Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai-Kai book project: 60th Anniversary event Dec 28th

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

Dear Wendy CEVOLA,

We were unable to fulfill some or all of the items in your order, as noted below.

Your order contained an item that is no longer scheduled for release. This may be because the item was discontinued or replaced by a newer version.

We canceled this portion of your order and you will not be billed for it.

Item Qty Price
Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant 1 $33.28

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to your next visit to BN.com.

Sincerely,
— Barnes & Noble

We are going to be at Tiki Oasis 16 so hold one for us PLEASE!!! Wendy

H
Heath posted on Tue, Aug 9, 2016 10:28 AM

I received the same letter, well actually mine says Heath instead of Wendy.
I was wondering if it was just me...

[ Edited by: Heath 2016-08-09 10:29 ]

I'm glad they didn't all say Wendy! Maybe he got a better deal someplace else. I'm sure he'll let us know soon. Wendy

S

B&N screwed up the release date and had it as July 28th. We got that fixed, but it seems to have also triggered a cancellation because the book isn't available! Lots of emails and messages today and the publisher is trying to get it fixed with B&N...

You can pre-order at Amazon and get a low price guarantee.

I originally ordered with B&N but cancelled it last month and went with Amazon since it worked out better with the free shipping here to Hawaii..
Cant wait to get it Swanky!!

I know your book will be a sellout so I just ordered through Amazon. That's another way to avoid the lines. I will wave hi to you when you are selling at Tiki Oasis. Remember the fun night at Kohalacharms. Boy that was a long time back. Cheers, Wendy

S

Next week the first 60 books will be available at Tiki Oasis 6 weeks in advance. We had these shipped directly from the Chinese printers at great cost. Hell, I'm buying one myself!

Come to my presentation and nerd the hell out. First I'm going to give you new insights into Donn Beach and how DtB is so closely related to the Mai-Kai. Color video of Donn himself at DtB Waikiki! Then Marina and Nani Maka, former Mystery Girls will perform hula. After that we'll talk to Randy Avon, who lived the mid-century life of our dreams! Not only is his family Hawaiian cultural royalty (George Mossman, Pualani Mossman, Sterling Mossman, George Kainapau, Alfred Apaka...), but his mother ran the Mai-Kai gift shop, so he grew up there. A teenager at the Mai-Kai. Then he became SE manager of Rums of Puerto Rica at 25. He visited all the top Polynesian restaurants and had the money to do it right, plus lots of time in Hawaii as a kama'aina. So great stories of the Mai-Kai, Johnny Carson, the Mystery Girl on the Tonight Show with video, Hawaii, Rum shenanigans at the KY Derby, Walt Disney, and more.

Weekend of September 17th we'll be in Fort Lauderdale for the book release party at the Mai-Kai. Part of the event is sold out, but send me an email to get on the waiting list. We booked an entire mid-century hotel to ourselves. Saturday I'll do a presentation at the Mai-Kai. Lots of locals historical societies and politicians. We'll have an early happy hour and book signing in Molokai. Lost Cocktails with Jim Hayward of Atomic Grog curating. And the first chances on the east coast to get the book. Call the Mai-Kai for reservations for the presentation as space is limited.

We are working on an event in Charleston SC at Cane Rhum Bar perhaps in October. An event here in Knoxville TBA, and an event in ATL at Trader Vic's TBA.

We will also be at the actual 60th anniversary event at the Mai-Kai December 28th.

Pre-order your book now. I have a feeling this first run of 3,000 will be gone quickly and on back order for a while... The book is a top seller for my publisher for 2016 right now, and it isn't even out yet!

Next year, we plan on attending Modernism Week Palm Springs, VLV LV, Miami Rum Ren., Hukilau FLL, Tiki Kon Portland, TO San Diego, and some others as we figure it out. Perhaps NYC, Chicago, Milwaukee, Denver, Seattle, LA, SF, Phoenix, Nashville...

Sounds incredible and sorry to miss it. We don't have any tiki bars in Austin but the bar tenders guild does organize an annual Texas Tiki Week. Last year Appleton, BG Reynolds, and Lost Lake all hosted events. You should look into booking something for that. This year's event is probably too short notice for you though since it's only a month away.

