Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

tin can bar sign

Pages: 1 4 replies

M

so i wanted a small sign for behind the bar and i couldn't find one i liked, then i saw something tikitony did that caught my eye.
he was flattening out old rusty tin cans to use as a canvas for signs.
i didn't have any rusty cans but i know how to accelerate the rusting process so i had myself some soup for lunch (split pea) then got to work on the can.
there's lotsa ways to accelerate rust but i like this method best for cans.
first take the bottom off the can and then cut it up the seam and flatten out the can.
once you're happy with the shape, get out your torch (imagine that, me, using a torch) and burn the surface til it changes colors.

WARNING do not burn the inside of the can for this project, just the outside. the inside is lined with a sealer and i doubt burning it will produce anything you want to be a part of. it will blacken from the heat but shouldn't put off any fumes.

once the can is burned spray the can with hydrogen peroxide til its wet then sprinkle salt where you want it to rust.
different salt gives different results so play around with coarse, fine, kosher or try them all at once.
it should begin to rust imediately.
let it dry completely then scrape off the remaining salt and you should be left wit an old looking piece of tin with an interesting texture.
it's best to seal it with a clear coat at this stage. i recommend matte clear spay paint.
next up paint it any way you want and viola...cool old sign for your bar or beach hut or wherever you do your tiki thing.

i figured since i borrowed tikitony's idea, i might as well try my hand at painting like him as he's one of my favorites.
this is pretty much ripped off from several different tikitony images, not my own.
what is they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?
he oughta be flattered somethin fierce right about now.

[ Edited by: muskrat 2014-08-04 16:59 ]

Very fun sign. I like the rusting technic. Hadn't seen that before.

• Dale

Super cute & creative!

I dig this dude.I may try it in the near future what size can did you use?

M

Sorry for the late reply, I used a cambels chunky soup can.

Pages: 1 4 replies