working at Death & Co. when a friend, Tiki expert Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, came in. Berry had a proper Zombie cocktail, kept drinking and left the bar wondering where he even was. Which was the whole point.
“Tiki is about escape,” says Miller. “It’s about exotic locales.”
Modal Trigger
The Flaming Zombie cocktail.

Here he is.
Looks like you can meet tiki folks at ZZ’s Clam Bar (169 Thompson St.)
Oh and that BATT event too.

Disclaimer of Endorsement:

Reference herein to any specific commercial products, Event, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or Fraternal Order, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Tikiskip. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of Tikiskip, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

So who is going to the Bridge and Tunnel Tour? I had no idea there were even any tiki places in Staten Island. I also want to go to New Orleans in December or January to visit BeachBum Berry's new bar!

On 2014-09-18 23:13, PurpleXombie wrote:
So who is going to the Bridge and Tunnel Tour? I had no idea there were even any tiki places in Staten Island. I also want to go to New Orleans in December or January to visit BeachBum Berry's new bar!

I am trying to go.

great! we look forward to meeting you all!
j$

T

Gina of the Jungle and I will be at the BATTT as well.

(also at Tiki Monday tonight)

Hope to meet more local Tikiphiles.

Cheers!

Jack

Hey Jack, What's Tiki Monday?

Jeff

I am casually necro-bumping this thread to see if anyone in the NJ/Philly area is around for a meet up? Maybe at the Yachtsman (until we kickstarter our own tiki bar...)

Dang, we were there just yesterday (The Yachtsman)... there was a mention of it here on TC...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48092&forum=2

[edited to include link]

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2015-08-24 11:19 ]

okoolihau, I hope you get something rolling in Philly. I've really enjoyed the couple of treks we've made to the Yachtsman. If you wrangle up some of the locals for a meet up there, perhaps a few of us from the DC area can swing up to keep on working through their drink menu.

On 2015-08-26 08:24, Dr. Coruba wrote:
okoolihau, I hope you get something rolling in Philly. I've really enjoyed the couple of treks we've made to the Yachtsman. If you wrangle up some of the locals for a meet up there, perhaps a few of us from the DC area can swing up to keep on working through their drink menu.

They now do Tiki Tuesdays.
30% off all tiki drinks except zombie and papa Doble from open to close.

On 2015-08-26 22:12, exquisitecorpse wrote:

On 2015-08-26 08:24, Dr. Coruba wrote:

They now do Tiki Tuesdays. 30% off all tiki drinks except zombie and papa Doble from open to close.

Tiki Tuesdays... Gotta see who can leave work a little early for a road trip up there.

I am up for a Yachtsman outing, although weekends are best since I work full time and live in the burbs. My days of Tues nite punk shows til 3 am are long gone. Wow, that sounds kind of sad, I need a mai tai. NOW.

Tuesdays are tough for a lot of people, so I'm already looking at a Saturday over the next couple of months. I update as soon as a few of us down here in DC settle on a date.

Pages: 1 43 replies