Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Kon Tiki - Scotland

Pages: 1 31 replies

Hello, just discovered this place and enjoying looking at all the cool bars.

Thought I would share some of my project here on the other side of the Atlantic in Scotland, UK. It's not finished yet, but I'll catch you up to speed with previous posts I've put up on another forum.

The bar is being build in some woodland in my garden.

First had to clear to site and fell a couple of dead trees that might have fallen on the bar.

Then the next step is to build a big deck for it all to sit on. 3m x 6m.

I had put a couple of posts up and the end joist before today, just dragged up the long joists ready to go on...

Untitled by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

This is where I got to just now, the perimeter frame is up, need to add loads more posts to firm it all up then I can start hanging the joists.

You can see from further down the garden that it will be fairly unobtrusive, especially in the summer.

I am reusing an old shed on the deck to act as the bar at one end. The entire side will be hinged so that the whole thing opens up. A tough job will be getting power out to the shed as it is a good 30m from the house and will need a long trench digging.

Just done a quick sketch up of what it will be like. It will be a nautical bar for pirate rum!

Tiki Bar Door Closed by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

Tiki Bar Door Open by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

A bit of progress today, joist hangers in and more posts. Ran out of postcrete though. Had the sparks out today too, it will be a 70m cable run up to the bar. No wonder it's taking me so long to carry all the wood up.

More progress on the Kon Tiki today! Making noggins is tedious. It's nice and solid though. It's slow progress as every bit of wood has to be carried up about 60m from the garage.

1897855_10152018184471220_1383353058_n by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

1896969_10152018184516220_1281866401_n by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

1939487_10152018184596220_1550452781_n by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

Today the first job I haven't done myself, Electrician round to lay the cable up the garden for electricary. Trench dug with a mini digger so we took the opportunity to remove some tree stumps and level part of the garden for a slide/swing combo for the boy for his birthday.

12384_10152030887931220_1504912679_n by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

998156_10152030888056220_1005302479_n by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

1620530_10152030887681220_916612661_n by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

Finished, needs seeding to cover up the work. There will be some landscaping required once the work is all done.

1781995_10152030887096220_1434222209_n by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

A bit more progress on the bar.

This is the shed that is getting "upcycled" to become the bar. It was built on the ground so the bottom bit is rotten. I'm building a frame on the deck and the walls will be fixed to that, then the bottom of the walls rebuilt.

This is the progress on the deck, with the frame for the shed built...

Bit behind updating this. The guys from my car club - The Phantoms - came round to help me lift the shed up on to the frame. That was on 24rd March. It took 10 of us to carry the roof up the garden, there must be a lot of layers of felt on there! This is the shed in place.

You can see how much was rotten at the back!

And here we are up to date, the deck is all on and I've started on the steps...

fter a couple of long days work, things are coming together. Seating area at the front, rails round the edge, stairs all done. Even managed our first BBQ up there today :)

ere's the latest on the Kon Tiki, built the frame for the door today which works well :)

I have decided that the bar wouldn't be a proper Tiki Bar without a couple of proper carved Tiki's so who better to call on than my friend Trader Tark down in Brighton. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trader-Tark-Tiki-Carver/233931886688961 He is carving two Tiki's to sit either side at the top of the stairs. He's been kind enough to take a few photos to show the process.

From the log pile...

Into the car...

To the Brighton...

First cuts...

Matching pair...

Still roughed out at this stage...

I'm driving down south to a car show in July and collecting the Tikis, they will have to ride up in the back seat of my '57 Chevy :D

ome more progress on the Tiki Bar, door is pretty much done now final bit yesterday was to wallpaper the inside! Now there will always be a sunny beach on hand.

Then today local pinstriper Ross Hastie came round to paint some lines on the sideboard I picked up that will be a drinks cabinet :)

The Tiki's are in place now...

That's pretty much where it's up to. Got to fit out the shed/bar itself now.

Hi Nick, That's looking fab. I admire your carving skill and the tiki design. I want one! A creative addition to tropical Scotland.