T

Latest Amazon email now indicates THE Mai Kai book ships Sept. 1- Sept. 8 GREAT (-:

The book is available to be ordered and shipped on Amazon NOW: http://amzn.to/2bLL85N

• Happy Dance!:

...with a nice embossed slip cover!:

Those who already own it and dig it: Leave an Amazon star rating and review, please!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-08-30 08:11 ]

T

I got mines.

Your Amazon.com order of "Mai-Kai: History and..." has shipped!
Going to need to get it signed Tim.

TT

My copy arrived yesterday. It looks great! I will look it over this weekend as I taste test a Jet Pilot using the new LH 151. Life is good....

AF

Mine arrived yesterday as well! Really enjoying the photo history you present Tim, especially after making my first visit in April this year. What a place! Congrats!

I am picking mine up at the Mai Kai with Swanky in a few weeks, so no spoiler alerts!

DC

T

Me, too, DC... it will be great to meet you in person there!

-Tom

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2016 7:47 AM

An article in the New Times today.

P
PremEx posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2016 1:35 PM

Mine arrived yesterday. Have already read it cover to cover. Great book and learned a lot of new stuff about the history. I'll have an even greater appreciation of the Mai Kai next time I visit. Thanks!

T

Just received my copy of this terrific book. The extensive amount of photos used to support the text really brings the Mai-Kai alive. What a great way to celebrate the 60th anniversary and I'm looking forward to going back again this month. Thank YOU Swanky for this A+ book. (-:

T

I got to go through this book a bit more and it really is great!
Lots of great photos for a old ignorant non reader like me.
There are words too.

The invite card with the custom stamp and graphic's is very well done too.
Will post photos of it here when I find the thing.

Really want to come but will have to see as October is kinda busy.

Great job to you and Stephanie!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-09-08 05:30 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2016 4:44 PM

Good luck Swanky!
Hope you win a Pulitzer or something! How does it feel to be a published author? was it worthy? Hard? called crazy many times? Like having a child? Now you are immortal, kindda.

Tiki books. Cant have enough!

S

On 2016-09-12 16:44, Zeta wrote:
Good luck Swanky!
Hope you win a Pulitzer or something! How does it feel to be a published author? was it worthy? Hard? called crazy many times? Like having a child? Now you are immortal, kindda.

All the above!

It really is just sinking in.
It was worth it because it gave renewed life and energy to some of my old timers. Getting the book into their hands and their praise has made it worth it.
It was very hard.
I had more than on person I interviewed say "No one's going to buy this book"
Like childbirth, soon after you forget all the pain that made you say "never again."
Yes, it is scary to realize my opinions are now "fact." All books are someone's opinions.

All the best to you, Swanky! :)

T

On 2016-09-13 06:16, Swanky wrote:

On 2016-09-12 16:44, Zeta wrote:
Good luck Swanky!

All the above!

It really is just sinking in.
It was worth it because it gave renewed life and energy to some of my old timers. Getting the book into their hands and their praise has made it worth it.
It was very hard.
I had more than on person I interviewed say "No one's going to buy this book"
Like childbirth, soon after you forget all the pain that made you say "never again."
Yes, it is scary to realize my opinions are now "fact." All books are someone's opinions.

seriously....fantastic, classy job!

S

Article in South Florida weekly recently. Forgive the errors here and there.

Thanks to heylownine for the kind words in the latest 5 Minutes of Rum Podcast

I'll recap the release party soon, but, it was the cap of a life's work. My "un-event" was well received and fantastic. Considering making it annual.

Here's a big hint: Listen to NPR's Morning Edition on Thursday about 7:50AM (EDT, may vary across the nation).

Ordered my copy last night via Amazon. Can't wait to get it!

Loved your quote: "Yes, it is scary to realize my opinions are now "fact." All books are someone's opinions." So true!

I picked up the copy I ordered from my book store yesterday - I probably have the first copy in the Southern Hemisphere. :0 It's a beautifully illustrated, very readable account of a fascinating location.

S

Swanky, I have a question about this bowl:

It's pictured twice in your book but not mentioned. Looks like a Trader Vic bowl but was being used at the Mai Kai. Was it temporary before the Mai Kai had their own Mystery Bowl made or was it for a different bowl drink entirely? And do any of these exist in the world with the Mai Kai name on it?

