Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki bar opening in Palm Springs - Fall 2014

Pages: 1 23 replies

J

Here's their official website... http://www.bootleggertiki.com/about

And an article from the local paper... http://www.desertsun.com/story/money/business/2014/07/29/bootlegger-tiki-ernest-coffee-palm-springs-don-beachcomber/13317209

That'll make it 3 Tiki bars in town !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2014-07-29 15:56 ]

Sounds like a solid plan. Let's hope execution is just as solid..

Tanks for the heads up John-O. Looks like it’s up towards “Dazzle” and the Riviera hotel. Yea!
David and CeCe

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-07-29 17:31 ]

K

You know what, I saw the builds several weeks ago on Instagram, and I thought they were building a tiki-themed coffee joint. Glad to be wrong.

T

The new manager has experience with high end wine bars (Hmmmm???) per the article.

I would hope they reach out to the Tiki community
as the blog only says the bar manager has wine bar & gourmet food experience.

Who's doing the decor?

"A modern take" scares me!!

Stand back and give em a chance.
Cheers

This will be very interesting to see. Especially when it's opening where the original DTBC in Palm Springs is located. But like Nui umi umi said, "lets stand back and watch".

This is good news - another indication that Palm Springs is continuing to embrace and make commitments to tiki. Who knows what additional tiki lies ahead for Palm Springs. When is it appropriate to start referring to Palm Springs as a "tiki mecca?"

Hi everyone.

Bootlegger Tiki/Ernest Coffee general manager, Gregory here. We are very excited to announce that Bootlegger Tiki will be opening in the next 2 to 3 weeks in Palm Springs, and here’s some info for all you tiki lovers out there. As you may know, we are taking over the space once occupied by Don the Beachcombers. We take pride and feel honored to be part of such history, and working hard on creating a space that Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt would be proud of. We will be using only fresh juices, homemade syrups, and small batch liqueur. Basically, think of a “speakeasy tiki bar”.

Our bar Manager, who has worked and opened some of LA’s best wine/cocktail bars and high-end restaurants over the last 12 years, will be overseeing the everyday operation. We are also pleased that our head-bartender/mixologist will be representing Bootlegger Tiki next week at the SELVAREY RUM PRESENTS THE BATTLE OF THE 111 MIXOLOGY COMPETITION FINALS at the Saguaro Hotel in Palm Springs.

Come visit, grab a drink, and enjoy!

Sincerely,

Gregory

Thanks for the info Bootleggertiki. Any news on what it will look like?

On 2014-07-30 04:10, AceExplorer wrote:
This is good news - another indication that Palm Springs is continuing to embrace and make commitments to tiki. Who knows what additional tiki lies ahead for Palm Springs. When is it appropriate to start referring to Palm Springs as a "tiki mecca?"

When the Mai Kai opens a bar there... :wink:

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-07-30 12:55 ]

On 2014-07-30 12:55, lunavideogames wrote:
Thanks for the info Bootleggertiki. Any news on what it will look like?

On 2014-07-30 04:10, AceExplorer wrote:

When the Mai Kai opens a bar there... :wink:

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-07-30 12:55 ]

Ha! Good one Luna!!! :wink:

Welcome to TC bootleggertiki, I sure hope you guys consider tapping the extreme
wealth of Tiki knowledge we have accumulated here & contact our experts like "Bamboo Ben"
for your build, you will be better off for it, oh and no Bacardi please!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-07-30 20:59 ]

T

Will it have bright pink and surf boards like Toucans the other "Tiki" bar there?

Maybe you could get this huge STAR at the grand opening.

"Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" star Lisa Vanderpump walks down the pink carpet carrying her dog, Giggy, before a ceremony to unveil her star on the Palm Springs Walk of Stars on Wednesday morning, July 30, 2014 in Palm Springs, Calif.

I kid, good luck on your remodel it's good to see any true tiki bar open.
But then there are lots o fakers out there. (see Toucans for faker example)

T

Interesting idea and I'm curious to see the result of their preparation opening day.

J

On 2014-07-31 06:25, tikiskip wrote:
....But then there are lots o fakers out there. (see Toucans for faker example)

I thought it was real. I've been in a lot worse. :)

T

That does look a bit better than the photos on their website.

I still don't like those Vanderpump bake beans.

My wife and I have been to Toucans a couple of times during the day-we were told that it’s almost exclusively “locals” at night. We had a good time and the service was good. The drinks were not very good, Stick to rum and coke. There are a few nice tiki’s and some killer chunk lamps (hanging kine). As I mentioned in another post Toucan’s is Tiki lite. I agree with John-0, it’ s a Tiki Bar.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-07-31 20:10 ]

T

Well on the website the photo they show looks like a good place to
film Frankie Goes to Hollywood's next video.

But then I have never been there.
JOHN-O knows tiki, so if says it's tiki then there ya go.

"Relax don't do it
When you want to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come"

Hi Everyone!

Bootlegger Tiki is getting close to completion and, we are shooting for an opening next week. Hope you can stop by and try one of our crafted cocktail soon.

Cheers,

Gregory Mandallaz
Bootlegger tiki/Ernest coffee co.
General Manager

On 2014-07-31 20:07, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
My wife and I have been to Toucans a couple of times during the day-we were told that it’s almost exclusively “locals” at night. We had a good time and the service was good. The drinks were not very good, Stick to rum and coke. There are a few nice tiki’s and some killer chunk lamps (hanging kine). As I mentioned in another post Toucan’s is Tiki lite. I agree with John-0, it’ s a Tiki Bar.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-07-31 20:10 ]

I've been to Toucan's at night.
It is a legit Tiki bar, and has a fun double entendre.
Yes, lots of Locals.
Bring your dancing shoes.
Of course, it makes dollars and sense that a Tiki bar in Palm Springs would cater to Locals.

The puffer fish and red interior makes Bootlegger look interesting.
Too bad none of these new Tiki bars opened in the Caliente Tropics location, but I love the idea of restoring the original location of Don the Beachcomber.

Mahalo CT295, Gonna drop by Toucans and The Bootlegger as soon as I recover from Oasis.

Pages: 1 23 replies