Scotland needs more Tiki!

N

On 2014-07-31 17:56, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
Hi Nick, That's looking fab. I admire your carving skill and the tiki design. I want one! A creative addition to tropical Scotland.

Thanks but I didn't carve the Tiki's it was Trader Tark down in Brighton, England.

N

On 2014-07-31 18:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Scotland needs more Tiki!

Indeed it does.

PP

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! most impressive sir!!!!! that is a fine example of some skilled carpentry !!! especially since you all only have two seasons, winter and July!!!! love to see some more pix, especially your two free standing tiki statues !!!!! wow!!!

Impressive that you built that whole structure to house your bar. Killer!

I see from your website that your in Dunblane, Scotland
which is in central Scotland if I remember correctly, I spent some time traveling through out
and it is an incredible place full of lovely people

The food, well not so much, but the Pubs more then make up for it
Also some of the most beautiful countrysides & landscapes, I have ever seen.

N

Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

Yes I'm in Dunblane, moved up from London a couple of years back and love it up here. The food is getting better, couple of nice places to eat here now.

We've been doing up the house as well as the bar, it's kind of a mid century style so it all fits together.

House and Chevy by NickGrant.co.uk, on Flickr

[ Edited by: NickGrant 2014-08-01 14:39 ]

Awesome!!!! This is great and fun. Carved those Tikis too. Great job :D.

WOW...you have got some mad building skills. Love the ship's hull. I want to see more of that BBQ...it looks interesting. Welcome to TC...keep it Tiki!!!

Strong work bruddah
Lookin good
Have fun and cheers....

Jon

T

On 2014-08-01 14:38, NickGrant wrote:

Yes I'm in Dunblane, moved up from London a couple of years back and love it up here. The food is getting better, couple of nice places to eat here now.

When someone from England is complaining about the food, you know it's bad. :wink:

I loved England and Scotland. Scotland was beautiful, particularly the Isle of Skye. "Picture-skew" as my tour guide kept saying.

"You can't eat real Polynesian food. It's the most horrible junk I've ever tasted." —Trader Vic Bergeron

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-08-03 09:43 ]

Looking good, Nick! What's the weather like in Scotland? How cold does it get in the winter? Do you get snow? Your woods look like mine in New Jersey, East coast of the States.

The Kon Tiki looks amazing Nick!

My wife NuttyBoltz and I will be in Scotland next month and plan on checking out http://www.tikibarglasgow.com. Have you been?

Any other recommendations for things to do/eat/drink/see in Glasgow, Inverness or Edinburgh?

Nice job dude. Looks different cool vibes.

On 2014-08-03 17:52, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Looking good, Nick! What's the weather like in Scotland? How cold does it get in the winter? Do you get snow? Your woods look like mine in New Jersey, East coast of the States.

Yes we get snow a plenty in the winter, summer hasn't been too good this year either!

On 2014-09-22 11:50, BuzDeadwax wrote:
The Kon Tiki looks amazing Nick!

My wife NuttyBoltz and I will be in Scotland next month and plan on checking out http://www.tikibarglasgow.com. Have you been?

Any other recommendations for things to do/eat/drink/see in Glasgow, Inverness or Edinburgh?

Sorry I missed this at the time, I've still not made it to that bar in Glasgow either as I work in Edinburgh

Been a long time since I updated this thread, finally got round to progressing the interior of the Tiki Bar. One of our neighbours is having all their doors replaced so I've nabbed all the old ones, I've stripped all the hardware off and will be using them to wood panel the shed inside. Bonus was on one of the doors was the drunken octopus who wants to fight hook! That will make it's way into the bar.

Tiki Bat by Nick Grant, on Flickr

Tiki Bar by Nick Grant, on Flickr

More progress. Needed a unit for the bar to be the bar itself so I wanted to put something together that looked like it had been made of bits of driftwood or whatever was lying around, which it was. Used some more of the door for the top. Also finished lining the inside of the shed too with more doors. That makes it all pretty much done with the exception of the electrics, so need to get those finished off.