On 2016-09-27 05:12, Swanky wrote:
Liquor.com story about the book.

The email from them with this link just landed in my inbox. So awesome to see how this is taking off for you, Swanky!!

S

On 2016-09-28 12:57, mikehooker wrote:
Swanky, I have a question about this bowl:

It's pictured twice in your book but not mentioned. Looks like a Trader Vic bowl but was being used at the Mai Kai. Was it temporary before the Mai Kai had their own Mystery Bowl made or was it for a different bowl drink entirely? And do any of these exist in the world with the Mai Kai name on it?

Mike,
It is the early Mystery Bowl. I have several images of it and it is in the first ads for the Molokai and Mystery Drink. I thought I mentioned it in a caption. I'll have to add it in if there is a 2nd edition. The gray Mystery Bowls are super rare, so the chances these early bowls are out there is slim, but possible. Have never seen one.

S

Duplicate post, but while I am here...

It is killing me how these stories are getting facts wrong and mis-quoting me. Take them all with a grain or three of salt.

[ Edited by: swanky 2016-09-29 06:26 ]

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Oct 6, 2016 5:47 AM

On 2016-09-29 05:03, Swanky wrote:
Duplicate post, but while I am here...

It is killing me how these stories are getting facts wrong and mis-quoting me. Take them all with a grain or three of salt.

[ Edited by: swanky 2016-09-29 06:26 ]

Not sure what aspects were misrepresented but I think the story does a fair job of getting the message across and promoting the book.

I feel for you though. I've been interviewed for papers a few times over the years for various endeavors and have always been misquoted. The most recent was just over a year ago and I didn't even want to share the story on social media cuz everything I said was used out of context and the article was completely misleading. Strangely enough, the same person who ran that piece JUST called me a few minutes ago to do a follow up. We'll see how that turns out.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Oct 7, 2016 9:14 AM

I will be at the December 28th 60th anniversary party and we are working on doing a presentation in the main dining room and perhaps another walking tour, as well as a book signing.

In order to keep track of numbers and keep a limit, we'll likely make ticketed events.

I will likely be making the Victoria Park Hotel my HQ and highly recommend the hotel. If you are coming in for the event, let me know!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

[ Edited by: Swanky 2016-10-10 06:14 ]

UP

I picked up the last copy (except for the display copy) at Ohana back at the beginning of October. Swanky, it's a wonderful history of my favorite place.

Last night at my fathers 80th birthday gathering talk turned to Daytona Beach, where I was born and my parents met in the early 60's. In the midst of discussion of early stock car drivers and other local characters, my Dad blurts out",What was the name of that place that fired off the cannon when you ordered that drink?" I, of course, knew from the book that this was the inspiration for the Mystery Bowl! After much prodding, they couldn't come up with the name, and my Dad said he could text (!) an old fraternity brother to find out. After the cake was served, and a near disaster with sparklers in the shape of the number 80 was averted, my mother suddenly hollered ", The Hut!" We all looked at her and she said", The bar with that drink was The Hut."

So there you go.

[ Edited by: Uncle Pat 2016-10-28 06:19 ]

[ Edited by: Uncle Pat 2016-10-28 06:20 ]

S

On 2016-10-28 06:18, Uncle Pat wrote:
I picked up the last copy (except for the display copy) at Ohana back at the beginning of October. Swanky, it's a wonderful history of my favorite place.

Last night at my fathers 80th birthday gathering talk turned to Daytona Beach, where I was born and my parents met in the early 60's. In the midst of discussion of early stock car drivers and other local characters, my Dad blurts out",What was the name of that place that fired off the cannon when you ordered that drink?" I, of course, knew from the book that this was the inspiration for the Mystery Bowl! After much prodding, they couldn't come up with the name, and my Dad said he could text (!) an old fraternity brother to find out. After the cake was served, and a near disaster with sparklers in the shape of the number 80 was averted, my mother suddenly hollered ", The Hut!" We all looked at her and she said", The bar with that drink was The Hut."

So there you go.

[ Edited by: Uncle Pat 2016-10-28 06:19 ]

[ Edited by: Uncle Pat 2016-10-28 06:20 ]

Awesome! Leonce couldn't recall the place or the name of the drink. He thought the name was "the Howitzer" and I went with that, but would like to know what it was actually called.

