Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Found by the Road

Pages: 1 7 replies

D
DCinDC posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2014 1:44 PM

Hello -

I've been reading this forum for months and I've dreamed about finding an old bar that I could restore. Well it happened the other day - my son saw this old bar abandoned in front of a house down the street.

It is in pretty good shape but I am interested in anyone's ideas on how to clean it up a little. As you can see, it is dark and a little scuffed up. Should I try and lighten the color somehow or just shellac it nicely?

More interestingly, the previous owner covered the entire bar top with beer bottle caps in some kind of acrylic. I give them style points but its not really my cup of tea. What should I do with that?

I appreciate any tips, I really enjoy seeing some of the great bars other people have shared.

Thanks!

H

That's pretty funny! Nice find. I agree, the bar top has got to go, but other than that, it looks to be a great start.

Well you can strip it, sand it, stain it & reseal it....and probably replace the top.

Here is my step by step on restoring vintage furniture for details
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33792&forum=18&vpost=647933

Congratulations on your windfall. I agree that the top has to go, sand it down and a dark stain should make it come back to life. Have fun and post more pics of your project.

T

Great tip Vamp but.
"in some kind of acrylic"
Have you ever sanded that stuff? Don't work.

You need to cover the top with a whole new piece of 1 to 3/4 inch wood.
You may be able to find that half round trim in rattan or poplar wood. (Franks Cane and rush)
As far as the other parts of the bar you may be able to lighten the color with lite
sanding, steel wool?
But it's hard to get in the many cracks you will have on that bar.
Try clear shellac on this one since it's dark already.

But then all that you do on this bar should first be tested on a low backside of the bar incase you don't like out come.

Good luck!!

T

http://www.franksupply.com/bamboo/rattan-poles.html#9rattan

Ok here it is.
You can get say the 3/4 inch rattan pole at 10.00 bucks for 9 feet, then it's 2.00 bucks to
have them split it for you, then whatever ship costs are.

Thanks for the expert guidance TS. I had no idea the sanding was an issue...good to know. It is a nice piece (except for the top...somebody drank a lot of beer.)

T

"Thanks for the expert guidance TS"

I do not think myself an expert but more a person that has worked with these things and
picked up some info along the way.

It would be cool if you could slide a strip of tapa in that area where the rattan "Us" are,
under the "Us" that is.

Pages: 1 7 replies