Another piece of the history that I hope I get to put in a 2nd edition. Buy more books so they authorize that new edition!

UP

Funny you should say that. I mentioned The Howitzer, and both parental units looked vague and said they didn't remember that.

My Dad texted a few minutes ago.

Dad-" The name of the rum drink was the 'Paleface" it sold for a dollar."

me- "a Bargain!"

Dad- "Yes, one was all your date could handle."

Apparently, even though Lizzie Coconuts and I have been married 28 years, he doesn't know her that well.

UP

Hold the phone. I just had a conversation with my mother and she says. No, the Paleface was another bar. Indeed a quick search of "Paleface Daytona Beach" comes up with a mention of the Paleface Harbor Restaurant near Smokey Yunick's garage ( where she had her MGTD serviced). I will get to the bottom of this.

UP

Just read the obituary for Frederick Freddie Keeser. He owned the Paleface Harbor Restaurant home of the Flaming Paleface drink. He also operated the Tee Pee lounge in the OLd Princess Issena Hotel.

The Tee Pee was the first name my mom came up with.

I will talk to her today and see if any of this shakes up the ol' memory.

UP

Okay. After a little interrogation lite, I got some semi-firm answers. It was the Paleface Harbor and the drink was the Paleface. The kicker is, they had it on tap. Yes, on tap. She said they had two "tubes" running to taps that they combined to make the drink. She was not sure on the cannon because my younger brother, a Civil War re-enactor, has an actual Civil War 3 inch rifled field piece. To her That's a cannon. When pressed she said, yes they had some kind of "toy" cannon that they fired. Nice.

Anyway her description was that you could not taste any alcohol in the drink, but the effects were quite strong. To my mind not unlike a Monsoon from Port-o-Call in NOLA.

[ Edited by: Uncle Pat 2016-10-29 15:41 ]

S

Bob Van Dorpe, the real star of our story, gets a copy of the book. He turned 90 this year. He was Donn Beach's best friend and was at Donn's bedside when he ended his life. Bob is who I dedicated the book to and his spirit and story motivated me to finally make it happen.

Please take a moment to review and share the book.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

[ Edited by: swanky 2016-11-17 04:57 ]

S

I has suggested the Victoria Park Hotel for the anniversary event but it is booked up.

Any of the North Beach Village Resorts are great. I am thinking I may stay at Coco Belle. Other than Victoria Park the hotels are close together. We can coordinate any hotel activities later.

S
S

SPECIAL EVENT: The Mai-Kai’s 60th Anniversary Symposia Series & Customer Celebration Party – Wednesday, Dec. 28. Featuring presentations by authors Sven Kirsten and Tim "Swanky" Glazner. Plus enjoy dinner shows, live music, and food and drink specials all night. Doors open at 1:30, symposia begin at 2, happy hour at 3:30, signings at 4, live music at 6, dinner shows at 7 and 9:30 (not included in ticket for symposiums! Call The Mai-Kai to make your reservation).

You must buy a ticket to attend the symposia. Available now at http://TikiKiliki.com/ and at The Mai-Kai. For dinner reservations, call (954) 563-3272.

Full event preview from The Atomic Grog: http://wp.me/p1xHjT-3z4

Wish I could be there...if you are in the area don't hesitate. If you're in the area and don't go, shame on you.

Kevin

In a special ceremony on Dec. 13, the Broward County Commission declared Dec. 28th to be "Mai-Kai Restaurant and Polynesian Show Day" in the county. The owners, management and performers attended the signing of the proclamation at the commission chambers in Fort Lauderdale ....

"Be it proclaimed by the board of county commissioners of Broward County, Florida: That the Board hereby designates Wednesday December 28, 2016 as "MAI-KAI RESTAURANT AND POLYNESIAN SHOW DAY" in Broward County, offers its gratitude for 60 years of historical hospitality."

Watch the video (fast forward to the 4:00:00 mark)
http://broward.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=3&clip_id=2827

The "lost cocktails" menu for Dec. 28 was just announced ...

Also added is info on the recent Broward County proclamation of "Mai-Kai Day" ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/12/01/the-mai-kai-turns-60-with-special-history-presentations-celebration/

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies